[comp.dcom.telecom] Request Info Sources About ISDN

wdh@gatech.edu (Weaver Hickerson) (11/06/90)

Patrick,

Can you recommend sources of info about ISDN?  I'm afraid my telecom
expertise is sorely lacking, although I read the Digest with interest.

I'm interested in finding what types, if any, of AT bus hardware is
available/in the works for ISDN, as well as simply learning more about
the service.

Thanks for any pointers.

Weaver

mao@postgres.berkeley.edu (Mike Olson) (11/09/90)

In <14447@accuvax.nwu.edu>, holos0!wdh@gatech.edu (Weaver Hickerson)
writes:

> I'm interested in finding what types, if any, of AT bus hardware is
> available/in the works for ISDN, as well as simply learning more about
> the service.

If you have shelf space to burn and want the info for free, you can
call Advanced Micro Devices and ask for their ISDN databook.  They
tell you what sort of ISDN chips they manufacture and sell, and give a
reasonably good introduction to the topic.  Best of all, it's free;
they even pay shipping, on the assumption that you're more likely to
buy their chips if you know they exist.

To order, call 800 538 8450 and ask for x2264.  They have data books
and app notes on just about everything digital that goes on; ask
specifically for stuff on ISDN.

Other chip manufacturers almost certainly offer the same service, so
you could try your favorite, if you want.

By the way, for folks outside the US, call +1 408 732 2400, same
extension.

No affiliation with AMD (except I have their ISDN databook)...

Mike Olson, UC Berkeley

arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold Robbins) (11/09/90)

In article <14447@accuvax.nwu.edu> holos0!wdh@gatech.edu (Weaver
Hickerson) writes:

>I'm interested in finding what types, if any, of AT bus hardware is
>available/in the works for ISDN, as well as simply learning more about
>the service.

At SuperComm '90 this past spring, AT&T had a huge "booth".  One of
the things they showed was an ISDN card for the AT bus.  So, I know it
exists.

However, my experience has been that AT&T is *SO* large that finding
someone who knows what you want so that you can order it is next to
impossible.

Good luck,

Arnold Robbins				AudioFAX, Inc.
2000 Powers Ferry Road, #200 / Marietta, GA. 30067
INTERNET: arnold@audiofax.com Phone:   +1 404 933 7612
UUCP:	  emory!audfax!arnold Fax-box: +1 404 618 4581

lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) (11/11/90)

arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold Robbins) writes:

>In article <14447@accuvax.nwu.edu> holos0!wdh@gatech.edu (Weaver
>Hickerson) writes:

>>I'm interested in finding what types, if any, of AT bus hardware is
>>available/in the works for ISDN, as well as simply learning more about
>>the service.

>At SuperComm '90 this past spring, AT&T had a huge "booth".  One of
>the things they showed was an ISDN card for the AT bus.  So, I know it
>exists.

I remember seeing on Hayes (the modem people) 800 BBS an announcement
for their new ISDN Card.  It was going to have full "narrowband"
(read: present 'standard') ISDN compatibility, and should have been
introduced by now.  I believe the number to Hayes' BBS is (was?)
800-US-HAYES.  Perhaps someone from Hayes reads this and will comment
on a confirmation, price, etc.

David E. Lemson UofI Computing Svcs Student Consultant
Internet : lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu  University of Illinois, Urbana

esmith@goofy.apple.com (Eric Smith) (11/13/90)

In article <14545@accuvax.nwu.edu>  arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.
emory.edu (Arnold Robbins) writes:

> However, my experience has been that AT&T is *SO* large that finding
> someone who knows what you want so that you can order it is next to
> impossible.

No kidding!  I want to get information on AT&T 7500 series ISDN data
sets and voice terminals, and possibly to buy some.  I called AT&T
Direct.  They never heard of them.  They said that the 7500 series are
"probably obsolete."

I called AT&T Business Telephone Systems & Facsimile.  I called AT&T
PBX & Data Systems.  I called the local AT&T Business Marketing Sales
Office.  People at each of these offices denied the existence of any
7500 series devices, although I suspect that some of the people I
spoke to were using them.  I know the local AT&T Microelectronics
office has them.

Each AT&T employee gave me another number to try.  Eventually I spoke
to one woman a second time, and she tried harder to help me.  She was
able to come up with a ComCode for the 7507 (105-678-304), at a price
of $1080, but she didn't have any information on it, and AT&T's
national parts center (or whatever it is called) doesn't carry them.

The Business Telephone Systems people and the Business Marketing Sales
Office people didn't want to talk to me because I don't own an AT&T
PBX, or have an account with AT&T.

If I were an AT&T stock holder, I would be very upset that they are
trying very hard NOT to sell their products.  Anybody got a good
suggestion for a *responsible* person at AT&T to whom I can write?

Eric L. Smith      Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those
esmith@apple.com   of my employer, friends, family, computer, or even me!  :-)

hutch@tsdiag.ocpt.ccur.com (11/20/90)

arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold Robbins) writes:

> >In article <14447@accuvax.nwu.edu> holos0!wdh@gatech.edu (Weaver
> >Hickerson) writes:

> >>I'm interested in finding what types, if any, of AT bus hardware is
> >>available/in the works for ISDN, as well as simply learning more about
> >>the service.

> >At SuperComm '90 this past spring, AT&T had a huge "booth".  One of
> >the things they showed was an ISDN card for the AT bus.  So, I know it
> >exists.

> I remember seeing on Hayes (the modem people) 800 BBS an announcement
> for their new ISDN Card.  It was going to have full "narrowband"
> (read: present 'standard') ISDN compatibility, and should have been
> introduced by now.  I believe the number to Hayes' BBS is (was?)
> 800-US-HAYES.  Perhaps someone from Hayes reads this and will comment
> on a confirmation, price, etc.

As far as I know there are several AT products available.  I know
about the following AT-BRI cards:

1) AT&T PC/ISDN Interface
	Q.931 (AT&T Standard) signaling on D-Channel
	X.25 on D-channel
	X.25 PAD on D-channel (15 Virtual Circuits)
	DMI Mode 2 on B-channel
	DMI Mode 3 on B-channel

	connection for handset, ISDN telephone
	s/t interface
	MC 68000 based (I think 10Mhz)
	DOS support, developer's toolkit available
	was reviewed in December (maybe November) 1989 PC Magazine

2) AT&T PCTA (Model 1000)
	Q.931 signaling on D-channel (AT&T Standard)
	X.25 with PAD on D-channel (single VC)
	connection for analog phone
	was mentioned in PC week a while back

3) Teleos (forgot the model number PC100?)
	Q.931
	X.25 on D-channel
	V.120 on B-channel

	MC 68000 based (I think 12 Mhz)
	S/T Interface
	attached analog phone
	DOS and UNIX support (UNIX driver comes from Lachman, I believe)

4) Intel PC53
	Q.931
	D and B-channel data (I can't remember specifics)
	Intel 81088 based
	S/T Interface
	attached analog phone
	DOS support

There are a few others besides these, you might want to check Sept 17,
1990 issue of Communications Week and the PC Mag from late 1989 for
more info.  I believe that Hayes and Vadis are no longer supplying
ISDN AT boards as well as Progressive Computing (please correct me if
I'm wrong).

If you have any questions, you can either send me email at
princeton!sinc!hutch (best) or call (after hours but not too late at
609-443-3028).