[comp.dcom.telecom] The Tone That Prompts For Calling Card Number

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (12/04/90)

I know the subject line sounds obscure; I couldn't describe it any
better in one line.

 From a public phone, for example, to make an operator assisted call,
or to make a calling card, one might dial 0 - area code - number. Then
there's a pause, and a sound best described as a 'boiiiing', or a
'pinnng', and after that, one enters the calling card number (or after
time out, operator comes on line.)

What are the specs on that tone? Frequency (single, or mixture of
frequencies), envelope, duration, etc.

(We're thinking of using that as a prompt on one of our products.)

Thanks,

Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby Nixon) (12/05/90)

In article <15178@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon
Sreekanth) writes:

>  From a public phone, for example, to make an operator assisted call,
> or to make a calling card, one might dial 0 - area code - number. Then
> there's a pause, and a sound best described as a 'boiiiing', or a
> 'pinnng', and after that, one enters the calling card number (or after
> time out, operator comes on line.)

> What are the specs on that tone? Frequency (single, or mixture of
> frequencies), envelope, duration, etc.

I can't quote all the specs to you (and can't look them up, because
I'm in a hotel room in Florida rather than in my office), but I CAN
tell you where to find the info:

	Notes on the BOC Intra-LATA Networks-1986
	TR-NPL-000275 Issue 1, April 1986
	Page 6-180
	Table AQ, Item 24
	Calling Card Service Prompt Tone

If you don't have this TR, you can order it from Bellcore.

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                   | UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      | Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (12/05/90)

Sreekanth) writes:

> What are the specs on that tone? Frequency (single, or mixture of
> frequencies), envelope, duration, etc.

 From "Notes on the BOC Intra-LATA Networks" Bellcore, 1983:

Calling Card Service-Prompt Tone:

941 Hz + 1477 Hz for 60 milliseconds, at -10 dBm0/frequency at -3 TLP
(-7 dBm0) followed by 440 Hz + 350 Hz for 940 milliseconds
(exponentially decayed from -10 dBm per frequency at -3 TLP at time
constant of 200 milliseconds).

Note that the initial 60 milliseconds of 941 + 1477 is the equivalent
of the touch tone # symbol.  This is done because the # will disable
the tone-to-pulse translators used on some older central office and
PBX equipment.  A caller using a tone-dial phone behind a tone-to-
pulse converter will thereby be allowed to send the calling-card
number using tones.

The rest of the tone (after the # symbol) is a decaying dial-tone.

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900  		Fax: 908 647 6857