[comp.dcom.telecom] Turning Off Call Waiting Remotely

mdb@abcom.att.com (5013) (10/19/90)

A while back I saw a thread that descibed how I could turn off call
waiting while I am using my modem.  What I would like to know, if the
person I am calling has call waiting also, can I turn his feature off
also?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

[Moderator's Note: No you cannot. It is up to the person who owns the
line to decide what features he wants on or off. If he doesn't
understand that modems and call-waiting are incompatible, that is his
problem.  PAT]

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (10/22/90)

In article <13848@accuvax.nwu.edu> mdb@abcom.att.com (5013) writes:

>A while back I saw a thread that descibed how I could turn off call
>waiting while I am using my modem.  What I would like to know, if the
>person I am calling has call waiting also, can I turn his feature off
>also?

You as the caller couldn't and shouldn't be able too.  But that gives
rise to the question: can you turn call waiting off on an existing
call?

I just tried it: I flashed and dialed *70 got the three beeps and was
cut through to the existing call.  So if you had some control over
what happened when you called the other number you could have them
initiate blocking.  Of course you would also have to solve the loss of
carrier problem.

vance

sjr@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Sander J. Rabinowitz) (10/22/90)

5013 <mdb@abcom.att.com> (Mike) wrote:

>What I would like to know, if the person I am calling has call waiting
>also, can I turn his feature off also?

The Moderator's Reply:

>No you cannot. It is up to the person who owns the line to decide what
>features he wants on or off.

An admittedly unlikely scenerio is one where the person you're talking
to has Call Waiting and Conference Calling simultaneously.  In that
case, you can ask the other party to tap the switchhook and dial *70
or 1170.  If the other party hears dial tone again, then he/she would
tap the switchhook once more to return to you.  This disables Call
Waiting in the middle of the conversation.  But, as the Moderator
states, only the person you're talking to can do this.

Sander J. Rabinowitz    | 0003829147@mcimail.com | +1 313 478 6358
Farmington Hills, Mich. | --OR-- sjr@mcimail.com |       8-)

[Moderator's Note: And really, isn't it sort of rude to ask the person
on the other end to suspend their telephone features just so you can
talk without possible interupption? If they wanted it that way, they
would do it that way.   PAT]

ruck@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John Ruckstuhl) (10/23/90)

> What I would like to know, if the person I am calling has call waiting
> also, can I turn his feature off also?

Some respondents discuss how a call-recipient can disable their
call-waiting.

I observe that this is valuable when one is using a call-back security
system for remote computer access via telephone.

John R Ruckstuhl, Jr   University of Florida
ruck@cis.ufl.edu,      uflorida!ruck

tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby Nixon) (10/24/90)

In article <13889@accuvax.nwu.edu>, vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance
Shipley) writes:

> You as the caller couldn't and shouldn't be able too.  But that gives
> rise to the question: can you turn call waiting off on an existing
> call?

> I just tried it: I flashed and dialed *70 got the three beeps and was
> cut through to the existing call.  So if you had some control over

It is a fairly well-known and well-documented feature that if you have
BOTH Three-Way Calling and Call-Waiting that you can disable Call
Waiting by doing a hook-flash, *70.

Several people (e.g., those who run a BBS part-time on their voice
line) have ask me over the years how they can selectively disable call
waiting on INCOMING calls.  It's pretty easy.  You need Three-Way
Calling, and take advantage of the feature mentioned above.  Rather
than having the modem auto-answer (S0 > 0), you need to have
computer-controlled answering (look for RING messages).  AND, rather
than answering with the "ATA" command, you answer with a dial string
that looks like this: "ATH1DT,!,*70,;A"; you might need another "!"
before the ";" to make it work on your switch.  The "H1" takes you
off-hook, so that the "D" command doesn't wait for dial tone or the
normal two-second delay.  It works faster if you set your "Pause Time
for Comma" to 1 second instead of 2.

Just a bit of interesting trivia.

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                   | UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      | Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (10/27/90)

In article <14002@accuvax.nwu.edu> hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby
Nixon) writes:

>It is a fairly well-known and well-documented feature that if you have
>BOTH Three-Way Calling and Call-Waiting that you can disable Call
>Waiting by doing a hook-flash, *70.

I do not have three-way calling.  The only option I have is call-waiting.
*70 works for me!

