[comp.dcom.telecom] International Dialing

roy@phri (Roy Smith) (07/27/88)

> All you americans know without doubt about the 903 and 905 area codes
> that dial into Mexico.

	Interestingly enough, these area codes only cover part of Mexico.  I
can call Mexico City using area code 905, but to call Cuernavaca (about 100
km south of Mexico City) I have to dial 011-73-.... i.e. international
prefix, country code, etc).  Note that Mexico is one of those (many) places
where phone numbers are not uniform in length throughout the contry; Mexico
City has US-style 7 digit phone numbers (although they usually punctuate it
xxx-yy-zz instead of xxx-yyyy).  Cuernavaca numbers are only 6 digits.  I
wonder if that has anything to do with it?

	Another tidbit.  I was in Wales (UK) this summer and needed to call
Dublin, Ireland from a public pay phone.  I asked the operator how to place
the call and she said I should dial "trebble aught one" (0001).  What she
didn't tell me was that I should follow that with the local Dublin phone
number; I thought she was telling me how to dial a generic international
call, with 0001 to be followed by the Ireland country code.

/roy

JDurand@cup.portal.com (11/26/90)

In article <14934@accuvax.nwu.edu> the Moderator writes:

>[Moderator's Note: I just now tried it from Chicago, USA. It accepted
>the entire number (that is, 011-44-81-603-four more), and the response
>to me on each of several attempts was the same recorded announcement:
>You call cannot be completed by the telephone company in the country
>you are calling at this time. Please try your call again later."

When I tried the above number from my cellular phone (GTE, with
"restored" international dialing), I got a recording telling me the
country area code was bad and to contact my AT&T operator for
assistance (AT&T, not Sprint??).

 From my business MCI line, I got a recording in an English accent
telling me the proper way to dial London.

Jerry Durand    Durand Interstellar, Inc.
408 356-3886    jdurand@cup.portal.com