[comp.dcom.telecom] Odd Response When Line is Busy

JTUCKER@vax2.cstp.umkc.edu (12/01/90)

Question: Once in a while when I call a number that is busy several
times in a row I get another dial tone.  Sometimes someone else picks
up the line and tells me to get off.

Can someone tell me what is happening here???

Joseph Tucker
JTUCKER@UMKCVAX2

[Moderator's Note: Is your service coming from some old, ancient
stepper switch or similar? When I was on one of those many years ago
it was not unheard of to get conditions like you mention sometimes.  PAT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/03/90)

JTUCKER@vax2.cstp.umkc.edu writes:

> Question: Once in a while when I call a number that is busy several
> times in a row I get another dial tone.  Sometimes someone else picks
> up the line and tells me to get off.

> [Moderator's Note: Is your service coming from some old, ancient
> stepper switch or similar?

Crossbar is particularly vulnerable to this type of problem. It is
known as "double connection" and is briefly mentioned in the service
manuals and in some Bellcore publications. If you compare a crossbar
system to mechanical computer, it is easy to see how this can happen.
The "CPU" is the marker, whose job it is to allocate resources and
connect them at the proper time. Being a mechanical device (a bunch of
relays) and working with registers, trunk units, etc. that are also
mechanical, it can become confused regarding the availability of a
particular line or trunk unit and seize two at once. Dialing a number
can simultaneously produce a busy signal and dial tone, or more
likely, a busy and RBT which may eventually be answered and may or may
not be the party you were calling, etc., etc.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !