[comp.dcom.telecom] Description of ATT Mail ACCESS

ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com (Ed Hopper) (11/18/90)

nelson%odin.corp.sgi.com@sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) writes:

> Executive (:-) Summary: If you have and use AT&T Mail's "ACCESS"
> program for the PC or MacIntosh, please write a description of how it
> works, how you use it, how user-friendly it is, etc, and mail it to me
> or post it to the TELECOM Digest (comp.dcom.telecom).

1. Use of ACCESS is absolutely OPTIONAL.  I use Procomm and QModem on
AT&T Mail all the time (plus various VT100 clone dumb terminals).

2. ACCESS presents the standard AT&T Mail offline user interface.
It looks like this:
                                              --IN--
+-----+-----+    +---------------------------------------------------------+
|     |     |    |                                                         |
|     |     |    |                                                         |
+-----+-----+    |                                                         |
|     |     |    |                                                         |
|     |     |    |                                                         |
+-----+-----+    |---------------------------------------------------------|                                                         |
|     |     |
|     |     |                                 --OUT--
+-----+-----+    |---------------------------------------------------------|                                                         |
|     |     |    |                                                         |
|     |     |    |                                                         |
+-----+-----+    |                                                         |
|     |     |    |                                                         |
|     |     |    |                                                         |
+-----+-----+    |---------------------------------------------------------|

Across the left side of the screen are ten boxes arranged in five rows
of two.  Each corresponds with a function key.  They cover functions
like READ, CREATE, DELETE, MOVE, COPY, FORWARD, SEND, RECEIVE, etc.
Press a function key to perform the desired function.

On the right 2/3's of the screen are the in/out boxes. Incoming mail
messages are shown in the upper box, outgoing in the lower.  These
boxes can be switched to show other "folders" (subdirectories) as
desired.

When you press send or receive (there is also a SEND&RECEIVE option),
a script is executed to dial up AT&T Mail, download mail in batch mode
and upload pending outbound mail.  It's all automatic and pretty goof
proof.

The nice thing about ACCESS is that it handles adressing for some of
the options like RECEIPT, COD and paper delivery easily.  It also
allows binary file attachment and detachment to messages.

Messages created with ACCESS or sent via UUCP from a UNIX box do not
have message creation charges associated with them.  Messages entered
online do have such charges.  Unfortunately, messages edited offline
and sent up via XModem from Procomm, etc. also have "creation"
charges.

All in all, ACCESS is OK, not fabulous. It is certainly not necessary.

There are versions of ACCESS for AT&T UNIX systems (PMX/TERM) and for
NetBIOS and Novell LANs (PMX/StarMAIL). All present the same visual
interface.

Ed Hopper

avigross@attmail.att.com (Avi E Gross) (11/20/90)

In article <14799@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com (Ed Hopper)
wrote about the subject matter.

I want to add a few facts/opinions to Ed's excellent answer.  ATTMAIL
consists of a "core" network and MANY premises products. I work on
designing the core network, but can talk informally ( #include
<standard-disclaimer.h> ) about the premises products that can be used
to "access" the network.  As Ed says, there has been a "standard"
appearance to the premises mailers, so that the UNIX variant
(PMX/TERM), DOS variants (latest is ACCESS PLUS, with some ACCESS I
and ACCESS II still in the field) and various LAN based versions look
like they belong in the same family. The Mac version, ACCESS III, has
a look of its own, and the look will continue to evolve as more modern
versions are produced using graphical interfaces.  Other versions are
also being developed to support foreign languages, etc.

These are not designed to act as terminal emulators. They are
full-fledged mailers using local resources as much as possible. This
saves not only message-creation charges, but also on storage charges
(you can store messages in folders on the core network) and automates
receiving shared-folder messages (sort of like netnews). For ACCESS
PLUS, a number of options are available such as running the mailer in
the background, calling up a foreground mailer as a TSR, having a
directory pop-up as a TSR, being notified when messages arrive (when
your software checks on a regular basis in the foreground) and even
have the service phone your PC to have it pick up new mail within 15
minutes of arrival.

Other advantages of using an ACCESS (or PMX) product are the ability
to deal with messages that contain non-standard-text within them. For
example, you can attach (and detach) arbitrary objects to the message.
I often send executables, spreadsheets, etc to someone that can detach
and use them.  I also prefer a full-screen interface (along with
better editing functionality) than the On-Line User Agent.

I can't say much more without releasing proprietary information, but
many improvements are already being added. We are also working on
changing our orientation to include "smaller" customers. I suspect one
reason why some people have complained about problems with getting
various aspects of ATTMAIL shown/sold to them is because the sales
force was focused on larger customers that buy 1000 accounts or
software packages at a time. We are changing since we are interested
in becoming a major player in the electronic communication market.
Email is just one part of the market that we are dealing with. We also
are deeply involved with EDI (machine to machine) and FAX (both FAX to
FAX and text to FAX, with more to come) and we connect to many other
domains such as X.400, and synchronous gateways.

I feel we have a great product and are improving it all the time. We
are continuing to work at getting the facts out about our product. I
will be happy to answer additional email, within the bounds of
information that I can release at this time.

Avi E. Gross @ AT&T LZ 3B-211  (201) 576-3218
attmail!avigross     or       att!pegasus!avi