[comp.dcom.telecom] US Sprint Offers Conference Calling

0004056081@mcimail.com (George S Thurman) (11/24/90)

Those super-innovative folks at US SPRINT have done it again !!  They
now offer the ability to make conference calls on thier Network.  The
service is available at no extra charge until February 16, 1991, when
there will be a 75 cent surcharge if you use this feature with your
FONCARD(sm).

The new service will be known as QUICKCONFERENCE(sm), and instructions
are as follows:

After you establish a connection with your first party, depress the
"*" followed by 12. This brings an additional Sprint dial tone.  Dial
the number of the next party. (Do NOT dial "0").  Depress "*" again
followed this time by 13.  You are now connected! To drop the
additional party, or if the additional party's number is busy, dial
"*" followed by 14.

Important note:

When entering the "*", always depress the key for at least one full
second. The system may sometimes have trouble hearing the "*" if there
is a lot of background noise at the other party's location.

Leave it to US SPRINT to start this kind of service.  Now ... if only
US SPRINT could do something about their Customer Service.

G. S. Thurman
4056081@mcimail.com

rborow@bcm1a09.attmail.com (11/27/90)

service:

        Big deal. Has Mr. Thurman (I'm assuming a male here) been
living in a cave? U.S. Sprint didn't "start this service," as he
lauds. AT&T has had something even better (and far less confusing, I
might add) for some time now.  It's called Alliance Teleconferencing.

        It works in a similar way, by using the "#" and "*" keys, but
also has many other enhanced features Sprint cannot yet match. I've
used Alliance several times and love it. It even has a "Meet Me"
feature which allows all conferees to start the conference at a
predetermined time simply by calling a secure, private access number.

        Once again, AT&T leads; the others follow.

Randy Borow    Rolling Meadows, IL.   (708) 228-7075

lars@spectrum.cmc.com (Lars Poulsen) (11/28/90)

In article <14920@accuvax.nwu.edu> 0004056081@mcimail.com (George S.
Thurman) writes (some hype deleted):

>US SPRINT ... now offer the ability to make conference calls on their
>Network ... at no extra charge until February 16, 1991, when
>there will be a 75 cent surcharge if you use this feature with your
>FONCARD(sm).

(1) Does this mean that the service is available without a
    surcharge on 10xxx calls from my home phone ?

>The new service will be known as QUICKCONFERENCE(sm), and instructions
>are as follows:

>After you establish a connection with your first party, depress the
>"*" [for at least one full second] followed by 12. This brings an
>additional Sprint dial tone.  Dial the number of the next party.
>(Do NOT dial "0").  Depress "*" again followed this time by 13.
>You are now connected! To drop the additional party, or if the
>additional party's number is busy, dial "*" followed by 14.

(2) How many parties can be conferenced?  Just three?  Five?
    Unlimited? (probably not, due to computer table space
    requirements).

    If only three parties allowed, it sounds like three-way calling
    without having to pay for presubscription to the feature.
    Nice, but not something I have missed at home; and at work,
    our PBX does three-way calls quite nicely.

    If this allows five or more participants with reasonable quality,
    it will be great competition for the AT&T conference call
    facility provided out of the special service centers.

(3) Is this provided through the switch at the IEC POP ?
    The described procedure would almost require this.
    How is the call billed? From the originator's location to
    each participant?

(4) Since the activation requires the switch to listen to data
    on the open call, will this not interfere with other uses
    of tone signalling? (Banking, remote control answering amchines
    and maybe even modems?) If it does, it would be a near disaster.

Is anyone from SPRint listening ?

Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

[Moderator's Note: I'll defer to George Thurman to find out some of
the answers to your questions. As it was explained to me, this new
service from Sprint is intended to be a three-way call type thing
without the need to set something up via Alliance for folks (most of
us?) who rarely need that much conferencing ability.  It will be
billed as two calls from the originator to wherever.  PAT]

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (12/03/90)

How can someone access this Alliance Teleconferencing?

[Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo 218/262-3142  300/1200/2400/9600 (HST/Dual)]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

[Moderator's Note: Alliance is an AT&T service for setting up
conference calls between yourself and several other parties. It has
two basic modes of operation: Operator-assisted, 24 hours per day,
from rotary or touch-tone phones: Call 1-800-544-6363 and give your
request to the operator. The other mode allows for a completely
automated conference with no operator intervenion or assistance. This
mode is available Monday through Friday from 6 AM to 7 PM ** from
touch-tone phones only ** by calling 0-700-456-1000. The automatic
mode is fully prompted. Further details and rates available from the
first number at any time.  PAT]

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (12/04/90)

In article <15144@accuvax.nwu.edu>, penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark
Steiger) writes:

> How can someone access this Alliance Teleconferencing?

> [Moderator's Note: Alliance is an AT&T service for setting up

> 		0-700-456-1000.

N.B. That 700 number MUST be dialed on ATT. If your default
carrier is someone else, you MUST use 10288 up front. Each carrier has
its own ENTIRE areacode 700 (unlike 800). What may be free dial-a-
prayer on one carrier could be costly dial-a-porn on another -- same
700 number.