[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Mail Info and Questions

nelson%bolyard.wpd.sgi.com@sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) (11/21/90)

In Volume 10, issue 821, I asked about AT&T's ACCESS program.  Our
Moderator tacked the following onto my posting:

In Volume 10, Issue 832 ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com (Ed Hopper) wrote:

>Messages created with ACCESS or sent via UUCP from a UNIX box do not
>have message creation charges associated with them.  Messages entered
>online do have such charges.  Unfortunately, messages edited offline
>and sent up via XModem from Procomm, etc. also have "creation"
>charges.

So while one may not absolutely NEED their "ACCESS" program to be able
to communicate, it seems that without ACCESS (or UUCP), the costs of
sending e-mail are increased by about 50%, due to their "online
message creation" charges.  When these "creation" charges are figured
in, MCI Mail suddenly seems much more cost-effective.  By eliminating
the 40 cent creation charges, the $150 ACCESS program would pay for
itself after 375 messages.

Today, an AT&T Mail Customer Assistance Center techincal
representative dropped this bombshell on me: He is NOT PERMITTED to
tell me ANYTHING about how to use their Internet mail gateway because
it's not "official" yet.  He didn't think it was working yet.  When
confronted with the news that there are people who use it regularly to
communciate with the internet, his response was that I should reply to
a message from one of those people and ask them how they do it.
Astounding!  If you want to know how to use AT&T Mail, you're better
off asking their customers, not their Customer Assistance reps?

So with no alternative left, I ask Pat and any other AT&T Mail users in
telecom land, the following questions:

1.  How do you, as an AT&T Mail user, address mail to someone on the Internet.
    How would you address mail to me, nelson@sgi.com, for example?

2.  How do I (an Internet mail user) address mail to you, an AT&T Mail user?
    I invite you to send me some e-mail from your AT&T Mail account.
    I should be able to figure out the reply address from the mail I receive.

Nelson Bolyard            MTS Secure IRIX              Silicon Graphics, Inc.
nelson@sgi.COM     {decwrl,sun}!sgi!whizzer!nelson     415-335-1919
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein do not represent the views of my employer.

[Moderator's Note: In answer to both your questions, I won't tell you.
I was given permission to use the gateway to ATT Mail during the beta
test stage under the condition that I not discuss it in detail in the
Digest. I am permitted to add names to the list from ATT Mail however,
and the folks who have received mail know how it is done. Furthermore,
there is a help file on ATT Mail which discusses the topic. I hope the
people who gave me permission to use it will soon okay a formal
discussion of it including examples, etc.  PAT]

hansen@pegasus.att.com (Tony L Hansen) (12/01/90)

 From: nelson%bolyard.wpd.sgi.com@sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard)

< Today, an AT&T Mail Customer Assistance Center techincal representative
< dropped this bombshell on me: He is NOT PERMITTED to tell me ANYTHING
< about how to use their Internet mail gateway because it's not
< "official" yet.  He didn't think it was working yet.  When confronted
< with the news that there are people who use it regularly to communciate
< with the internet, his response was that I should reply to a message
< from one of those people and ask them how they do it.  Astounding!  If
< you want to know how to use AT&T Mail, you're better off asking their
< customers, not their Customer Assistance reps?

Nelson,

Let me get this straight: You're offended because AT&T Mail has a test
connection to the Internet, but won't tell you how to use it? Note
that test connections are probably subject to unreasonable amounts of
down time or potentially lost or mangled mail. (I'm not saying that
the AT&T Mail test connection does or does not have these problems.)
They're called "tests" for a reason; tests don't always work perfectly
100% of the time. Obviously some other people are willing to take the
risks; does that mean that AT&T Mail should advertise where to take
the risks?  AT&T Mail has a certain reputation regarding guaranteed
delivery or acknowledgement of non-delivery. In light of this
reputation, non-disclosure of less-than-perfect services by the
Customer Assistance is definitely in line with their goals.

Tony Hansen     att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony   hansen@pegasus.att.com

[Moderator's Note: Apparently the testing is now finished. I got a
note from my contact at att.com saying that a copy of the
documentation would be sent to me for publication in the Digest. As of
yet that documentation has not arrived (either here or my box at
attmail), but assuming it will come eventually, I'm publishing the
next two messages to explain the process.  PAT]

rhyre@cinoss1.att.com (Ralph W. Hyre) (12/01/90)

I believe:

internet!<machine>!user, ie internet!eecs.nwu.edu!telecom

While ONLINE, try 'Help internet' or 'help network', or something like
that.  ATTMail is busy advertising their X.400 interconnections with
other services, I can't imagine why Internet paths would be 'secret.'
[It has never been related to me as such, and I am not especially
privledged.]

Good luck.

Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: rhyre@attmail.com		Snail Mail: 45150-0085 [ZIP code]
UUCP: att!cinoss1!cinpmx!rhyre		Phone: +1 513 629 7288

tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby Nixon) (12/02/90)

In article <14874@accuvax.nwu.edu>, nelson%bolyard.wpd.sgi.com@sgi.com
(Nelson Bolyard) writes:

> So with no alternative left, I ask Pat and any other AT&T Mail users in
> telecom land, the following questions:

Pat said he's sworn to secrecy because he's an official beta-tester of
the gateway.  Well, I simply stumbled onto it, am not an official beta
tester, am not sworn to secrecy, and hopefully he'll post this message
to the group.

> 1.  How do you, as an AT&T Mail user, address mail to someone on the
> Internet. How would you address mail to me, nelson@sgi.com, for
> example?

I would address AT&T Mail to you as "internet!sgi.com!nelson".  Maybe
I'll try it and see if it works!  Might be necessary to throw a smart
mailer in there, like "internet!uunet!sgi.com!nelson".  I can send to
myself at Hayes as "internet!uunet!hayes!tnixon".

> 2.  How do I (an Internet mail user) address mail to you, an AT&T
> Mail user?  I invite you to send me some e-mail from your AT&T Mail
> account. I should be able to figure out the reply address from the
> mail I receive.

You can send mail to me at AT&T Mail as "tnixon@attmail.com" or
"uunet!attmail.com!tnixon".

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                   | UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      | Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net

[Moderator's Note: Your instructions are correct. Although the gateway
was officially closed for some time pending software changes and the
making of policy decisions regarding traffic from ATT Mail to our net
and vice-versa, TELECOM Digest has been allowed to pass through to ATT
Mail subscribers for some time. I was asked to say nothing about it
until everything was finalized. I got a note several days ago saying
the documentation would be sent to me for publication, but it has not
arrived. When it does, I'll publish it. In the meantime, the use of
the gateway is very simple: username@attmail.com gets it from here to
there; internet!site!username gets it from there to here. For the
purpose of this discussion, Bitnet is considered a 'domain' of the
Internet, i.e. 'internet!nuacc.bitnet!telecom' would reach me as would
'internet!eecs.nwu.edu!telecom'. Likewise, Fido is a 'domain', meaning
you would write to: 'internet!fido.address!username. Always use the
bang (!) style of addressing from ATT Mail; never use '@'.  PAT]

wolfgang@uunet.uu.net (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (12/04/90)

nelson%bolyard.wpd.sgi.com@sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) writes:

>So with no alternative left, I ask Pat and any other AT&T Mail users in
>Telecom-land, the following questions:

>2.  How do I (an Internet mail user) address mail to you, an AT&T Mail user?
>    I invite you to send me some e-mail from your AT&T Mail account.
>    I should be able to figure out the reply address from the mail I receive.

psuvax1.psu.edu!cbis3!attmail!<username>

>1.  How do you, as an AT&T Mail user, address mail to someone on the Internet.
>    How would you address mail to me, nelson@sgi.com, for example?

attmail!cbis3!psuvax1.psu.edu!<machine>!<user>

This assumes attmail can send to uucp addresses.  I have no idea about
this silly mail service.

Why wouldn't one just run UUPC on their own pc and get uucp mail
connectivity for free?  UUPC is a PD uucp clone by Rick Lamb. It's
avalable on uunet and other PD sources archives.

Wolfgang Rupprecht    wolfgang@wsrcc.com (or) uunet!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524

[Moderator's Note: I think the preferred addressing for outbound from
ATT Mail is:  internet!wherever.domain!username. And it is really a
moot point as to whether or not ATT Mail can reach uucp addresses,
since all they do (I believe) is hand off everything to the Internet
for routing, including Bitnet and Fido, and I assume uucp as well.
Regarding your comment about running a uucp clone and 'getting it for
free', I'd be interested in hearing about the deal you cut with C&P to
give you a no-charge phone line for your site.   PAT]

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (Herman R Silbiger) (12/05/90)

> you would write to: 'internet!fido.address!username. Always use the
> bang (!) style of addressing from ATT Mail; never use '@'.  PAT]

Not so!  I regularly use @ in my mailings from attmail, however,
attmail always shows the From: in !style.

Herman Silbiger
hsilbiger@attmail.com

psrc@mtunq.att.com (Paul S R Chisholm) (12/05/90)

In article <15164@accuvax.nwu.edu>, wsrcc!wolfgang@uunet.uu.net
(Wolfgang S. Rupprecht), in response to a question about how to get
form the Internet from AT&T Mail, replies:

> psuvax1.psu.edu!WOLFSYS!attmail!<username>

Well, no; it's not WOLFSYS.  But please *don't* follow Mr. Repprecht's
suggestion.  (I'm sure his suggestions was made helpfully, and I don't
mean to criticize; but it does have problems.)

Yes, some systems are registered with AT&T Mail and reachable via the
Internet.  It's possible to send e-mail through those systems, thus
causing them to be billed by AT&T for your e-mail messages.  That
makes our customers unhappy.  When our customers are unhappy, I'm
unhappy.  You wouldn't want to make me unhappy, would you?  (There are
ways for administrators to limit pass-through traffic.)

This is the kind of problem that could be solved by someone funding an
AT&T Mail/Internet gateway.  I have discussed this with AT&T Mail
management at length.  At, in fact, great length.  However, AT&T has
not announced any such gateway.  I won't discuss any unannounced AT&T
products or services.

Is the suspense killing you, or what?

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!mtunq!psrc, psrc@mtunq.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

Pat (an open note): Yes, I did ask product management to send you an
announcement for a new feature of AT&T Mail.  That is, to send the
announcement to you after it had been announced, or with an embargo
date and a request not to say anything until just after we make an
official announcement.  Sorry for the confusion.  --Paul

[Moderator's Note: Mr. Chisholm is the person who arranged for the
Digest to be delivered to ATT Mail readers, and the person who asked
that I not discuss it further until an official announcement came out.
I assumed (from the note he alludes to above) that the memo I was to
receive (but still have not received) was regarding the gateway.  PAT]