[comp.dcom.telecom] Noise Reduction

JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet (11/14/90)

  Due to roommate pressure over phone hogging with modem use, I am
putting another line in. However, I will be forced to accept the
existing four-wire, non-twisted-pair that is currently installed,
using the second line of the pair. Based upon previous discussions in
the digest, I expect noise problems with the modem. What can I do to
avoid or minimize this. Hardware solutions may include a new modem but
nothing *too* expensive please.

Jeff Sicherman

jajz801@calstate.bitnet

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (11/17/90)

In article <14692@accuvax.nwu.edu> JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet writes:

> Due to roommate pressure over phone hogging with modem use, I am
>putting another line in. However, I will be forced to accept the
>existing four-wire, non-twisted-pair that is currently installed,
>using the second line of the pair. Based upon previous discussions in
>the Digest, I expect noise problems with the modem. What can I do to
>avoid or minimize this. Hardware solutions may include a new modem but

My advice is: Don't panic.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Try it
out first.  I have been using modems in a residential environment on
standard quad (non-twisted) for a long time and have yet to experience
any significant noise problems.  If the wiring run is fairly short (<
300 ft) and it isn't close to any external noise sources like
fluorescent lights, you might get by just fine.  Some modems are more
imune to noise than others.  I have had good luck with a Supra 2400
and a USR HST.

Ken Abrams        uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell     kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield      (voice) 217-753-7965