[comp.dcom.telecom] New Area Codes and Intl. Dialling

U5437880@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (11/24/90)

In article <14680@accuvax.nwu.edu>, og@chorus.fr (Olivier Giffard)
writes:

> I've just tried to dial a number in the 917 area code (non existent
> yet) from France. I got a French intercept message just after dialing
> the 7 of 917 saying that this code was not in service. What means has
> a switch in France to know that. There must be some kind of table to
> look up in; but then how is it updated?  In particular I'm wondering
> whether area code 917 will be available from France the very second it
> is put in service. I suppose there must be some kind of cooperation
> between ?BellCore? and foreign Telecom companies?  Can anyone comment
> on this?

In Australia we used to get a nice OTC (international carrier) message
which ran "We think you have dialled an incorrect country or area
code. Please check the number before you try again."  Now Telecom
Australia intercepts with a bored recording: "The number you have
dialled is not connected.  Please check the number before calling
again."  This is exactly the same message you get if you misdial a
local or LD call.

Why is there an intercept?  So the company which catches the wrong
number does not have to foot the bill for bandwidth to find out the
number is not connected.  Invalid area codes are the simplest to
check, since they change slowly, and there is a relatively small
number of valid possibilities.

After London split from 01 into 071 and 081 OTC implemented a full
conversion table, so dialling +44 1 xxx will tell you whether to dial
71 or 81.  If you dial the wrong one, you also get the correct
intercept.  For most prefixes the intercept comes in after three
prefix digits, for some only two are needed.

Try dialling 19 44 81 603 xxxx, and see if you get a French intercept.
I bet you will.

Danny

[Moderator's Note: I just now tried it from Chicago, USA. It accepted
the entire number (that is, 011-44-81-603-four more), and the response
to me on each of several attempts was the same recorded announcement:
You call cannot be completed by the telephone company in the country
you are calling at this time. Please try your call again later."
Interestingly, my call had left Chicago, gotten out of the USA and was
sitting in limbo somewhere. Instead of playing the French recording to
me, when AT&T heard something 'go wrong' over there, it yanked the
connection back and played an English language message instead.  PAT]

grayt@uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) (11/27/90)

In article <14934@accuvax.nwu.edu> U5437880@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
writes:

>In article <14680@accuvax.nwu.edu>, og@chorus.fr (Olivier Giffard)
>writes:

>> I've just tried to dial a number in the 917 area code (non existent
>> yet) from France. I got a French intercept message just after dialing
>> the 7 of 917 saying that this code was not in service. What means has
>> a switch in France to know that. There must be some kind of table to

>Why is there an intercept?  So the company which catches the wrong
>number does not have to foot the bill for bandwidth to find out the
>number is not connected.  Invalid area codes are the simplest to
>check, since they change slowly, and there is a relatively small
>number of valid possibilities.

>Try dialling 19 44 81 603 xxxx, and see if you get a French intercept.

>[Moderator's Note: I just now tried it from Chicago, USA. It accepted
>the entire number (that is, 011-44-81-603-four more), and the response
>to me on each of several attempts was the same recorded announcement:
>You call cannot be completed by the telephone company in the country
>you are calling at this time. Please try your call again later."
>Interestingly, my call had left Chicago, gotten out of the USA and was
>sitting in limbo somewhere. Instead of playing the French recording to
>me, when AT&T heard something 'go wrong' over there, it yanked the
>connection back and played an English language message instead.  PAT]

There may have been a combination of factors going on here. When you
reached the international network, a different type of networking
(siganlling) exists than that usually used in the US. When you
siganlled the French network with your originate, there was probably
an English language source signal in the message. Thus you could have
been connected to an English language recording in France because of
this. More likely, the originate message for your call, was answered
with a reply of "non-existing number" from the French network.  The US
side gateway switch (international) then would have terminated the
call on a recording without wasting transatlantic bandwidth.

I wouldn't know the precise signalling scheme used on your call but
the CCITT signalling scheme R2 provides all of these services and is
used on international calls.

In any event, it would have been the gateway switch on either side of
the Atlantic that would have intercepted your call. The national
signalling systems in both countries are separated by the gateway. Any
reply from the French network would have been meaningless to the
normal ATT network. ATT would have completed your call to the US
gateway and then turned control of your call over to the gateway. The
US gateway would signal the French gateway which will in turn control
the setting up of the call in France. With multiple connections it is
possible that the gateways will signal between themselves with tones
which are meaningless to the national networks.  This always seems
like the gateways are using the national networks as large PBX's to
me.

SDRY@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sergio Gelato) (11/29/90)

writes:

>Try dialling 19 44 81 603 xxxx, and see if you get a French intercept.

