[comp.dcom.telecom] Slick-96

KEVIN.GRIFFIN@ehpcb.wlk.com (KEVIN GRIFFIN) (11/13/90)

Can anyone tell me what a "Slick 96" switch is and what kind of
services are available from it. One of my local (SWB) techs told me
that one is about to be installed in my local exchange, but he didn't
want to tell me anything about it.

Kevin Griffin

djo@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) (11/17/90)

In article <14710@accuvax.nwu.edu> KEVIN.GRIFFIN@ehpcb.wlk.com (KEVIN
GRIFFIN) writes:

>Can anyone tell me what a "Slick 96" switch is and what kind of
>services are available from it.

Actually, that's "SLC-96," for "Subscriber Loop Carrier."  It's a
digital carrier designed to carry [up to] 96 lines ("conversations")
or the equivalent to a distribution point farther from a Central
Office than the usual limit for local loops.  Basically you can do
anything with it that you can do with an aggregator of digital (or
digitized analog) lines.

The Roach

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/17/90)

GRIFFIN) writes:

> Can anyone tell me what a "Slick 96" switch is and what kind of
> services are available from it. One of my local (SWB) techs told me

It really is SLC 96. Subscriber Line (Carrier? or Concentrator?)

Think of a T1 channel bank like device designed to be stuck out on a
concrete pad in the boonies (-40C to +65C rating), or in the cellar of
an urban high-rise. Think of it as remoting a piece of the CO out on
the end of some digital facilities. It can handle single and multi
party, coin, VF special services, and up to 56kb data. Can use copper
T1s, or fiber at T2 (4xT1).

It operates in three modes.

Mode I uses four T1s to 96 subscriber ckts (full availability) with an
optional 5th T1 hot standby. The single + multi party plug-ins are two
ckts per card, thus filling the box.

Mode II Concentrated config. Uses two T1 (48 ckts) with an optional
third T1 hot spare to serve 96 subscribers with a fixed 2:1
concentration for single and multi-party lines. In this mode it can
also support up to 16 special service circuits that are NOT
concentrated, and their ckts are one per card.

Mode III Special services ONLY using two T1s with optional third T1
spare.  The 48 possible ckts, at one per card fill the system.

Perhaps you would care to order the doc + practice set: 700-546 SLC-96
Documentation and Practices - seems to be only $3.25 (may be typo) in
a distributor's catalog. The Schematics are: # 700-548.

kravitz@ucsd.edu (11/19/90)

In Volume 10, Issue 823, Message 4 of 12, Keven Griffith asks about
Slick 96.

SLC-96 means "Subscriber Loop Carrier-96" and it is a method of
digital multiplexing to accomplish "pair gain". The remote end of
SLC-96 is a box which is mounted in the field.  The box has an AC
operated power supply and gel-cel storage batteries.  For each 24
subscribers, it uses two pairs back to the central office.  Thus 96
subscribers are supported by 8 pairs.  Usually there are two spare CO
pairs brought in for good measure.  The pairs run at T1 rate (1.544
MB/Sec).  It is possible to run with 1/2 the number of CO pairs, but
then you can't give everyone service at once.  If the office is an
analog office, another box like the one in the field converts the
eight pairs back into 96 pairs. If the office end of the setup is a #5
ESS (any size), the digitally multiplexed lines connect directly to
the switching equipment.  Forgive the pun: it is very slick.

There was an entire Bell Labs Technical Journal dedicated to SLC-96 in
December of 1984.  It is Volume 63 Number 10, Part 2.  Any large
engineering library (university) should have it.

Jody

tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby Nixon) (11/20/90)

GRIFFIN) writes:

> Can anyone tell me what a "Slick 96" switch is and what kind of
> services are available from it. One of my local (SWB) techs told me
> that one is about to be installed in my local exchange, but he didn't
> want to tell me anything about it.

As was noted in a previous reply, a Subscriber Loop Carrier system is
not a switch.  It provides a digital connection (often fiber optic)
from the switch out to a neighborhood, for example, and then standard
analog two-wire connections from the SLC to your residence.

Unfortunately, some SLCs (slicks) are decidedly NOT "slick".  Modem
manufacturers get complaints about modems not working, and often find
that the problem is a SLC having been installed.  The cause usually is
that the SLC is using ADPCM (compression), which doesn't work well
with high-speed modems (particularly V.29 [Group 3 fax]).  SLCs also
are known to introduce analog impairments in the loop that can cause
problems for modems, even though they're not audible to voice callers.

