[comp.dcom.telecom] Lower Hotel Charges

news@accuvax.nwu.edu (USENET News System) (11/19/90)

I recently read a tip on saving multiple charges on outgoing AT&T
credit card calls from hotel rooms.  I haven't verified the info, but
here it is:

When you complete the first call and the other party has hung up,
press the # key on the push button telephone to place your next call.
This eliminate the hotel charge you would receive if you hung up and
began dialing a second credit card call.  Your card number is stored.
You will be prompted with, "You may dial another AT&T-handled call."
You are only charged for one access by the hotel.

Patricia O'connor - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Patricia.O'connor
INTERNET: Patricia.O'connor@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG

roberson@uunet.uu.net (CharlesChip Roberson) (12/01/90)

In article <14880@accuvax.nwu.edu> news@accuvax.nwu.edu (USENET News
System) writes:

>I recently read a tip on saving multiple charges on outgoing AT&T
>credit card calls from hotel rooms.

>press the # key on the push button telephone to place your next call.

Does MCI or US Sprint offer anything like this?

chip

* Work:  2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609  (919) 850-5011
* (...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson) || (roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org) ||
* (71500.2056@CompuServe.com) || (Chip.Roberson@f112.n151.z1.fidonet.org)
#include <disclaimer.h>

[Moderator's Note: The back of my Spint FON card says 'press # for one
full second to make another call ...'  PAT]

nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov (Bill B40417 2-7390) (12/03/90)

Regarding pressing '#' to get a second dial tone from an IXC:

If you accidently dial into a modem line, and the modem answers, the
octothorpe detector may be disabled along with the echo cancellers.  I
observed this behavior on AT&T between Montana and Chicago.

Two frequently dialed numbers differ only in the transposition of the
final two digits.  One is the office of a colleague, and the other is
a modem pool.  I accidently dialed the modem, and was unable to avoid
hanging up and re-entering the AT&T Universal Card number while the
modem tones were active.

nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/04/90)

Bill   B40417 2-7390 <nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov> writes:

> Two frequently dialed numbers differ only in the transposition of the
> final two digits.  One is the office of a colleague, and the other is
> a modem pool.  I accidently dialed the modem, and was unable to avoid
> hanging up and re-entering the AT&T Universal Card number while the
> modem tones were active.

As far as AT&T is concerned:

The real reason for this is that the '#' "recall" function is diaabled
during supervision. It wouldn't matter if it was a modem on the other
end or your Aunt Sophie -- as long as the call is supervised (distant
end off hook), you cannot use the '#' to make another call. To make
another call, you MUST wait for the called party to hang up or use the
'#' before they answer.

This has been an inconvenience at times, since I occasionally use a
DISA. If I call into the DISA and make a mistake, the only way to
recover is to physically hang up and dial again; since the DISA will
not disconnect until the caller hangs up, the '#' is useless.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !