[comp.dcom.telecom] Funky Boundaries

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (11/20/90)

In article <14704@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

[explanation of the shape of Area Code 409: a torus]

>[Moderator's Note: Carl, I think you might agree that 312/708 has some
>odd boundary lines also, with one small section of 312 completely
>surrounded by 708 at Ohare Airport and one section of 708 completely
>surrounded by 312 on the northwest side of Chicago in an area not
>actually in the city.  PAT]

This reminds me of a really weird case on the Dutch/Belgian border.
When the United Netherlands split up, the lands near the village of
Baarle were assigned based on the feudal landholder.  In medieval
times, it was common for different landholders to own widely scattered
plots rather than contiguous stretches of land.

As a result, there are thirteen enclaves of Belgian territory within
the main body of the Netherlands.  Seven of these enclaves contain
sub-enclaves of Dutch territory, and there is an additional Dutch
enclave within Belgium.  There are a lot of buildings divided between
two countries, and the main road crosses a frontier something like
eight times within a few miles (marked only by a flag by the
roadside).

Since Dutch and Belgian regulations for commercial enterprises differ
substantially, there are stores with two different inventories,
containing items that may not be legally bought on certain days (like
Sundays) in one country or the other.  In fact, the whole area is
pretty much one big shopping center for this reason.

Unfortunately, I don't know the telecom situation there.  Does anyone?
(Minor concession to the Digest's charter.)

cowan@marob.masa.com			(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)