Vance

[Moderator's Note: Assuming *70 is implemented in your CO, it will
always work as the first digits dialed on a call you originate. The
trick is being able to decide to turn it on the middle of a
conversation, or during a conversation you did not originate. You
*cannot* turn it on in mid-conversation or on calls you receive unless
you have three way calling, or some other valid reason for flashing
the hook. (I don't know of any except to add another call). Instead of
adding the call, however, you can then dial *70 and be immediatly
returned to the call in progress, but with your call waiting suspended
for the duration.  PAT]

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (10/28/90)

In article <14082@accuvax.nwu.edu> the Moderator comments:

>[Moderator's Note: Assuming *70 is implemented in your CO, it will
>always work as the first digits dialed on a call you originate. The
>trick is being able to decide to turn it on the middle of a
>conversation, or during a conversation you did not originate. You
>*cannot* turn it on in mid-conversation or on calls you receive unless
>you have three way calling, or some other valid reason for flashing
>the hook. (I don't know of any except to add another call). Instead of
>adding the call, however, you can then dial *70 and be immediatly
>returned to the call in progress, but with your call waiting suspended
>for the duration.  PAT]

I recieve dialtone from a DMS in Bell Canada land.  (519)741-XXXX.  I
subscribe to call-waiting and nothing else.

I can flash and receive recall dial tone during any call.  If I flash
on an incoming call and dial *70 I am cut through to the existing
call.  Call waiting is disabled for the remaining duration of the
call.

Vance Shipley                   vances@ltg

[Moderator's Note: Well, yours is the only instance I've heard of
where one can flash and get dial tone without having three way calling
installed. I think its great that they extend dial tone after flashing
when the only apparent need (in your case) is to dial *70. I'm curious
to know what happens if you try anything else with the interim dial
tone you are given. Ever tried another call, for example?  What
happens then?  PAT]

gauthier@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul Gauthier) (10/28/90)

	Throughout this thread on disabling call-waiting on incoming
calls it has been stated that you need three-way calling to flash over
to another dialtone. On my main voice line I have call-waiting, but
not three-way calling. I am still able to flash over and hear the
triple dialtone sound followed by a consistant dialtone. From there I
can, I can type *70, get a quick set of beeps and then be reconnected
to my party. CW is then disabled (I just tried all this as I typed
it).

	I have a data line without call-waiting as well, and I much
prefer dialing out on it than my call-waiting equipped line. I find it
annoying when trying to terminate calls on the CW-equipped line. I
have a tendancy to lift the plunger too quickly causing the phone to
think I'm trying to flash. It takes a concious effort to sit there
with the plunger down for two or three seconds to be sure it's
registering as a hang-up before I can dial out again. I frequently end
calls with "ok, I'll call so-and-so and get back to you." and find it
annoying when trying to quickly dial out after completing another
call.

	All this information applies to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, BTW.

PG

gauthier@ug.cs.dal.ca
tyrant@dalac.bitnet

[Moderator's Note: What you say is all well and good, but *why* would
a telco extend new dial tone by flashing the hook when there is no
place to go with it? Surely not just for suspending call-waiting ...
or is it just for that reason? What happens when you attempt to dial
an actual number against that flashed-in dial tone rather than just
dialing *70?  Does your new call go through or get denied?   PAT]

russ@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Russ Kepler) (10/30/90)

On a similar vein of the call waiting I had an experience that might
interest some of the readers (the rest can skip it...)

One of my Usenet news feeds became stuck while its owner was out of
town.  No cause could be found until he got back in town and listened
to the call.

The modem was on his phone line and the dialer disabled call waiting
prior to the call.  When the local telco removed call waiting his mode
began getting an intercept and a 'your call cannot be...' message.

Strange - why couldn't they just ignore it?  Seems to me that would be
a better solution than the intercept (better yet to return to dial
tone.)

Russ Kepler -  Basis Int'l     SNAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109
UUCP: bbx.basis.com!russ                                    PHONE: 505-345-5232

gauthier@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul Gauthier) (10/30/90)

In article <14145@accuvax.nwu.edu> gauthier@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul
Gauthier) writes:

>[Moderator's Note: What you say is all well and good, but *why* would
>a telco extend new dial tone by flashing the hook when there is no
>place to go with it? Surely not just for suspending call-waiting ...
>or is it just for that reason? What happens when you attempt to dial
>an actual number against that flashed-in dial tone rather than just
>dialing *70?  Does your new call go through or get denied?   PAT]

	When you attempt to dial you get a rapid busy signal type
tone.  Thus, the call is denied. Something else that's interesting is
that if I pick up the phone right now and receive a *real* dialtone I
can do a flash and obtain a secondary dialtone exactly like the one
described before.  This secondary dialtone is discernable from a
regular dialtone because when it begins you hear a 'triple dialtone'
kind of like someone flicking the sound on and off three times
quickly; then comes a normal sounding dialtone.

Trying to dial on this secondary dialtone, even if it is obtained
straight from a normal dialtone via flash, gets you the same rapid
busy signal. Also of interest is the fact that once you commence
dialing a number on your normal dialtone until you are connected
(actually have someone answer the other end) a flash terminates that
call, and does not simply offer you a secondary dialtone. No matter
how you obtain one of those secondary dialtones (whether from a
regular dialtone or in mid-call) another flash will return you to
where you came from (the regular dialtone or the other call). "*70",
as mentioned before disables call waiting in mid call and puts you
back through to your party.

