[comp.dcom.telecom] Polish Payphones Revisited

KLUB@maristb.bitnet (Richard Budd) (11/28/90)

Wolf Paul <iiasa!cossun!wnp@relay.eu.net> writes:

> A Polish colleague of mine informs me that payphones were recently
> converted to use a special phone token, which presumably is available
> at the official rate at various outlets.

While visiting Krakow in September I discovered pay phones use two
different types of tokens, one for local and the other for long
distance The local token at the Hotel Cracovia was 500 Zloty (at the
equivalent of a nickel, still a bargain).  I do not know the price of
long-distance tokens.  For the telephones at the Hotel Cracovia, you
purchased tokens at the front desk.  Through a switching device in the
telephone, you could not dial local with a long-distance token and
vice versa.  We tried and received no connection.  No explanation,
just dead air.

This experience came courtesy of another traveller who had been
telephoning the Soviet Consulate in Krakow.  He was trying to obtain
an entry visa to bicycle through the Baltic States, for which he had
spent already a week in town (his adventures with the consulate's
telecom system would be an article in itself).  Telephone calls in
Poland are an exercise in patience.  He tried telephoning from the
student hotel where we were staying and received wrong numbers on his
first two tries even though he swore he dialed the correct numbers in
both cases.  The desk clerk explained to us that the telphone system
is so bad that it is not unusual to reach the wrong person on a first
try.  The clerk tried dialing the consulate yet a third time and
instead rung up a doctor's office.

Don't even attempt trying to call North America unless you're patient.
A teacher from London finally got a connection to the U.K. after four
days of trying.

While staying in Wroclaw (Breslau), there was a news item on TV that
the city had installed the nation's first public telephones
activitated through credit cards.  I couldn't understand the fine
details because it was in Polish.  From what my host explained to me,
the credit cards are issued by the telephone company and you insert
them into a slot in the telephone and then dial the number.  No word
yet how successful people have been with their calls.

Richard Budd     Marist College    Pughkeepsie, NY   KLUB@MARISTB.BITNET

wnp@relay.eu.net (Wolf PAUL) (11/29/90)

In article <14999@accuvax.nwu.edu> KLUB@maristb.bitnet (Richard Budd)
writes:

>While staying in Wroclaw (Breslau), Poland, there was a news item on TV that
>the city had installed the nation's first public telephones
>activitated through credit cards.  I couldn't understand the fine
>details because it was in Polish.  From what my host explained to me,
>the credit cards are issued by the telephone company and you insert
>them into a slot in the telephone and then dial the number.  No word
>yet how successful people have been with their calls.

Actually these probably don't accept credit cards, but pre-paid phone
cards such as are used in several West European countries as well.
Austria, Belgium (I think) and the UK use phone cards where the
information is stored magnetically; Germany uses phone cards with a
tiny chip on them.

Their main attraction is in countries with a low density of private
phones, where most people use public phones most of the time. Credit
cards would be impractical since there would not be a home phone
account to charge them to. I also doubt that credit cards would find
much public acceptance in the recently-liberated societies of Eastern
Europe.

You buy them in stores (different depending on country) and they come
in denominations such as 100 units, or 200 units (Austria), or UKL 5
or 10 (UK), etc.

The cards even from the same system, such as UK and Austria, are not
compatible: it seems they do contain some coding difference, or else
have a PTT identifier code readable by the equipment. Thus, a UK card
will not work in Austria and vice versa. Of course the German
Microchip cards don't work anywhere else either, nor would one expect
them to.

W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net
FAX:   +43-2236-71313                UUCP:     uunet!iiasa!wnp
HOME:  +43-2236-618514               BITNET:   tuvie!iiasa!wnp@awiuni01.BITNET