[comp.dcom.telecom] Return*Call Humor

weave@brahms.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) (11/26/90)

Here in northern Delaware, we have had CLASS calling in most exchanges
for a few years now. Return*Call was great at first, but is slowly
losing its effectiveness with cranks as more and more people realize
how it works.

About a year ago, my girl friend had an encounter with Return*Call biting
her back. It went like this ...

My girl friend gets a crank phone call, the typical heavy breathing type.

She immedialely Return*Calls it. A lady answers. My girl friend shouts
into the phone "I know who you are and what you are up to, so you
better stop it now" and then hangs up the phone.

(A typical Return*Call bluff. You don't know who they are, but it
works effectively until word gets around how Return*Call works ...)

A minute later, our phone rings again. My girl friend answers and it
is this woman again, who obviously Return*Called us. She stated that
she knew who we were (bluff again) and if the crank phone calls don't
stop, she was going to call the police.

We sat around puzzled for a moment, then finally figured out that
there must be several extensions in their house and the original crank
call must have originated, perhaps, with a child, and the child's
Mother answered our Return*Call.

I then did a Return*Call myself to her to try and explain the
situation to her. When she answered, she was at the boiling point. I
tried explaining but I don't think she heard a word. She hollered that
she had had enough, was going to hang up, initiate a call trace, and
then call the police.

At that point, I realized I should have probably just let it go after
her first call, but by this time it was too late. We just sat back and
waited for the police to contact us. However, this never happened,
thankfully.

So, the morale is, "Those that live by Return*Call can get bitten by
it too!"  --or-- "Those that never had class to begin with, shouldn't
try and get it from the phone company."

den0@midway.uchicago.edu (funky chicken) (11/27/90)

In article <14952@accuvax.nwu.edu> weave@brahms.udel.edu (Ken
Weaverling) describes how his girl friend had "Return*called" a crank
call, yelling at the caller, only to have that person return the call
and act as if she were the crank caller.  He concludes:

>We sat around puzzled for a moment, then finally figured out that
>there must be several extensions in their house and the original crank
>call must have originated, perhaps, with a child, and the child's
>Mother answered our Return*Call.

Or else the real crank caller was at another number and was forwarding
calls to another one of his/her victims.

Matt Funkchick

[Moderator's Note: This raises a good point. When a call reaches you
via forwarding through some other number, does 'return call' go to the
forwarded number or the original caller? Likewise for Call Screening
and Caller-ID: *whose* ID gets passed for the purpose of callback
and/or screening, etc?   PAT]

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (11/27/90)

In article <14984@accuvax.nwu.edu> TELECOM Moderator writes:

>[Moderator's Note: This raises a good point. When a call reaches you
>via forwarding through some other number, does 'return call' go to the
>forwarded number or the original caller? Likewise for Call Screening
>and Caller-ID: *whose* ID gets passed for the purpose of callback
>and/or screening, etc?   PAT]

I got involved in a conversation with my Pacific Bell friend last week
about just this issue.  He's working on implementing all the new SS7
stuff on the DMS-100's.  Apparently, they consider the person actually
placing the call to be the "Caller" with respect to "Caller ID."  It
doesn't matter if there are several "hops" of forwarding - the
original number will display.

Also, we talked about how this works with ISDN.  There will be display
sets which can display both the calling number and the called number.
So, a secretary, upon receiving a call, can tell not only the number
of the calling party, but the number they called (very useful in the
case where the call no-answer transferred to the secretary, and where
there are several numbers that no-answer transfer to the same place).
Of course, I just had to ask the question: "What if there are several
hops of no-answer transfer or call forwarding?"  In this case, the
original calling number and the original called number will be
displayed, regardless of any subsequent transfers.  This gives the
answerer complete information: who is calling, and who they think they
called.

bote@uunet.uu.net (John Boteler) (11/29/90)

PAT writes:

> This raises a good point. When a call reaches you
> via forwarding through some other number, does 'return call' go to the
> forwarded number or the original caller? Likewise for Call Screening
> and Caller-ID: *whose* ID gets passed for the purpose of callback
> and/or screening, etc?

[ Author's Note: As discussed previously, Calling Line ID is what the
name says it is: the ID of the line calling you is displayed and used
for CLASS treatment. Forwarding Line ID is another spec yet to be
offered as far as I know.

If you *69 the sucker, it goes back to the caller, not the forwarder. ]

John Boteler   bote@csense                {uunet | ka3ovk}!media!csense!bote
SkinnyDipper's Hotline: 703 241 BARE | VOICE only, Touch-Tone(TM) signalling

yazz@prodnet.la.locus.com (Bob Yasi) (12/05/90)

I believe there remains a point to be made in the call-back-the-
annoyance-caller-but-he-used-call-forwarding-so-now-what-happens
saga.

If A is the annoyer he can 1) fwd to B, then 2) call up and annoy C.

If C returns the call with call*return, is the annoyer's call
forwarding ignored, ringing A's phone?  If not, and the return*call to
A is forwarded to B, the spleen-venting victims could *69 each other
all day!  This could be what happened to the original poster of this
dilemma.

   Bob Yazz --  yazz@lccsd.sd.Locus.com

[Moderator's Note: They'll need to fix it so that *69 overrides call
forwarding.  PAT]

dwp@cci632.cci.com (Dana Paxson) (12/08/90)

One of the first things I do when I see an array of features supplied
in a system is ask myself: What collisions or 'cross- products' of
features yield newly emergent effects?  It seems to me in the rush to
tantalize with new services and collect new revenues, the telephone
companies are rushing some not-well- thought-out combinations to
market.  The call-forwarding plus call-return combination should have
been better analyzed before setting them out for the already-dazed
subscriber.

A nuisance caller who has unsupervised access to a telephone providing
call forwarding can set call forward on that phone to target someone,
then dial through the forwarded phone with a nuisance call.  This
example is a kind of inverse of the one discussed earlier.  Disabling
of call-forward when executing a call-return in this situation simply
leaves the unsuspecting owner of the forwarded phone with an irate
victim confronting him/her.  It is a complicated situation to resolve
in any case unless the call forwarding is somehow 'visible' to the
recipient of the call.

Dana Paxson    Computer Consoles, Inc.  97 Humboldt Street
Rochester, NY  14609   716 654-2588     dwp@cci632.com

gauthier@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul Gauthier) (12/08/90)

	People keep mentioning *69 as the code which invokes return
call. Has anyone noticed the possible sick humor this number could
cause. You would be 'reciprocating' a call, so to speak. :-)

 From the warped mind of,

      PG
      gauthier@ug.cs.dal.ca
      tyrant@dalac.bitnet
      tyrant@ac.dal.ca

[Moderator's Note: I agree that was a very warped thing to say.  PAT]