[comp.dcom.telecom] Measured Local Service

sjr@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Sander J. Rabinowitz) (11/14/90)

I wonder how any TELECOM Digest readers might react to the following:

For the last five months, my Dad's telephone bill included a statement
urging him to switched to a measured local service (i.e. first 50
calls are free with the remaining calls being charged). Presently, for
a fixed monthly fee, unlimited local calls are allowed. The statement
also reads something like this (these are not Michigan Bell's exact
words):

"As a free service to you, we have kept track of the number of local
calls you've made this month so you can see if you save money with our
measured service.  This month, you made -0- local calls--therefore,
you would have saved $3.44 this month had you used our other plan."

Now I KNOW for each of the last five months, more than 50 local calls
per month were made on that line.  (I made many of them myself.  =)
Meanwhile, my own telephone bill doesn't have that message, even
though my line also has the unlimited calling feature.

Is this something for the local public service commission to look at?
It seems like a harmless computer glitch, but I can't shake the
feeling that something fishy is going on here.

Sander J. Rabinowitz    |   !sander@attmail.com   | +1 313 478 6358
Farmington Hills, Mich. | -OR-  sjr@mcimail.com   |       8-)

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/17/90)

"Sander J. Rabinowitz" <sjr@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us> writes:

> "As a free service to you, we have kept track of the number of local
> calls you've made this month so you can see if you save money with our
> measured service.  This month, you made -0- local calls--therefore,
> you would have saved $3.44 this month had you used our other plan."

This is very scary and you should be concerned. Most telcos have
discovered that PUCs and equivalents are most reluctant to allow the
summary discontinuance of unmeasured residence service, so they use a
more sophisticated approach these days.

Step one involves switching as many people over to measured as
possible. Reps are primed to push measured service as a way of saving
money. To this end, in areas that offer both measured and unmeasured
residence service, the pricing is set up to make measured as
attractive to as many as possible. One approach is to use a generous
allowance for measured service. Another is to price unmeasured in the
stratosphere.

Then, when a majority of customers have measured service, the telco
goes to the PUC and argues that unmeasured service is no longer in
real demand and that it would have minor reactions to its
discontinuance. At some point, the PUC gives in and unmeasured service
goes away. The first subsequent action by telco is to remove the
allowance. This is easy, since it is not technically a rate increase.
Then the monthly rate for measured becomes as high as the former
unmeasured rate and telco has what it wants: every bit of facility
usage paid for.

> Now I KNOW for each of the last five months, more than 50 local calls
> per month were made on that line.  (I made many of them myself.  =)
> Meanwhile, my own telephone bill doesn't have that message, even
> though my line also has the unlimited calling feature.

Events have led me to believe that telcos (at least Pac*Bell) do not
have a foolproof way of monitoring local traffic on individual lines.
On more than one occasion, I have had measured lines that are NEVER
used for local outgoing and have large Zone 1 usage ticketed. Calls to
the business office result in the rep freely removing the calls ("what
do you think the usage was, Mr. Higdon?"). This does not cause me to
have a great deal of confidence in local metering.

> Is this something for the local public service commission to look at?
> It seems like a harmless computer glitch, but I can't shake the
> feeling that something fishy is going on here.

You betcha. You may be headed down the slippery slope of measured-only
service. Watch out!

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Tad.Cook@beaver.cs.washington.edu (11/23/90)

In article <68911@bu.edu.bu.edu>, john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

> "Sander J. Rabinowitz" <sjr@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us> writes:

> > "As a free service to you, we have kept track of the number of local
> > calls you've made this month so you can see if you save money with our
> > measured service.  This month, you made -0- local calls--therefore,
> > you would have saved $3.44 this month had you used our other plan."

> This is very scary and you should be concerned. Most telcos have
> discovered that PUCs and equivalents are most reluctant to allow the
> summary discontinuance of unmeasured residence service, so they use a
> more sophisticated approach these days.

> > Is this something for the local public service commission to look at?
> > It seems like a harmless computer glitch, but I can't shake the
> > feeling that something fishy is going on here.

> You betcha. You may be headed down the slippery slope of measured-only
> service. Watch out!

John Higdon said that the telco could get enough folks to switch their
residential service to declare that the unlimited calling option was
no longer in the public interest.

I think it could happen a little differently.  In most places where
there is a measured service option, it is priced so that most
residential customers would pay less by switching over to measured
service without ever changing their calling patterns.

So if the telco starts pushing measured service to these low usage
customers and a bunch of them switched, suddenly they are getting less
revenue for the same service, which gives them the right to go to the
PUC and ask for a rate increase for the unlimited calling customers.

Once this happens, there could be a snowball effect, where the telco
gets more and more customers to switch, based upon higher and higher
rates for unlimited calling.  This further erodes the rate base,
causing a situation where eventually nearly everyone except truly high
usage residential customers are on measured service.  So the telco
gets a de-facto mandatory measured service, without any change in the
tariff.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544      Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad  or, tad@ssc.UUCP