[comp.dcom.telecom] 10xxx Codes Detective Work

ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com (Ed Hopper) (12/07/90)

SABAHE@macalstr.edu (Arun Baheti <SABahe@MACALSTR.EDU>) writes:

> Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the 10xxx's for the Twin
> Cities area (US West)?

One time, when I was *very* bored, I compiled a list of 10xxx codes
the hard way -- I sat and dialed 1-700-555-4141 preceded by EVERY
three digit number from 100 to 999.  It really doesn't take that long
if you have the 700-555-4141 number in speed calling.  Now, those
numbers that do not have toll billing agreements with the RBOC are
probably not reachable, but if you can't use them, who cares what
their number was?

It was very useful on Black Monday trying to find out what the hell
happened.

Ed Hopper

 BBS: 713-997-7575  ehopper@attmail.com  ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com
 coming soon:ehopper@ncr.att.com ????!!!!!  :-)

[Moderator's Note: 'ncr.att.com' you say? The hell you say! Not
everyone at NCR would agree with your assessment, nor your smiley
notation. To some at NCR, the situation looks quite grim. I'll reserve
judgment for now -- such a merger might be a good deal. Who knows?
But more to the point: if you 'tried every number from 100 through
999' then you overlooked the ones from 001 through 099 didn't you?
There are carrier access codes down there also I believe.  PAT]