[comp.dcom.telecom] GTE Mobilnet's Response

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/14/90)

I had no actual conversation with anyone at GTE Mobilnet today
concerning their blocking of international dialing. We played
voicemail tag. I left a stern message concerning the attitude toward
customers, treating them all like crooks. A responding message
indicated that they simply were trying to reduce loss. I responded
with the comment that it was their problem and that I was going to
investigate Cellular One.

And then the surprise. There was a message informing me that
international dialing had been reinstated on my two accounts! There
was no other comment, but IDDD does work on my cellular phones.

Apparently the "national policy" isn't carved in stone.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

JDurand@cup.portal.com (11/18/90)

In Message-ID: <14712@accuvax.nwu.edu> john@bovine.ati.com (John
Higdon) writes:

>I had no actual conversation with anyone at GTE Mobilnet today
>concerning their blocking of international dialing. We played

>And then the surprise. There was a message informing me that
>international dialing had been reinstated on my two accounts! There
>was no other comment, but IDDD does work on my cellular phones.

I called the local GTE customer service number (*611, San Jose, CA
area) and to my surprise they answered before my batteries died! (8-)
I asked about getting IDDD turned back on since I have customers in
several countries.  The CS person told me to dial *111 (trouble
number, sometimes answered).  The person there told me to call Roxann
Metzger (sp?) at the original CS number.  I finally got through to her
and within an hour of talking to her my phone was working again.
Since she didn't argue more than a minute or two, I assume John had
just gotten done with her (thanks John).

Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.,
408 356-3886,    jdurand@cup.portal.com