Most SLCs don't cause problems, however, so there should be no cause
for immediate concern.  But in response to your question -- there's no
"services" from a SLC; as far as you're concerned, it's a passive
device.

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                   | UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      | Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net

juliet@mhuxo.att.com (Juliet Sutherland) (11/21/90)

Other responders have accurately described the SLC*-96 carrier system.
Here's some additional information that may be of interest to some.

The SLC-96 carrier system was the first commercially successful
example of a general type of product known as Digital Loop Carrier
(DLC) systems.  It was introduced in 1978.  I have little to add to
carry non-switched services as well as switched services and that it
does not support the bit compression that causes trouble for modems.

AT&T Network Systems introduced the SLC Series 5 carrier system in
1985.  It is a 96 line, 5 DS1 (including the protection line) system
that performs basically the same functions as the SLC-96 system but
serves twice as many lines in the same physical space.  It introduced
a dual channel unit for support of two-wire designed services and
provides much better testing and provisioning of non-switched special
services than the SLC-96 system.  The SLC Series 5 system also
supports fiber distribution (that is, fiber from the remote
electronics to at or near the customer's house or business).

Although SLC Series 5 systems provide DS1 feeder interfaces (that is,
DS1 from the CO to the remote electronics), an appropriately hardened
fiber multiplexer, such as the DDM-1000 or DDM-2000, is often
installed in the same cabinet or structure to provide fiber feeder.
The direct (T2?) fiber interface mentioned by a previous poster is no
longer sold.  The Low Bit Rate Voice (LBRV) configuration mentioned by
another poster as a problem for modems, while available on SLC Series
5 carrier systems, has not been widely deployed and should not be a
problem for the original poster.

AT&T Network Systems has recently announced its newest DLC product,
the SLC-2000 access system.  The SLC-2000 access system again doubles
the density, serving twice as many lines by volume as the SLC Series 5
system.  It provides an integrated SONET OC-3 feeder interface, serves
up to 768 customers per system on metallic distribution (more on
fiber), provides an integral test head to obviate the need for a DC
bypass pair for drop testing, will allow up to 8:1 concentration in
the remote electronics (but note that it does NOT do local switching)
and incorporates many other new features that are probably of less
interest to this group.

As a previous poster mentioned, the remote electronics (usually called
the Remote Terminal (RT)) can terminate on either a Central Office
Terminal (COT) or directly on a digital switch.  The SLC-96 interface
was documented by Bellcore in TR-TSY-000008 and TR-8 interfaces are
now available on a number of switches besides the 5ESS* switch.  For
those who are interested in such things, Bellcore has published a new
RT-switch interface specification, TR-TSY-000303, which provides
additional capabilities not supported by TR-8.  The most notable
differences are support for ISDN BRI (think about how one multiplexes
2B+D, it's not obvious), support for larger RTs (TR-8 allows only 96
line RTs), and the potential for improved operations and maintenance.
The SLC Series 5 system, the SLC-2000 access system, and the 5ESS
switch will all be providing TR-303 interfaces.  Finally, for the
diehards that have read this far, Bellcore also specifies functional
requirements for universal systems (that is, DLC systems that use a
COT rather than terminating directly on a switch, called universal
since that arrangement will work with any switch) in TR-TSY-000057.
TR-57 does not specify the interface between the RT and COT, which may
be proprietary, but does specify such things as transmission,
signaling, and environmental requirements.

I am a systems engineer for these products and will be glad to answer
additional questions.

*SLC and ESS are registered trademarks of AT&T Network Systems.

Juliet Sutherland   AT&T Bell Laboratories
Whippany, NJ        juliet@mhuxo.att.com

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (11/21/90)

Another problem with these "concentrators": most do not pass the CPC
signal upon disconnect.  According to a friend who works for US West,
the one specifically called "Slick-96" does deal with this, but the
others don't.  Apparently, it is quite a problem when they cut
existing lines over to one of the ones that doesn't handle CPC -- they
get all sorts of calls "My answering machine just runs and runs, and
doesn't detect when the caller hangs up like it used to."  US West's
attitude seems to be that it is not a "supported feature" of their
service.  If it works, great!  But if it stops one day, you'll just
have to do without.