[comp.dcom.telecom] Headhunters and Voicemail

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (11/20/90)

In article <14785@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

> All in all, anyone in business is deluged with junk calls all day
> long.  Investments, office products, insurance, invoice factoring,
> collection services, and charities of every manner and description are
> just some of the garbage that attempts to enter via the telephone.

You forgot headhunters!  There's even a recent twist.  Here's some
background: I work in PA.  I have a T1 to an office in MD where I have
a voice mailbox.  My unanswered calls go to my mailbox in MD (I am
seldom actually in MD).

On more than one occasion, I've had headhunters leave messages for me
on my mailbox (even while I was taking calls in PA).  I don't call
them back anymore, but the first time that I did, the guy clearly
thought I might be interested in a job in MD.  I'm guessing that these
guys are coming in over automated attendants and guessing at
extensions or spellings until they get mailboxes (there's no company
phonebook, etc, that even slightly implies that I might be reachable
in MD, nor does anyone know my mailbox number there but me).

Now I can ignore them fairly well; they're usually from Someone
Associates and tend to leave me a DC-area seven digit phone number.  I
suspect I could call them back and maybe shake them down, but I
haven't bothered yet.

Anyone heard of similar stuff lately?

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw