[comp.dcom.telecom] Finland Wants 37!!

KLUB@maristb.bitnet (Richard Budd) (11/30/90)

Kauto Huopio <Kauto.Huopio@lut.fi> writes in TC Digest 851:

>I've heard that our PTT has made a request to obtain the former
>country code of the former East Germany {Country Code 37}

According to an engineer from Chemnitz, country code 37 is still being
used by Germany until the area codes of E. German communities are
reorganized.  The German government hopes to have the new system in
place by the beginning of 1991.  The reason for this is obvious.  Many
eastern German communities have the same area codes as cities and
towns in the former West Germany, but these communities are not
contiguous.  And of course there is the problem of two different
customers in different cities miles apart having the same telephone
number.

Germany is going through the same difficulty with postal zip codes.
For example, 8000 is the zip code for Muenchen in West Germany and
Dresden in East Germany.  For the time being, people mailing letters
to Germany need to put a "W" in front of the zip code for former West
German communities and an "O" <for Ost> for former East German
communities.

Richard Budd   KLUB@MARISTB.BITNET  Marist College   Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (12/05/90)

Kauto Huopio <Kauto.Huopio@lut.fi> writes in a submission which I
haven't seen, but which had a follow-up I have seen:

> I've heard that our [Finnish] PTT has made a request to obtain the
> former country code of the former East Germany [+37]

I understand that the three Baltic states have asked the CCITT for
their own separate country codes.  Given the possibility that new
codes will be needed for these countries, and for any other parts of
the USSR that break free, wouldn't it make more sense to give them
three-digit country codes of the form "37X" once Germany retires 37?
And anyway, why should Finland be unhappy with 358?  Is it merely
envious of the high-falutin' two-digit country codes owned by Norway,
Sweden and Denmark? :-)

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
62 Alexander Drive			...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA