[comp.dcom.telecom] Wireless Phonejak

gws@cblph.att.com (Gary W Sanders) (11/17/90)

In the latest Damark catalog I ran across an interesting telephone
gizmo:  Wireless phonejak by phonex.

"Expand the phone system through your home or office with the phonex
wireless phonejak. This easy to install phonejak system converts an AC
outlet into a phone jack allows you to place your (*) phone, on any
outlet in any room, indoors or out!"  (*) not my bad typing, just as
it appears in the ad.

You get two units that plug into the wall. It looks like a carrier
currnet phone extender. I wonder how well it works; has anyone used
one? Can you use more than one unit? How well does it work with BSR
devices?

DAMARK 1-800-827-6767

Gary Sanders (N8EMR) AT&T Bell Labs, Columbus Ohio
gws@cblph.att.com 		614-860-5965

irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) (11/20/90)

In <14772@accuvax.nwu.edu> gws@cblph.att.com (Gary W Sanders) writes:

>In the latest Damark catalog I ran across an interesting telephone
>gizmo:  Wireless phonejak by phonex.

I have ordered a few things from Damark and based on that experience
would caution you to stay away.  Everything -- CDs to skates to phone
to floor lamps -- that I got from them was of low quality.  Not bad
enough to make a busy guy like me send them back, but bad enough to
make me feel taken advantage of, and decide never to buy from them
again.  What looks like a bargain sometimes isn't.  In their case,
perhaps it always isn't.  Damark feels like sleazebag scum to me!

Irving Wolfe    Happy Man Corp.   irv@happym.wa.com    206/463-9399 ext.101
4410 SW Point Robinson Road,  Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399     fax ext.116

langz@eng.sun.com (Lang Zerner) (11/22/90)

In article <14859@accuvax.nwu.edu> irv@happym.wa.com writes:

>In <14772@accuvax.nwu.edu> gws@cblph.att.com (Gary W Sanders) writes:

>>In the latest Damark catalog I ran across an interesting telephone
>>gizmo:  Wireless phonejak by Phonex.

>I have ordered a few things from Damark and based on that experience
>would caution you to stay away.  Everything -- CDs to skates to phone
>to floor lamps -- that I got from them was of low quality.

In defense of Damark, the two pieces of furniture that I've ordered
from them were not of the *highest* quality, but they were
satisfactory.  After inadvertently ordering the wrong size futon
mattress, they had a straightforward return policy (I shipped it back,
they refunded; simple enough).  I later ordered a folding frame for
the futon which seems to be of decent quality.  The instructions for
assembling it were written by someone whose native language was not
English; they were unusable, but I was able to figure out the process.

In my experience, Damark is not a "sleazeball" store, but a typical
mail-order "bargain basement" store.  Their prices are reasonable, but
you don't get frills.

I know this message has only the most indirect connection to telecom,
but since an emphatically negative opinion was braodcast in the
Digest, I felt it only fair to provide some tempering evidence.  I
have no affiliation with Damark other than as a customer.

Be seeing you...

 ==Lang

langz@prodigal.sun.com 415/594-9268