  To: bsga05!jdominey
  From: attmail!walkerp (Paul A Walker )
  Date: Mon Nov 26 04:52:57 GMT 1990
  Subject: Card Blocking

Mr. Dominey,

I hope the following will clear up any confusion on calling card
blocking from payphones.

1. AT&T does, from time to time, block collect, calling card and third number
   calls in an effort to control fraud.

2. The blocking of calls is a legal practice in that AT&T has an existing
   tariff (TARIFF F.C.C. No. 1, 8th Revision of page 43, section 2.9.4)
   which states:

        In order to control fraud, the Company may refuse to accept
        Collect Calling, Calling Card and/or Third Number Calling which
        it determines to be invalid and/or may limit the use of these
        billing options to or from certain countries or areas including
        all or part of the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin
        Islands.

Paul Walker
Int'l Card Product Mngt

My own opinion: Blocking of this kind should be legal as long as the
LD company can demonstrate that blocking is the only means available
to stop a documented pattern of fraud.

Jack Dominey|AT&T Commercial Marketing|800 241-4285|AT&T Mail: !dominey
standard disclaimers apply

[Moderator's Note: Thank you very much for going to the trouble to get
this response for us. AT&T has not yet responded to my inquiries on
this however I had not made any recently.   PAT]