[comp.dcom.telecom] It's a Trademark not a Copyright

ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com (Ed Hopper) (12/05/90)

mailrus!uflorida!rm1!bapat@uunet.uu.net (Subodh Bapat) writes:

> Talking about the Bell logo, is there any truth to the rumor that,
> once long ago, AT&T lost its right to use the Bell logo, as the
> copyright expired and they forgot to renew it? The story I heard was
> that they had to pay a lot of money to get it back from some smart
> entrepreneur who, in the meantime, sneaked in and got the copyright
> for himself.

> Anyone have any facts to substantiate/dispel this rumor?

> [Moderator's Note: I've never heard that story before. Readers?   PAT]

I don't believe this is the case.  The Bell logo is not protected by
copyright but rather by trademark law.  It is held (at the direction
of Judge Green) by Bellcore.

A trademark doesn't, to my knowledge, expire unless it is no longer
used by the holder.  A copyright, on the other hand, will eventually
expire.  Some movies, for example, are in the public domain as their
copyrights have expired.

Ed Hopper

Ed Hopper's BBS 713-997-7575 - Houston - Free Access to AT&T Employees
USENET - ILink - Smartnet     PC Board - Markmail Offline Reader System

syd@dsi.com (Syd Weinstein) (12/06/90)

ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com (Ed Hopper) writes:

>A trademark doesn't, to my knowledge, expire unless it is no longer
>used by the holder.

A trademark expires every ten years, but can be renewed indefinetly.
(Of the 1.1M trademarks registered in the US< about 700K are still
renewed.)  Of course, you can lose a trademark by it becoming the
generic name for an item.

Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP       Elm Coordinator
Datacomp Systems, Inc.              Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd            FAX:   (215) 938-0235