	Hope someone finds this trivia interesting. I assume that as
well as performing call-waiting disabling from this secondary dialtone
you can initiate a 3-way call, or work with any of the other special
features offered (like call-forwarding) if you've paid for them (I
haven't, so I don't know much about them).

gauthier@ug.cs.dal.ca
tyrant@dalac

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/31/90)

On Oct 29 at 23:21, TELECOM Moderator writes:

> [Moderator's Note: What you say is all well and good, but *why* would
> a telco extend new dial tone by flashing the hook when there is no
> place to go with it? Surely not just for suspending call-waiting ...
> or is it just for that reason? What happens when you attempt to dial
> an actual number against that flashed-in dial tone rather than just
> dialing *70?  Does your new call go through or get denied?   PAT]

If it had been Pac*Bell, it could have been something like this:

(From the Pac*Bell Slameroo Dept.)

A friend of mine who writes for a crackpot audio magazine moved a few
years back from Sunnyvale to Mountain View. We were talking and he got
call-waited. When he returned, he commented, "This is so confusing.
Call Waiting works differently here in Mt. View than it did in
Sunnyvale. It's much more complicated."

Bzzzt! What??? I inquired further. "In Sunnyvale, when I got a
call-wait, I simply flashed the hook and got the second call. Now, I
have to flash, get dial tone, then dial '*9'."

"What other features do you have?", I asked. "None."

So then I told him the bad news. He had been "upsold" into Commstar
(mini-Centrex). He didn't even realize that he had three-way calling,
which is intregal to Commstar. I told him that he was paying about 8
dollars too much and told him what to say to the rep.

If you flash during the call with Commstar (without being call-waited)
you will get second dial tone which can call the world.

BTW, the "Commstar Slam" was accomplished by implying to the customer
"that's the way it works now". The customer was led to believe that
Commstar was prerequisite to custom calling.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (10/31/90)

In article <14094@accuvax.nwu.edu> the Moderator comments:

>[Moderator's Note: Well, yours is the only instance I've heard of
>where one can flash and get dial tone without having three way calling
>installed. I think its great that they extend dial tone after flashing
>when the only apparent need (in your case) is to dial *70. I'm curious
>to know what happens if you try anything else with the interim dial
>tone you are given. Ever tried another call, for example?  What
>happens then?  PAT]

It seems that they did provide recall dialtone only to block
call-waiting.  If I try to transfer I receive re-order tone, if I try
to use any of the other DMS codes I receive re-order.  If I flash an
existing call and hang up it does not ring me back. (#$!?) :)

vance

csowden@compulink.co.uk (Chris Sowden) (11/02/90)

In the UK it is possible to recall dial tone on any line connected to
a digital exchange (which I think the majority now are).  The
secondary dial tone you get is identical to the primary dial tone.  In
the following, "R" means Recall or flash.

If you only pay for a basic service, I think you can only request
charge advice for the call in progress (R*40#).

If you pay for call waiting, you can turn call waiting on (R*43#) or
off (R#43#), drop the current call and answer a waiting call (R1),
switch between calls (R2) or reject a waiting call and turn call
waiting off (R0).

If you pay for three way calling, you can additionally set up a second
call (R number), set up a conference with two existing calls (R3),
disconnect the first party (R5) or disconnect the second party (R7).

To use the extra facilities, you need a tone phone.  If you recall
dial tone on a pulse phone and try dialling a number, you get dumped
straight back to the call you left.

Being able to recall dial tone does mean you get one useful feature
which works regardless of the type of phone, extras paid for or which
end originated the call.  If you recall dial tone and then put the
phone on hook, the exchange rings straight back (with single bursts of
ringing rather than the usual UK double bursts).  You can then move to
another extension to continue the call.

Chris Sowden

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (11/03/90)

In article <14239@accuvax.nwu.edu> csowden@compulink.co.uk (Chris
Sowden) writes:

>Being able to recall dial tone does mean you get one useful feature
>which works regardless of the type of phone, extras paid for or which
>end originated the call.  If you recall dial tone and then put the
>phone on hook, the exchange rings straight back (with single bursts of
>ringing rather than the usual UK double bursts).  You can then move to
>another extension to continue the call.

This is what I wish we could do.  Unfortunately if I try this the
original call is dropped, my phone never rings back.  If I have
accepted a call waiting and then hang up the original call rings back
though.

Vance Shipley

[Moderator's Note: And the way yours works seems to be the norm, which
is why I was surprised by the folks who said they can flash and get
dial tone even with they have nothing to use it for except to suspend
call waiting.  PAT]

bote@uunet.uu.net (John Boteler) (11/22/90)

I have found that a great way to disable Call Waiting remotely is to
call the business office and cancel it!

That's the *best* anybody could ever do to that most obnoxious of
features!

John Boteler   bote@csense                {uunet | ka3ovk}!media!csense!bote
SkinnyDipper's Hotline: 703 241 BARE | VOICE only, Touch-Tone(TM) signalling