>[Moderator's Note: I just now tried it from Chicago, USA. It accepted
>the entire number (that is, 011-44-81-603-four more), and the response
>to me on each of several attempts was the same recorded announcement:
>You call cannot be completed by the telephone company in the country
>you are calling at this time. Please try your call again later."
>Interestingly, my call had left Chicago, gotten out of the USA and was
>sitting in limbo somewhere. Instead of playing the French recording to
>me, when AT&T heard something 'go wrong' over there, it yanked the
>connection back and played an English language message instead.  PAT]

One good reason why the Moderator didn't get a French language
intercept with this number (+44 81 etc.) is that 44 is the country
code for the United Kingdom (that of France being 33). A French
intercept may have been expected only if he had dialled the number
from France, where "+" translates to "19~". This does not invalidate
the conclusion about who generated the intercept message.

Sergio Gelato <gelato@AstroSun.TN.Cornell.Edu>

[Moderator's Note: The emphasis is on the wrong thing here. It is not
so much that it was an English speaking country, i.e. UK instead of a
French speaking country, but that AT&T yanked the cord when the
network sensed it wasn't getting anywhere on the other end for some
reason, and substituted an AT&T recording. The conection to the UK was
made, I know I had gotten as far as some switch in the UK, but no
ring/no answer/no busy signal. In a few seconds, bing! I am back on
the AT&T switch here in Chicago (apparently) being told the foreign
telephone company can't handle it right now.  PAT]

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (11/30/90)

> Try dialling 19 44 81 603 xxxx, and see if you get a French intercept.

> [Moderator's Note: I just now tried it from Chicago, USA. It accepted
> the entire number (that is, 011-44-81-603-four more), and the response
> to me on each of several attempts was the same recorded announcement
> ... Instead of playing the French recording to
> me, when AT&T heard something 'go wrong' over there, it yanked the
> connection back and played an English language message instead.  PAT]

Well, it presumably was an AT&T message, or you would have noticed an
accent.  But, although the quoted sentence refers to France and an
earlier part of that message did pertain to France, the country where
the above number would be (if it existed) *is* one where English is
spoken.

Well, a sort of English, anyway... :-)

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com

trebor@uunet.uu.net (Robert J Woodhead ) (12/04/90)

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

>But, although the quoted sentence refers to France and an
>earlier part of that message did pertain to France, the country where
>the above number would be (if it existed) *is* one where English is
>spoken. Well, a sort of English, anyway... :-)

Ahem!  Not to get pedantic (much though I love it), but you, sir, are
hardly in a position to make such cracks.  You are not a native
speaker of English.  You are a native speaker of Canadian, a, if I may
be permitted the liberty of a cheap crack at your expense, degenerate
creole of the language.  You may think you are speaking English, but
rest assured, you are not.

Similarly, it is most probable that our esteemed Moderator is also
laboring under the delusion that he is an english speaker, whereas in
reality, he speaks American.  American and English have diverged just
enough so they are barely mutually unintelligible.  This explains why
Monty Python is so popular in the US -- Americans think it is funny,
whereas Britons know that the whole point was that it isn't!

In point of fact, true English is only spoken in a small area in
Cambridge, England.  This is sort of the Zero Meridian for English.  I
myself speak a mildly (0.56%) degenerate form of the language, as I
was born (alas!) about 50 miles from there.

You may take some solace, however, in the realization that however
degenerate _your_ native tongue is, you are way ahead of the
Australians.  Nobody understands Australian -- even other Australians!

Oral member still firmly emplaced in cheek,

I remain your faithful correspondent,

Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  !uunet!biar!trebor trebor@biar.UUCP

[Moderator's Whine:  Well, ex-cuuuuuuuuuuse me!  I believe we here in
the colonies speak English with one of about fifty American accents.  PAT]

erik@naggum.uu.no (Erik Naggum) (12/05/90)

> Try dialling 19 44 81 603 xxxx, and see if you get a French intercept.

As has been pointed out, this is probably only valid from France.

SS#7 has language bits, but they seem to be used mainly to indicate to
the called country's operators in which language they should reply to
calling operators.  I don't know whether this is used in any other
part of SS#7, but it's the only place I've seen a reference to
languages in SS#7 proper.  There is a pointer to Q.104, which I don't
have access to, titled "Language digits or discriminating digits", to
which the 001001 code below refers.  For curiosity, the following bit
patterns and languages are supported with the calling party category
field of the initial address message:

	000000 unknown source
	000001 operator, language French
	000010 operator, language English
	000011 operator, language German
	000100 operator, language Russian
	000101 operator, language Spanish
	000110 \  Available to administrations for
	000111  > selecting a particular language
	001000 /  provided by mutual agreement
	001001 reserved  (may be used to indicate national operator)
	001010 ordinary calling subscriber
	001011 calling subscrier with priority
	001100 data call
	001101 test call
	001110 spare
	001111 payphone
	010000 \
	 thru   > spare
	111111 /

(This is CCITT recommendation Q.723 (1988) section 3.3.1 d).)

Ah, the wonders of reading specs from start to end... :-)

[Erik Naggum]
Naggum Software, Oslo, Norway