[comp.dcom.telecom] Saudi Arabia's Telephone System

76340.2761@compuserve.com (Mike Doughney) (11/03/90)

I'm in the middle of an extended visit to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Here's a summary of the telephone system in the Kingdom.

Telephone Equipment: Stores here sell Japanese, Taiwanese and Korean
telephones of all descriptions; in hotels here I've seen ITT,
Stromberg-Carlson, Northern Telecom, and French made phones.  American
phones work here without electrical modification, but there's no
standardization on connectors. In addition to the RJ11 and four pin
plugs used in the U.S., a two pin plug, a plug with four large pins in
a trapezoid arrangement, and a three wire slot type plug are also seen
here.  Every building is different, depending on what organization
built it, and this lack of standardization extends to the AC power,
which is 120 volts on U.S. type connectors or 220 on European two-pin
or U.S. type connectors.

I noticed in a newspaper article here that Hitachi switches are one of
the brands used.  Dial-tone, busy and ringing sounds are European, but
hotel PBX's and certain exchanges provide U.S. type dial tone.  I
haven't had any difficulty completing local calls here, and
transmission quality is generally good.

Since I haven't seen any standard phone type in businesses here, I'm
fairly sure that the Ministry of PTT doesn't usually provide a phone.
Some stores sell a Korean made phone which has the Saudi logo and both
Arabic and Western numerals on the keys.  (Yes, numerals here are
completely different from those used in most languages.)  Touch-tone
service is apparently standard at no extra cost.

Calling Area: The entire city of Riyadh and a few small towns nearby
are a local calling area.  Calls in this area cost 0.05 Saudi Riyals
(1.3 cents) per six minutes from a private phone, or 0.10 SR per
minute from a pay phone.

Calls outside this area, but inside the country, range from 0.20 SR
(5.3 cents) to 1.50 SR (40 cents) per minute; a nearby city about 60
km away is in the 0.20 SR band.

Kingdom-wide toll-free 800 number service is available; some of these
numbers begin with 1.  USA Direct service was temporarily available on
1-800-100; I don't know if it's still available as the PBX I'm on
won't allow me to dial the number.

International Calling: Direct international dialing is available from
private phones, the access code is '00'.  International calls are
allowed from specially marked payphones only.  Cuba, Czechoslovakia,
East Germany, Hungary, and Yugoslavia are listed in the phone book as
direct dial countries, while the USSR, Poland, Romania and China are
listed in the rate directory but are not direct dialable.  Israel is
not included in either list.

Rates to the continental US are 9 SR ($2.40) per minute direct dialed,
36 SR ($9.63) first three minutes station to station operator handled
and 9 SR each additional. Alaska is 16 SR ($4.26), Hawaii is 18 SR
($4.81) and Puerto Rico is 22 SR ($5.87) per minute direct dialed.
For all countries there is a 20% discount from 23:00 to 08:00 daily,
except for the UK and the US where regular rates apply between 08:00
Thursday to 23:00 on Saturday.  The weekend here is Thursday and
Friday.

Rates to the adjacent countries of Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and
United Arab Emirates are 3.50SR ($0.93) per minute, and 2.45SR ($0.65)
per minute from 22:00 to 08:00 daily, Friday from 08:00 to 22:00, and
on certain Islamic holidays.

The rate list includes "Antarctic" at 18 SR per minute direct dialed.
I think this was some kind of inside joke!

The Phone Book: The phone book is two volumes: an English and an
Arabic version. Both look a lot like a standard American phone book,
with a big color photo on the cover and a modified Yellow Pages logo.
It almost looks like American workers had a hand in its production;
the Yellow Pages includes all the little promotional ads like "There
are eight directories Kingdom-wide - increase your business by advertising
in more than one" and "The Yellow Pages works 365 days a year"; also
lots of reminders to "Call before you dig".

There's a full page section on how to make Inmarsat telephone and
telex calls; calls from the Kingdom to a ship are billed at 24 SR
($6.42) per minute.  Mobile telephone service is advertised; it is
some type of VHF system and not cellular as we know it.

Emergency, business office, and directory assistance numbers are
three digit numbers in the 900 range.  Telephone exchanges begin
with 220 and end at 786; apparently there are none starting with
8 or 9, at least in Riyadh.  All phone numbers are 7 digits.
Police is 999, fire is 998, ambulance is 997, traffic police is
993, and a "speaking clock" in English is on 963.

There are maps showing where the subscription and billing offices are
located, and a detailed city map showing the areas that each exchange
serves.  The term "NXX" is used on the map and on a table showing the
different billing cycles by exchange number.  The term "rate center"
is used on the national rate chart.

Send followups/questions directly to me, I'm not regularly reading the
Digest right now.

Mike Doughney, IDB Communications Group Inc.
Unit K-5, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia  (76340.2761@compuserve.com)
"Affiliation given for identification purposes only"

[Moderator's Note: Thanks for an excellent report! And for those with
followups, do please send them to the Digest as well as direct to the
writer.  Thanks.  PAT]

HWT@bnr.ca (Henry Troup) (11/06/90)

Mike Doughney writes:

> It almost looks like American workers had a hand in its production;

Bell Canada built and used to operate the Saudi phone system, on
contract for the government.  I think that the latest operations
contract went to someone else.

