[comp.dcom.telecom] Use of 10732 for LD Calls

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (12/05/90)

I called from an AT&T pay phone on 301-272, and made credit card call
to time and weather service in Delaware by punching in
10732-0-302-633-1212 and after I punched in my credit card number, it
went thru as if I had punched in 10288 instead of 10732.  (i.e., via
AT&T)

[Moderator's Note: I did almost the very same thing from a payphone on
the 312-743 exchange. I dialed 10732-0 and asked the operator how much
change I would need to get for the coin box to place a call to
Kalamazoo and Timbuck, too.  She had never heard of Timbuck, so it
took her awhile to find the rate for that one. I mentioned to her that
my five year old grandson down in Timbuck had recommended routing all
my DDD traffic over 10732 in the future and escrowing the savings into
his college fund since it was unlikely the salary I'm paid as a
mild-mannered reporter for that great metropolitan daily TELECOM
Digest would ever be enough to buy a pot to cook in, let alone pay for
his tuition. The operator said she had never heard of 10732 and was
that one of those new alternate carrier services ... Really, the only
thing I've found different between 10288 and 10732 is the latter won't
complete a call to 700-555-4141.Other than that, they are identical in
how they operate, it seems. But are the rates lower on 10732? Do the
Reach Out Plans do their thing?  My next bill will tell the answer.  PAT]

ekrell@ulysses.att.com (12/06/90)

Patrick,

  I think the original poster said the rates were lower if you had SDN
(Software Defined Network). I doubt you'll get lower rates without
SDN.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

bill@daysinns.UUCP (Bill Crane) (12/07/90)

In article <15196@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>I called from an AT&T pay phone on 301-272, and made credit card call
>to time and weather service in Delaware by punching in
>10732-0-302-633-1212 and after I punched in my credit card number, it
>went thru as if I had punched in 10288 instead of 10732.  (i.e., via
>AT&T)

>[Moderator's Note: I did almost the very same thing from a payphone on
>the 312-743 exchange. ...

I questioned our AT&T SDN rep, who initially responded that 10732
would block non-subscriber traffic.  I was able to stage a
demonstration to the contrary, and he looked deeper into the matter
for me.

Currently, almost anyone can complete a call using 10732 (except
perhaps in high fraud areas where the service is turned on for each
specific user).  At the end of each billing period, the SDNCC verifies
that each call carried by 10732 is a valid SDN call.  Those calls that
were not placed by SDN subscribers are then billed at regular rates
(no savings).  Due to the processing time for this verification, the
call may not appear on your bill for up to 60 days.

Eventually, only SDN subscribers will be able to complete calls on
10732.

Bill Crane                     ...!gatech!daysinns!bill
Days Inns of America Inc       bill%daysinns@gatech.edu
2751 Buford Hwy NE             Atlanta GA 30324