[comp.dcom.telecom] Request for Cellular Tech Info

djcl@contact.uucp (woody) (11/14/90)

I am forwarding a request for cellular info made by someone on the BBS
I operate ... e-mail responses would be appreciated.

Perhaps someone out there in the know might want to whip up a
reference file on cellular tech details and that, suitable for TD
Archives.

 Msg#   : 286    Tue 6 Nov 90 11:08p
 From   : Alan Wilcocks-Gynn
 To     : All
 Subject: Cellular Control Channel Format
Can anyone tell me how I can get access to the following information:

  -Physical data format for cellular control channels.
  -Control channel protocol.
  -Differences (if any) between Cantel and Bell Cellular control formats.

  Thanks.

 --- Maximus-CBCS v1.02
 * Origin:  (89:480/126)

tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby Nixon) (11/21/90)

In article <14778@accuvax.nwu.edu>, djcl@contact.uucp (woody) writes:

>  From   : Alan Wilcocks-Gynn
>  Subject: Cellular Control Channel Format

> Can anyone tell me how I can get access to the following information:

>   -Physical data format for cellular control channels.
>   -Control channel protocol.
>   -Differences (if any) between Cantel and Bell Cellular control formats.

In the USA, standards for cellular system operation are developed by
TIA (Telecommunications Industry Association) technical committee
TR-41 and its subcommittees.  Some of these standards (with TIA
prices) are:

EIA/TIA-553 "Mobile Station-Land Station Compatibility Standard" $27

EIA/TIA-IS-19-B "Recommended Minimum Standards for 800-MHz Cellular
Subscriber Units" $24

EIA/TIA-IS-20-A "Recommended Minimum Standards for 800-MHz Cellular
Land Stations" $20

EIA/TIA-IS-41 "Cellular Radiotelecommunications Intersystem
Operations" (five parts: IS-41.1 "Functional Overview", $11;

IS-41.2 "Intersystem Handoff", $14; IS-41.3 "Automatic Roaming", $11;

IS-41.4 "Operations, Administration, and Maintenance", $14; IS-41.5
"Data Communication", $39)

EIA/TIA-IS-52 "Uniform Dialing Procedures and Call Processing
Treatment for Use in Cellular Radio Telecommunications" $18

EIA/TIA-IS-54 "Dual Mode Mobile Station-Base Station Compatibility
Standard" (not sure of price)

TIA-TSB-16 "Assignment of Access Overload Classes in the Cellular
Telecommunications Services" $11

TIA-TSB-17  "Uniform Dialing Procedures in the Cellular
Telecommunications Services"  $11

TIA-TSB-21 "Uniform Cellular Feature Code and Service Code Dialing
Plan" $11

One or more of these documents would contain the answers to your
questions.  These documents can be ordered from: EIA Engineering
Department, Standards Sales, 2001 Eye Street NW, Washington DC 20006;
(202) 457-4966.  They accept checks, Visa, or MasterCard.

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                   UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net