[comp.dcom.telecom] Turkey City Codes

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (11/05/90)

Having received "90 5" for Turkish Cyprus in message to telecom digest
from Clive Feather <clive@x.co.uk>, I now have this for Turkey's city
codes.  Notice 51 for Izmir (also called Smyrna?), which isn't all
that close to Cyprus.

90  Turkey

	1 or 11  Istanbul
	41  Ankara
	5   Turkish Cyprus
	51  Izmir or Ismir
	711 Adana

clive@x.co.uk (Clive Feather) (11/07/90)

Several people have stated that 90 is the country code for Turkey, and
5 is simply the area code for Turkish Cyprus. This is not the case.
The BT booklet I built the list from gave two country codes for
Cyprus: 357 and 905. In each case, there was a list of area codes.

Clearly, 905 is a subset of 90, but the phone user will find the
information under "Cyprus", not under "Turkey". In other words, we're
all in agreement.

BTW, can anyone confirm the St. Helena code 290, or supply any of the
codes I'm missing ?

    Antarctica Australian Territory
    Chatham Islands
    Midway Island
    Pitcairn Islands
    Tristan da Cunha
    Wake Island

Clive D.W. Feather     | IXI Limited
clive@x.co.uk          | 62-74 Burleigh St.
Phone: +44 223 462 131 | Cambridge   CB1 1OJ
(USA: 1 800 XDESK 57)  | United Kingdom

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (11/10/90)

In article <14460@accuvax.nwu.edu>, clive@x.co.uk (Clive Feather)
writes:

>Clearly, 905 is a subset of 90, but the phone user will find the
>information under "Cyprus", not under "Turkey". In other words, we're
>all in agreement.

My phone book lists just plain Cyprus as 357 (that's the Greek half,
although the book doesn't say so).  It doesn't list the Turkish half
at all, either under Cyprus or Turkey.  Presumably this will change in
next year's book as our government tries to cozy up to Turkey in view
of the serious situation in the Arabian Gulf (formerly the Persian
Gulf).

By the way, if you want to give me a call to discuss this, the country
code for the People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan is 1313.

[Moderator's Smirk:  I'll let that last paragraph go through this
time; but watch how you talk about our friends at umich.edu!  :)  PAT]

fuat@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) (11/28/90)

In article <14401@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>90  Turkey

>	1 or 11  Istanbul

I think just 1.

>	41  Ankara

Ankara is now 4.

They went from six (2+4) to seven digits (3+4) local phone numbers a
couple of years ago at which time Ankara went from 41 to 4.

Fuat

Internet: fuat@columbia.edu          U.S. MAIL: Columbia University
  BITNET: fuat@cunixf                           Center for Computing Activities
    UUCP: ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixf!fuat      712 Watson Labs, 612 W115th St.
   Phone: (212) 854-5128  Fax: (212) 662-6442   New York, NY 10025