[comp.dcom.telecom] Microsoft Use of 900 Number for Tech Support

Tad.Cook@beaver.cs.washington.edu (11/08/90)

In article <14334@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

> Any company (Microsoft) that would subject customers to a 900 number
> to reach technical support is way down on the food chain, IMHO.

Higdon has a HUMBLE OPINION??!?  No, but seriously, they recently
instituted this for support of MS DOS ONLY ... all their applications
support is free.  Since they didn't sell DOS themselves, but only
licensed it to other companies, for years they didn't support it
directly.  This is now changing, and I am sure that the 900 number is
an effective filter for all the millions of DOS copies out there.  Can
you imagine, in place of the 900 number, if they did a "can I have
your registration number please"?

> I wrote a letter to Microsoft telling them what I thought of a
> particular product (and them for having a 900 number) and six weeks
> later received a phone call from someone who, in essence, told me that
> all the problems were causes by (in order), my hardware, my other
> software, my incompetence. This person left a call back number and an
> email "name" to facilitate a return call. When I called back, I was
> informed that they were aware of no such person.

Gee, *I* haven't had these problems.  What makes Higdon so special?
But he often has problems communicating with phone companies and toll
carriers too...

> Microsoft is a company that could probably have all of its phones
> disconnected and not suffer a reduction in communication capabiltiy.

Hmmmmm ... I doubt it.  I have always had good support from them.
There is an advantage though to living within toll-free calling of
them (Seattle).  Also, if you want to follow up with a particular
support person, they will give you their network username.  You can
really blow their mind by getting on usenet and addressing your
followup communication to username@microsoft.uucp.  I have done this,
and it ALWAYS gets a quick phone call, especially from the NEW folks
over there.  It is a fast growing company, so the majority of support
folks are "new."

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544      Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad    or, tad@ssc.UUCP

john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/09/90)

hpubvwa!ssc!Tad.Cook@beaver.cs.washington.edu writes:

> Higdon has a HUMBLE OPINION??!?  No, but seriously, they recently
> instituted this for support of MS DOS ONLY ... all their applications
> support is free.

Oh, I see. The "product" that put them on the map (other than a BASIC)
is treated as a second-rate stepsister. The company has to protect
itself from all those unwashed masses who might actually have some
legitimate problem (oh, but how could they--DOS is perfect, right?)

> Gee, *I* haven't had these problems.  What makes Higdon so special?
> But he often has problems communicating with phone companies and toll
> carriers too...

Well "Gee", that's wonderful for you. Of course, I deal with
telecommunications and computer companies day in and day out without
much difficulty. It's my job. I don't write about the successes much
because it's pretty dull, but the failures are sometimes worth
mentioning. The reason Microsoft stands out as being a stinker is
because it ISN'T the norm. I have had great success dealing with
dozens of hardware and software vendors. NOT with Microsoft. And the
underlying problem seems to stem from how they handle
telecommunications.

> There is an advantage though to living within toll-free calling of
> them (Seattle).

Maybe if you had spent $15.00 on 900 charges getting nowhere rather
than making a free local call, you would have a different view.

> Also, if you want to follow up with a particular
> support person, they will give you their network username.

Roger. And when I called back to talk to this "particular person", the
person that answered told me that he couldn't locate any "username"
such as the one I gave. So I ended up relating the whole problem once
again to this person. Yes, I had the correct name.

> You can really blow their mind by getting on usenet and addressing your
> followup communication to username@microsoft.uucp.  I have done this,
> and it ALWAYS gets a quick phone call, especially from the NEW folks
> over there.  It is a fast growing company, so the majority of support
> folks are "new."

When I offered to communicate with the original person via e-mail,
there was much hemming and hawing and I was discouraged from doing
this.  At any rate, when I get home this weekend, I'll try to e-mail
the username that I was origially supplied. And then I'm going to look
for a different platform to handle my requirements.

John Higdon <john@mojave.ati.com> (hiding out in the desert)

gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon LETWIN) (11/14/90)

In article <14517@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

> hpubvwa!ssc!Tad.Cook@beaver.cs.washington.edu writes:

> > Higdon has a HUMBLE OPINION??!?  No, but seriously, they recently
> > instituted this for support of MS DOS ONLY ... all their applications
> > support is free.

> Oh, I see. The "product" that put them on the map (other than a BASIC)
> is treated as a second-rate stepsister. The company has to protect
> itself from all those unwashed masses who might actually have some
> legitimate problem (oh, but how could they--DOS is perfect, right?)

What a hostile person you are.  If you reasoned as well as you hate
you'd get somewhere.

DOS has been sold strictly as an OEM product.  That means it was
"wholesaled" to an OEM for them to sell with their product, the
computer.  Microsoft receives only a few dollars a copy for each
MS-DOS.  In a similar manner, car makers may license a Bosch ABS
system.  If you have a problem with that ABS, you don't call Bosch,
you call GM.  GM made the retail profit on the product and part of
their contract with Bosch is that GM supports it.  The same holds true
for MS-DOS.  Part of our contract with the OEM is that they support
the product they sell, not us.  We provide support to OUR customer -
the OEM.  They can call us any time.  We also provide them training
programs, I'm pretty sure.

One thing which confuses people is that the disks say Microsoft all
over them, whereas their ABS system just says "GM".  This makes it
harder for folks to understand that they bought it from the OEM, not
Microsoft.  There's two reasons for this.  One is Copyright.  The ABS
is protected by patents, but software is protected by Copyright.  One
requirement for copyright protection is a notice; our product *has* to
say Microsoft on it and in it to be protected.  Secondly, an operating
system is a standard product and the OEM needs to assure the customer
that they're getting the real standard, so the OEM wants to make sure
that the user knows it's Microsoft DOS.  In the early years this
wasn't always true; some OEMs forbade us to say that their BASIC was
Microsoft BASIC.

So we offer "free" support for our retail products because we received
the retail markup and support is one of the things you do to earn that
money.  We didn't receive the retail markup for DOS, the OEM did, and
the OEM is the person who needs to support it; that was their
agreement.  As a convenience to customers who don't want to call the
OEM or whose OEM's are not doing a good job, Microsoft now offers
support for DOS, but we have to charge for it now since we didn't get
any money for that service when we sold your OEM the DOS.

gordon letwin
not an official microsoft spokesperson

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/17/90)

gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon LETWIN) writes:

> What a hostile person you are.  If you reasoned as well as you hate
> you'd get somewhere.

[plus a lengthy explanation of why Microsoft isn't responsible for DOS]

My version of DOS 4.01 says nothing but Microsoft on the box, the
manuals and the disks. I purchased it at Fry's Electronics as generic
Microsoft DOS 4.01. It is NOT OEMed. So who is responsible? Who made
the big bucks?

Now, that out of the way, let me set the record straight on what
product my original question was about. It was Microsoft Windows 3.0.
Is that OEMed as well? I bought it at the same time as the DOS at
Fry's.

Your comments are certainly consistent with those I received from
others at Microsoft. The problem lies everywhere else. My hardware, my
other software, even me. Now you claim that others are getting rich
off of Microsoft products, so the company isn't even responsible for
collecting the profits!

How do you equate my observations of poor customer service with hate?
Is it hostility to expect that a manufacturer would make even a
reasonable attempt to support a product? Is demurement about a 900
number for "customer service" a symptom of latent aggression?

> So we offer "free" support for our retail products because we received
> the retail markup and support is one of the things you do to earn that
> money.  We didn't receive the retail markup for DOS, the OEM did, and
> the OEM is the person who needs to support it; that was their
> agreement.  As a convenience to customers who don't want to call the
> OEM or whose OEM's are not doing a good job, Microsoft now offers
> support for DOS, but we have to charge for it now since we didn't get
> any money for that service when we sold your OEM the DOS.

I'm sorry, but my observations indicate that this is totally bogus.
The only number listed for technical help with Windows 3.0 is a 900
number.  Could you supply me with the OEM for that product? I am
positive that whoever it is, they could supply far better assistance
than I have managed to get from Microsoft (for my $15.00 in 900
charges). Actually, even though the principle of "900" customer
assistance is offensive, my attitude would be somewhat different if I
could have received any value for my $15.00.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

0003747957@mcimail.com (Ed Belisle) (11/19/90)

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) write:

> The only number listed for technical help with Windows 3.0 is a 900
> number.  Could you supply me with the OEM for that product? I am

I always thought the 900 number was for DOS support only.  The number
for Microsoft Technical support is (and has been for quite some time)
206-454-2030.  They opened a new number that skips the first menu and
goes directly to Windows Support.  It is 206-637-7098.

> than I have managed to get from Microsoft (for my $15.00 in 900
> charges). Actually, even though the principle of "900" customer

You *paid* for Windows support?  Next time try directory assistance.

Ed Belisle

raj@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Rick Jones) (11/21/90)

Stepping away from Microsoft specifics...

I think that using a 900 number is something of an interesting idea
for providing support on a time and materials basis (ie no support
contract). However, it would seem most apropriate as a supplement for
a service contract type of support plan rather than the only method of
support. Apart from that, it seems like a good way to be able to
charge for support with minimal overhead. (ignoring the debate over
free support of PC software...)

The offensive part of it would be where you call and get connected
with Joe Q. Buffoon support person. In that case however, the offense
should be taken at Buffoon rather than the 900 number.

Richard Anders Jones   | MPE/XL Networking Engineer
Hewlett-Packard  Co.   | No 900 number yet...
Being an employee of a Standards Company, all Standard Disclaimers Apply