[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering Machine Beeps But Does Not Take Message

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (11/22/90)

Speaking of consumer-complaint lines:

A TV station in Philadelphia has a number which I called a while back
to get a recording.  The recording told me to mail my complaint in,
and also that the phone does not take messages!  There was a beep at
the end of the recording.  I see that the item about phone not taking
messages was put in to prevent (or as a result of?) people thinking
that it did indeed take messages and getting into arguments about it.

What is the meaning of the aforementioned beep?

john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/24/90)

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> writes:

> What is the meaning of the aforementioned beep?
> [on a machine that announces that it does not record messages from
> callers]

This beep is your signal that the TV station in question is too cheap
or lazy to obtain an answering device that has an "announce-only"
function. The "standard" mechanical outgoing-only high-volume
telephone announcer used to be the Code-a-Phone 111. It had a built-in
6 minute tape that would immediately rewind when the caller hung up,
even in the middle of the announcement. But this turkey cost $1,000,
so it was never really popular. It also had about a 100,000-call MTBF.

Another favorite trick (among broadcasters) is to buy one of the
various "telephone controllers" for about 100 bucks to operate an
almost-junked cart machine. This setup transforms old garbage into a
pretty good-sounding high-volume answer-only system. One station I
knew went so far as to have a homemade controller start the cart
machine and then on cue from the cart machine start an Ampex 351 to
record the caller's message. Bought new, this would be a $10,000
answering machine.  But you couldn't beat the quality!

There are, of course, many answering machines on the market that can
do announce-only. Most of them, however, would fall apart rapidly in
high-volume service. And they may not be available as broadcast
advertising trade-out.

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (hiding out in the desert)

nam2254%dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil@dsac.dla.mil (Tom Ohmer) (11/30/90)

 From article <14931@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by john@mojave.ati.com (John
Higdon):

< Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> writes:

<> What is the meaning of the aforementioned beep?
<> [on a machine that announces that it does not record messages from
<> callers]

< This beep is your signal that the TV station in question is too cheap
< or lazy to obtain an answering device that has an "announce-only"
< function. []

Mine (Tandy/Radio Shack) has an "announce" function, and behaves
precisely as Carl described.  When the OGM tape head senses the foil
at the end/beginning of the loop, the beep sounds and the OGM stops,
regardless of "answer" or "announce" mode.

The *meaning* of the beep, to me, would be that the announcement was
completed.

Tom Ohmer @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
            DSAC-AMB, Bldg. 27-6, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH  43216-5002
UUCP: ...osu-cis!dsac!tohmer   INTERNET: tohmer@dsac.dla.mil
Phone: (614) 238-8059   AutoVoN: 850-8059   #include <stdsclmr.h>