[comp.dcom.telecom] Forwarded Call Information

JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet (11/22/90)

   In my latest PacBell bill there were two little flyers. One
described a service called Forwarded Call Information (FCI) which was
described as a facility that provided the telephone number called and
'other calling information' to telephone messaging systems, such as
voice mail services.  It acknowledged that in some cases this could
include the caller's phone number, which could be recorded/displayed
with special equipment. Does anyone know anything more about this? How
is it related to ANI? The flyer specifically states it is *not*
related to Caller ID.

Jeff Sicherman

lairdb@crash.cts.com (Laird P. Broadfield) (11/24/90)

In <14914@accuvax.nwu.edu> JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet (Jeff Sicherman)
writes:

>   In my latest PacBell bill there were two little flyers. One
>described a service called Forwarded Call Information (FCI) which was
>described as a facility that provided the telephone number called and
>'other calling information' to telephone messaging systems, such as
>voice mail services.  It acknowledged that in some cases this could
>include the caller's phone number, which could be recorded/displayed
>with special equipment.

Hrrrmmm.  Here we have a service called "SMDI" (Simplified Message
Desk Interface) to connect our voicemail system to our Centrex
service.  We receive over the SMDI (serial data through line-drivers)
"forwarded-from" data whenever a call is forwarded on a ring-no-answer
or busy-no-answer, and call-from data when an *internal* line dials
the voice-mail's pilot number.  We do not get information about the
originator of the call, though I wish we did.  (I can just imagine it;
at the end of the message, the voice-mail voice comes on and says
"This rude message was left by an outside caller, calling from fower
oh wun fyve fyve fyve wun tew wun tew.")

When I spoke with a PacBell technoid last week, I asked if I could
forward my home line (I live in the same CO as work) to the voice-mail
system, and have the forwarded-from info go to the box.  He replied
that it would not, since my home number was not "marked" as part of
the Centrex group, and that they could not perform that marking due to
tarriffs.  However, I could put another line into my residence, which
_would_ be a Centrex line, forward my #1 residential line to that,
forward that to the voice-mail, etc.

(Note: I am in So-Cal (619) and didn't get that note in my residential
bill (yesterday).  I wonder if it comes next month, or only to
business, or ... )

Laird P. Broadfiel
UUCP: {akgua, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!lairdb
INET: lairdb@crash.cts.com