[comp.dcom.telecom] Neat Trick

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (11/20/90)

In article <68873@bu.edu.bu.edu> Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.
z1.fidonet.org (Jack Winslade) writes:

>This idea was reinforced when an employee of AT&T Long Lines told me
>that there was a good chance that after several months, after the
>billing tapes were changed several times or something like that, there
>was a good chance that the equipment would 'forget' about the
>connection and never bill at all, even if/when it was terminated.

We weren't doing LD, but...

A local eight-line chat system (RoundTable), possibly the first such
system in the states, was finally going down.  Several of us decided
to stay on until the bitter end -- when Ma Bell disconnected service.

Disconnection day came and went.  We were still on line.  If we tried
to dial in, we got a "not in service" message.  Ten days after SWBT
said the service was cancelled, I was the last person on line.  (I got
disconnected by Houston Looting and Plunder; they can't keep steady
power for more than a week or two w/o something going wrong.)

So here's the scam: start a number, make a solid connection, then
cancel the service.  At $100 per installation, you'd have to go four
months before you broke even, however... :-)

J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120
EastEnders list: eastender@karazm.math.uh.edu
Skate UNIX(r)