[comp.dcom.telecom] Pizza Pizza Toll-Free Cellular Number

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (11/26/90)

The best-known telephone number in Toronto is 967-1111.  It belongs to
Pizza Pizza, a chain of pizza outlets with a single telephone number.
The company says your pizza is free if they don't deliver it within 30
minutes.  (The pizza itself is adequate but unexciting, but this is
not rec.cooking.gourmet.pizza.)  Pizza Pizza has dozens of outlets,
and perhaps a hundred or more incoming phone lines.

Its latest gimmick is fairly cute: a toll-free cellular number, #1111,
which reminds people of the 967-1111 number.

I'm familiar with toll-free cellular numbers sponsored by radio
stations to encourage people to phone in reports about traffic
problems (CFNY-FM, 102.1 MHz, can be reached at *102 from Cantel
phones) and ones sponsored by police departments (I think someone said
that *NC will get you the North Carolina Highway Patrol).  And there
are those to reach customer service for the cellular company.

This is the first toll-free cellular number I've seen that doesn't
fall into any of the above categories.

Nigel Allen   ndallen@contact.uucp
52 Manchester Avenue      tel. (416) 535-8916 (voice)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6G 1V3    fax (416) 978-7552

roberson@uunet.uu.net (CharlesChip Roberson) (12/04/90)

In article <15006@accuvax.nwu.edu> ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen)
writes:

> (I think someone said that *NC will get you the North Carolina
> Highway Patrol).

It might be *HP.  It at least belongs to one of the following: NC, VA,
MD, WV, or PA.

Cheers,

chip

* Work:  2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609  (919) 850-5011
* (...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson) || (roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org) ||
* (71500.2056@CompuServe.com) || (Chip.Roberson@f112.n151.z1.fidonet.org)
#include <disclaimer.h>