[comp.dcom.telecom] Genie Star*Services

JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet (11/12/90)

   Since Prodigy has come up recently in the Digest, does anybody have
any experience with the new Genie Star*Services - a $4.95/mo flat rate
competitor to Prodigy. Offers a subset of regular Genie services
(email specifically excluded as yet, I believe). Besides being cheaper
I'm considering recommending it because of the speed considerations:
none of the graphics that slows down Prodigy and would like to hear
about actual comparisons.

Jeff Sicherman
jajz801@calstate.bitnet

dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David Tamkin) (11/13/90)

Jeff Sicherman wrote in volume 10, issue 809:

|    Since Prodigy has come up recently in the Digest, does anybody have
| any experience with the new Genie Star*Services - a $4.95/mo flat rate
| competitor to Prodigy. Offers a subset of regular Genie services
| (email specifically excluded as yet, I believe).

On the contrary, email is specifically *in*cluded.  Time spent on line
composing, sending, and reading text email is covered in the flat rate
during non-prime hours (evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays).
Time spent uploading and downloading binary email, however, costs the
usual $6/hour during non-prime time and $18/hour during prime time.

| Besides being cheaper I'm considering recommending it because of the
| speed considerations: none of the graphics that slows down Prodigy
| and would like to hear about actual comparisons.

Not only is GEnie far faster than Prodigy is said to be and not
limited to proprietary terminal software available for only two
machines, but also there is no constant barrage of advertising.  (Lest
I sound too praiseworthy, I'm not in love with GEnie but it's hard to
make anything look bad in comparison to what I hear and know about
Prodigy.)  GEnie customers speculated that the new pricing was a
response to Prodigy's and perhaps Delphi's rates, but then Prodigy
raised its rates and surcharged higher volumes of outgoing email.

As a general rule, Star*Services cover text email, information bases,
and the text areas of non-tech roundtables.  Computer-topic round-
tables, real-time conversation, and file transfers still carry connect
charges.  During prime time, all of GEnie has a connect time charge.

But to say "Star*Services are a subset of regular GEnie services" can
be misleading.  Star*Services are a proper subset of the whole of
GEnie, yes, in that some parts of the system are not covered by the
monthly fee and a connect time charge still applies in them.  However,
Star*Services are not a separately subscribable option (GEnie's
original releases made that very unclear), and you cannot set up an
account that is restricted by GEnie to staying inside the flat-rate
areas (you can stay inside them by self-discipline, of course), nor
can you opt out of Star*Services and pay connect charges in all parts
of the system instead of the $4.95 monthly fee.

GEnie personnel explained the conversion to me as follows: all GEnie
accounts, starting October 1, 1990, are under the Star*Services plan.
The choice given on line to existing accounts during August and
September was between consenting to the new rate structure as of
October 1 and having your account canceled as of October 1 if you
didn't like the new arrangement (say, you used GEnie for a few minutes
a month and didn't feel you would get $4.95 worth out of it under the
new rates).  That way people who simply stopped using GEnie as of
October 1, 1990 (or hadn't been using it during August or September
and didn't know about the change), wouldn't get charged the $4.95 a
month unless they logged in and used the system.

Anyone who hadn't consented to the change by September 30 and logged
in on or after October 1 had (and still has) to pick the new rate
structure or immediate cancellation.  (By then all customers with
valid addresses on file should have received hardcopy about the
change.)  Any actual use of the system on or after October 1 requires
consent to Star*Services pricing.  Pre-existing accounts for which the
customer doesn't make a choice by March 31, 1991, will be deemed
canceled.

Also, in volume 10, issue 810, David Lesher attributed this to me:

> |"If you have a problem and want BETTER service, call J. C. Penney at
> |xxx.xxxx"

> |Followed, after a modestly long pause, by some suitable message for
> |callers to Dave or Dan.

This is one time Mr. Lesher didn't get it straight from the horse's
mouth, because I didn't write that!  Barton Bruce did.  Not only does
Mr. Bruce deserve credit for his own words, but moreover those are
words with which I disagree strongly: the wrong numbers are not Sears
Roebuck's fault (as they would be if, say, Sears had distributed
advertising with a misprinted telephone number) and should not be
taken out on Sears.  Now, "Sears Roebuck and Company's number is
XY*A*-5600, but they won't sell anything to people who are so stupid
that they can't even dial a telephone" wouldn't bother me a bit.

David Tamkin  Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  708 518 6769  312 693 0591
MCI Mail: 426-1818  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570   dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com

[Moderator's Note: David recently attended an 'open house' sponsored
by Centel at their central office here. Perhaps he will write an
article for the Digest soon talking about the affair.   PAT]

mvp@hsv3.uucp (Mike Van Pelt) (11/13/90)

In article <14575@accuvax.nwu.edu> JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet writes:

>   Since Prodigy has come up recently in the Digest, does anybody have
>any experience with the new Genie Star*Services - a $4.95/mo flat rate
>competitor to Prodigy. Offers a subset of regular Genie services
>(email specifically excluded as yet, I believe). Besides being cheaper

Email is specifically *IN*cluded.  For your flat $4.95/mo, you have
unlimited Email, and unlimited use of the things on Star*Services,
which includes most of the "chat" type Roundtables.  What is excluded
is mostly (1) file X/Y/Zmodem upload/download, (2) Realtime
Conferencing (Like Compu$erve's "CB Simulator") and (3) all of the
computer-related Roundtables.

There's nothing different you have to do to access the non-flat-rate
services.  Just remember that when you enter one of those sections,
the clock starts ticking.

>I'm considering recommending it because of the speed considerations:
>none of the graphics that slows down Prodigy and would like to hear
>about actual comparisons.

There isn't any comparison.  It is vastly faster, as it's ASCII, not
some graphics protocol.  You can use your favorite terminal program.
The commands might be confusing to a computer novice, but GEnie has a
"Smart front-end" called "Aladdin" which takes care of all that for
Email and Roundtable BBS'ing.

Configuring Aladdin would probably be confusing for a computer novice,
but using it is very simple.  Start up Aladdin, hit "1" for pass one,
and go out to dinner while it calls in and retrieves your email and
all new messages on your roundtables, then hangs up.  When you return,
read and reply offline with a "mini-wordstar" type editor, then hit
"2" for pass two, and go watch the Simpsons while your messages are
sent.  Very nice.  I mostly use just the Star*Services, but Aladdin
would be even more of a win if you're using the $6/hour services.

Aladdin is free, except for the cost to download it via Zmodem or
whatever, and there is no restriction on handing it out to others, so
it may be available on your local BBS.  You need version 1.30 for the
new Genie command structure.

I just hope the flat rate isn't a "bait-and-switch" ... Even if it is,
and they go back to $6/hour, I think that with Aladdin it will be
cheaper than Prodigy, no matter what your Email usage is.

A disadvantage is that you can't use it between 7AM and 6PM, or they
sock you for $18/hour.

Mike Van Pelt
Headland Technology/Video 7
 ...ames!vsi1!v7fs1!mvp

IO00930%MAINE.BITNET@vm1.gatech.edu (11/19/90)

    I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get in contact with
Genie to get some information about the system.

Thanks,

Dave