[comp.dcom.telecom] Calls to and Within Australia

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (12/08/90)

David Wilson <david@cs.uow.edu.au> writes (w/r to Australia):

>All cellular phones are in their own prefix (018).

The understanding is that the leading zero is stripped off when
calling from outside of Australia.  (This is also the case in Italy,
UK, West Germany, and elsewhere -- but NOT in the USSR.)

>It is not possible to tell if a call is local (but to an adjacent area
>code) or within an area code but at STD rates (disjoint charging
>districts) without knowing a little bit of geography and which
>exchanges are where.

How are local and long distance calls made within Australia?

jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Jim Breen) (12/10/90)

In article <15282@accuvax.nwu.edu>, cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

> David Wilson <david@cs.uow.edu.au> writes (w/r to Australia):
> >It is not possible to tell if a call is local (but to an adjacent area
> >code) or within an area code but at STD rates (disjoint charging
> >districts) without knowing a little bit of geography and which
> >exchanges are where.

> How are local and long distance calls made within Australia?

The same as in most other countries, i.e. you have an area code
(invariably beginning with a 0) and a local number. The area code is
only necessary when dialing from another area.

David Wilson is referring to the fact that you cannot rely on the
presence/absence of an area code to tell you whether a call is
"local", i.e. flat rate (22c) or "trunk" i.e. timed. We have some
areas about the size of US states or European countries. You do get a
"pip-pip-pip" sound at a start of a call to warn you that it is
time-charged.

Jim Breen     AARNet:jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
Department of Robotics & Digital Technology.
Monash University. PO Box 197 Caulfield East VIC 3145 Australia
(ph) +61 3 573 2552 (fax) +61 3 573 2745           JIS:$B%8%`!!%V%j!<%s(J