[comp.dcom.telecom] Does *ANY* PBX Supply Loop Interrupt Signal??

bote@uunet.uu.net (John Boteler) (11/29/90)

I know a similar, not identical, topic has been thrashed about here
recently.

Does any currently available PBX transmit the loop interrupt signal
through to its POTS (2500-type) stations? Assume, for the sake of
sanity, that the telephone company central office does provide a loop
interrupt signal to us on POTS subscriber loops when the calling party
releases the call.

According to our research so far, neither the Vodavi nor the Mitel
SX-100/200 line provides this.

Is the search futile?

John Boteler   bote@csense                {uunet | ka3ovk}!media!csense!bote
SkinnyDipper's Hotline: 703 241 BARE | VOICE only, Touch-Tone(TM) signalling

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (12/04/90)

> Does any currently available PBX transmit the loop interrupt signal
> through to its POTS (2500-type) stations? Assume, for the sake of
> sanity, that the telephone company central office does provide a loop
> interrupt signal to us on POTS subscriber loops when the calling party
> releases the call.

PBX trunks should be ground start. Your switch WILL notice when the CO
hangs up their end of a G/S tk.

> According to our research so far, neither the Vodavi nor the Mitel
> SX-100/200 line provides this.

I have been told, but have never verified, that an SX-200D with
Generic 1003 can give the interrupt signal to the extension. It may be
possible with earlier generics, too, but the situation this came up in
had 1003 as an existing assumption. The person saying this was a Mitel
internal tech support type.

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (12/04/90)

In article <15081@accuvax.nwu.edu>, csense!bote@uunet.uu.net (John
Boteler) writes:

> Does any currently available PBX transmit the loop interrupt signal
> through to its POTS (2500-type) stations? Assume, for the sake of

AT&T's System 25 does propagate the loop current interrupt signal
toward its tip/ring stations when a trunk releases the PBX.  The
propagation is delayed by a few seconds.

Systems 75 and 85 also propagate the loop interrupt, but it is delayed
by up to 60 seconds.

Can anybody answer John's questions for Merlin, Spirit, and Partner?

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900  		Fax: 908 647 6857

jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (12/06/90)

In article <15081@accuvax.nwu.edu> is written:

>Does any currently available PBX transmit the loop interrupt signal
>through to its POTS (2500-type) stations? Assume, for the sake of
>sanity, that the telephone company central office does provide a loop
>interrupt signal to us on POTS subscriber loops when the calling party
>releases the call.

>According to our research so far, neither the Vodavi nor the Mitel
>SX-100/200 line provides this.

Ahh, the subject over which I would love to hit some PBX designers
over the head.

In my searches, I came up with a few.  The NEC NEAX2400 has an
optional analog line card that does provide CPC.  Their normal one
doesn't, so you have to be sure to get the cards that do.  But I hate
the feature implementation and the sets that the switch uses along
with the fact that it will not let you send long touch-tones.

The AT&T switches all provide CPC.  They also allow long touch-tones.
Something that AT&T got right.  But their switches tend to be a bit on
the expensive side.  Prices in the used market aren't that bad though.

I am told that the ITT 3100 series also provides it.

And that's all I know.  Now wouldn't you think that a CO switch
manufacturer like Northern Telecom would know enough to have this
feature?  But then they screw it up in their CO switches too.

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (12/07/90)

In article <15237@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim
Gottlieb) writes:

[Regarding PBX switches that pass the open-loop disconnect signal
from the CO through to their analog station ports.]

> The AT&T switches all provide CPC.  They also allow long touch-tones.
> Something that AT&T got right.

Early-vintage Merlin and System 25 do not allow arbitrarily long
touch-tones from their 'ATL' proprietary multi-button sets.