So the central office switches will be a mix of 1-ESS and DMS-100/200,
as my memory of the Saudi connection is that it goes back twenty years
or so.

mh2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Hahn) (11/07/90)

For what it is worth, the previous description didn't mention the
Aramco telephone system, to which many if not most American
expatriates are connected.  (Aramco is the oil co.)

To call my old home phone, dial 011-966-387-42688.  011-966 is, of
course, the international access for Saudi.  3 is, I think the escape
for Aramco.  87 is, I think, the city code for Dhahran.

BEWARE: all this is based on recollections from a few years ago.  it's
also (mildly) interesting to note that the Aramco system began with
very few digits, and gradually added more.  my first number (in 1970)
was 2912, then 22912, and so on.

Regards,

Mark

jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Jim Breen) (11/07/90)

In article <14369@accuvax.nwu.edu>, HWT@bnr.ca (Henry Troup) writes:

> Mike Doughney writes:

> It almost looks like American workers had a hand in its production;

> Bell Canada built and used to operate the Saudi phone system, on
> contract for the government.  I think that the latest operations
> contract went to someone else.

It sure did; Telecom Australia International. There was a lot of news
about it here as all the dependants of the Australian staff were
evacuated in fear of an Iraki invasion.

> So the central office switches will be a mix of 1-ESS and DMS-100/200,
> as my memory of the Saudi connection is that it goes back twenty years
> or so.

 From memory there are a lot of Ericcson AXE switches.

Jim Breen ($B?@Ip(J) (jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au) Dept of
     Robotics & Digital Technology. Monash University
       PO Box 197 Caulfield East VIC 3145 Australia
         (ph) +61 3 573 2552 (fax) +61 3 573 2745

thurston@fastnet.mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk (Peter Thurston) (11/07/90)

(Various bits on who runs the Saudi phone system)

I seem to remember when interviewed for a job at (the then) Philips
TMC (In Malmsbury, UK) their pride and joy was the Saudi contact. We
waw videos showing how many times round the moon their cable
installations could reach. The switches were Philips PRX. I got thge
impression that the contact involved the whole country, but then again
 ... it WAS a promotional video. On a different tack, somewhere I
remember being told that internal calls in Saudi Arabia are all free?

Peter Thurston
MRC-APU Cambridge  PRESTEL MAILBOX 095452219

[Moderator's Note: Speaking of Saudi Arabia and admittedly taking some
privileges as Moderator, it now appears war is imminent, based on
President Bush's remarks Thursday. Bad, bad news ... Whatever; I hope
it does not go on for years like Viet Nam which I remember all too
painfully, all too well. I guess Bush will do what he must do, but
let's -- as the Post Office stamp cancellation used to say -- pray for
peace. I feel pretty disheartened by it all.  PAT]

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (11/07/90)

In article <14369@accuvax.nwu.edu> HWT@bnr.ca (Henry Troup) writes:

>So the central office switches will be a mix of 1-ESS and DMS-100/200,
>as my memory of the Saudi connection is that it goes back twenty years
>or so.

 From what I am told by some people who were involoved in that project
you can add SL-1 PBX's to the list of "CO" equipment used!

Vance Shipley
vances@ltg

hw@tts.lth.se (Hakan Winkvist) (11/12/90)

In article <14369@accuvax.nwu.edu> HWT@bnr.ca (Henry Troup) writes:

>Mike Doughney writes:

>> It almost looks like American workers had a hand in its production;

>Bell Canada built and used to operate the Saudi phone system, on
>contract for the government.  I think that the latest operations
>contract went to someone else.

>So the central office switches will be a mix of 1-ESS and DMS-100/200,
>as my memory of the Saudi connection is that it goes back twenty years
>or so.

In Saudi Arabia existed a few years back following number of switches
in the public telephone network:

   4      Ericsson     ARE 13     transit switches
around 60 Ericsson     AXE 10     as both local and transit switches.
                                  Some of the transit switches are used
                                  to switch cellular mobile traffic
                                  according to the NMT-450 system.
around 10 Ericsson     ARE 11     local switches.
          Philips      PRX        local switches, mostly rural.
          Philips/AT&T PRX-D/ESS5 Local switches
  10      Hitachi                 local containerized switches.
                                  (Old crossbar switches)
   2      AT&T         ESS1A      Used at the international airports in
                                  Jeddah and Riyadh.

Hakan Winkvist

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (11/17/90)

In article <14369@accuvax.nwu.edu> HWT@bnr.ca (Henry Troup) writes:

>Mike Doughney writes:

>> It almost looks like American workers had a hand in its production;

>Bell Canada built and used to operate the Saudi phone system, on
>contract for the government.  I think that the latest operations
>contract went to someone else.

	As someone else pointed out, there is also the Aramco system,
and I happen to know that AT&T also built and maintained a telecom
system in KSA.

	My employer is currently under contract to deliver and deploy
yet another (independent, unconnected) telecom network to Saudi
Arabia, as part of their air defense system. This one will use the
European TDM hierarchy rather than the North American; the switches,
last I knew, were going to be ITT/Alcatel System 10s.

Jeff Carroll
carroll@atc.boeing.com