[comp.dcom.telecom] America On-Line Beta Test: Your Help Wanted!

GREEN@wilma.wharton.upenn.edu (Scott D. Green) (11/19/90)

Apropos to our recent discussion of Prodigy, I just received an offer
from Quantum Computer Services in Vienna, VA to beta test their new
on-line service, America Online, which "will allow pc owners to
participate in interactive computer forums, download thousands of
public domain and shareware programs, check stock prices and the
latest news, play interactive, multi-player games, and more."

They want folks to test their current beta software which is a graphic
windowing interface for DOS machines.  They will provide the software
and *unlimited free online access time* to test the service.

It's signed "Cynthia Hibbs, Asst. Marketing Manager," with a
post-script to "feel free to share this invitation with your friends!"

So, friends, give them a call at 703-448-8700.  They'll send you an
equipment survey to make sure your hardware meets their minimum
requirements.

scott

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (11/20/90)

In <14815@accuvax.nwu.edu>, GREEN@wilma.wharton.upenn.edu writes:

>So, friends, give them a call at 703-448-8700.  They'll send you an
>equipment survey to make sure your hardware meets their minimum
>requirements.

I've put the three pages of survey up on my site for people to FTP it
if they wish. The name is ftp.cs.widener.edu, but that presently won't
resolve (our nameserver has to be updated), so for now use the number
192.55.239.132. They're in the directory ~ftp/pub/online as
'survey.shar', as well as page1, page2, and page3, for those not
Unix-oriented. (Credit goes to Online Bear on the Portal[tm] system
for putting these together. I just snarfed them.)

    Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
                      Widener University in Chester PA

[Moderator's Note: I tried to ftp the stuff from you, and was advised
that ftp is only open at your site in the evenings. I mention this so
folks will know the best time to call.   PAT]

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (11/24/90)

Ummm ... America Online is NOT a new service.  I've been a member for
almost two years.  It used to be called AppleLink until about one year
ago.  Then called America Online (Or AOL for short or AO for shorter).
It was changed to that name because MAC's started coming on to the
service too.  Now we must accept the on-slaught of IBM's. You wanna
see some protesting, look in some of the essage bases on AOL.  Not
very many people want IBM invading AOL.  But it does look like PCLink
will be discontinued and combined in with AOL.

I don't know.  Just my $.02 worth. :)

[ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo 218/262-3142  300/1200/2400/9600 (HST/Dual)]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com  ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil