[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering Machine and Call Waiting

john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/29/90)

Eric THOLOME <tholome@portia.stanford.edu> writes:

> My answering machine (Panasonic) has a switch which I should set to A
> if I don't use Call Waiting service, and B otherwise. Does anybody
> know what the precise difference is ?

This is a loop current timing selector. It determines whether the
answering machine will disconnect on a short loop current interruption
or whether it requires a longer one. The longer one is used for
call-waiting. This will prevent the machine from unceremoniously
hanging up on a caller who is leaving a message if someone else
happens to call at the same time. The shorter one will allow the
machine to hang up at the slightest loop twitch and has the advantage
of instantly disconnecting at the moment the caller hangs up.

All of the above mainly deals with 1/1AESS switches. Most digital
switches have no loop signal (CPC) on call waiting and you may set the
switch to the non-call waiting position.

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (hiding out in the desert)

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (12/04/90)

In article <15093@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

[ regarding the loop-disconnect-interval switch on a Panasonic
answering machine.]

> This is a loop current timing selector. It determines whether the
> answering machine will disconnect on a short loop current interruption
> or whether it requires a longer one. The longer one is used for
> call-waiting. This will prevent the machine from unceremoniously

On the 1AESS's here in NJ, a short ( < 100 msec) open-loop interval is
caused by call-waiting, and also by various call-state-changes that
occur during outbound call setup.

We get a 500 msec open-loop interval only when the far end
disconnects.

We strap our key telephone and PBX systems to recognize the long open
as a disconnect, and to ignore the shorter ones, when we use
loop-start trunks.

In the areas where we still have 5-Xbar, we strap the same devices to
recognize the short open loop (100 - 200 msec) as the disconnect
signal.  These switches don't generate the long interval.  (They also
don't offer call-waiting.)

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900  		Fax: 908 647 6857