[comp.dcom.telecom] The "Bell" Logo

john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/26/90)

On Nov 25 at 11:41, TELECOM Moderator writes:

> His monthly invoices even looked
> *identical* to IBT's -- even with 'other charges and credits' !! His
> bills did not say IBT, but they did include the old Bell System logo
> of the bell inside the circle, which I guess belongs to no one now.  PAT]

Patrick, I believe you are mistaken. Unlike the "walking fingers"
which no one ever bothered to copyright or register and as a result
found itself in the public domain, the bell logo was made the
collective property of the seven RBOC's in the MFJ. I believe there is
at least one RBOC still actively using the logo even though most have
dropped it.

Southwestern Bell puts it on its telephone products and there may be
an eastern RBOC that still uses it. It is not in the public domain.

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (hiding out in the desert)

carols@drilex.dri.mgh.com (Carol Springs) (11/27/90)

In Volume 10, Issue 845, John Higdon writes:

>...the bell logo was made the
>collective property of the seven RBOC's in the MFJ. I believe there is
>at least one RBOC still actively using the logo even though most have
>dropped it.

New England Telephone uses the logo on its bills and envelopes.
Perhaps NET's continued use of the bell-in-circle serves to emphasize
NET's status as a "real" telco despite the absence of "Bell" in its
name.

Carol Springs                      carols@drilex.dri.mgh.com

gs26@prism.gatech.edu (Glenn R. Stone) (11/27/90)

In <14949@accuvax.nwu.edu> john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

[about the "bell" logo being PD]

>Patrick, I believe you are mistaken. Unlike the "walking fingers"
>[...]  the Bell logo was made the
>collective property of the seven RBOC's in the MFJ. I believe there is
>at least one RBOC still actively using the logo even though most have
>dropped it.

Yep.  Southern Bell still uses the old "Ma Bell" symbol; it's right
here on my phone bill envelope.  It's also high atop the Southern Bell
tower on West Peachtree, three blocks from the Georgia Tech campus
where I'm typing this.  They're even using the same font to spell
"Southern Bell"... although the little subtitle "A BELLSOUTH Company"
is different.

Another interesting tidbit in my phone bill this month: Southern Bell
is now implementing a late charge.  Effective 1/1/91, anyone who has
an unpaid past due balance of more than $30 will be charged 1.25% per
month.

No comment.

Glenn R. Stone (gs26@prism.gatech.edu) -- Atlanta, GA

[Moderator's Note: Most telcos have charged a late fee for years. It
really is fair, considering they have to pay their bills like anyone
else.   PAT]

barmar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu (Barry Margolin) (11/28/90)

In article <14949@accuvax.nwu.edu> john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

>the Bell logo was made the collective property of the seven RBOC's
>in the MFJ. I believe there is at least one RBOC still actively using
>the logo even though most have dropped it.

>Southwestern Bell puts it on its telephone products and there may be
>an eastern RBOC that still uses it. It is not in the public domain.

NYNEX still uses it.  We had a meeting today with a couple of NYNEX
representatives, and the Bell logo is emblazoned on their business
cards.

Barry Margolin       Thinking Machines Corp.
barmar@think.com     {uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Douglas Scott Reuben) (11/28/90)

Hi-

John Higdon posted about use of the old Bell System logo among the
RBOCs:

I know NYNEX (New York Tel and New England Tel) uses the Bell in its
logo, as do the individual operating companies of NY Tel and New
England Tel.  (And their Mobile division, occasionally...) An employee
at NE Tel told me a few years ago that NYNEX wanted to get rid of the
Bell logo wherever the word "NYNEX" appears, but so far they don't
seem to have implemented this yet.

SNET (Southern New England Tel, NOT part of NYNEX, thankfully!),
doesn't use the Bell logo anymore (although it has replaced it with a
cheap copy), but their mobile division (SONECOR? or is it
SNET-Mobilcom?) still uses the Bell on some of their literature,
probably to distinguish it from Metro Mobile, the "A" cellular
carrier. (They are not an "RBOC", nor in one.)

Bell Atlantic (C&P Tel, Diamond State Tel, Bell of PA, NJ Bell, more?)
still uses the Bell symbol on all of its divisions, ie, "Bell
Atlantic" the RBOC, all of the local Bells, and the mobile division.

Bell South (well, ok, whatever the Bell is in New Orleans - South
Central Bell?) also seems to use the logo, although I am not sure what
the mobile division uses.

I'm not sure about Ameritech (Midwest) as a whole, but I THINK the
payphones at O'Hare and Midway said Illinois Bell and had the Bell
logo next to it.  (This was six months ago, so maybe it changed.)
Don't know if "Ameritech" the RBOC uses it, though.

US West (at least the ex-Pacific Northwest Bell BOC) USED to use it,
until maybe about January, 1990. I have a Bend, Oregon directory from
1989, and it has the logo, but the newer 1990-1991 book does not. If I
remember correctly, there was a small passage in the newer book
stating that PNB was changing its name to "US West", or something to
that effect.

As to Pac*Bell, well, they kept the word "Bell", but I guess the like
the highly original asterisk symbol a lot better! :-) (They must have
searched REALLY hard for that logo! "Gee ... let's use one of the
buttons on the phone!")  Interestingly, I see a lot of their products
in stores (phones, answering machines, etc.) that say "Pac*Tel" and
have the Bell logo next to it, but I don't see it anywhere else.
(There is also some other company, maybe it is Northwestern Bell?,
that has a logo "Bell Phones" in bold type and a Bell logo next to it.
There is also Southwestern Bell, which has the standard SWB/Bell logo
 ... nothing new there.)

Anyone know what Cincinnati Bell (not a "real" BOC, and certainly not
an RBOC) uses? Maybe they borrowed SNET's! (or more likely, SNET
borrowed Cincinnati Bell's! :-) )

Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

pmd@cbvox.att.com (Paul M Dubuc) (11/29/90)

In article <14977@accuvax.nwu.edu>, (Douglas Scott Reuben) writes:

> I'm not sure about Ameritech (Midwest) as a whole, but I THINK the
> payphones at O'Hare and Midway said Illinois Bell and had the Bell
> logo next to it.  (This was six months ago, so maybe it changed.)

Ohio Bell (an Ameritech Company) still uses the Bell logo.

Paul Dubuc    att!cbvox!pmd

graff@mlpvm2.iinus1.ibm.com (Michael Graff) (11/30/90)

In issue 848, Douglas Scott Reuben writes:

>  As to Pac*Bell, well, they kept the word "Bell", but I guess the
>  like the highly original asterisk symbol a lot better! :-) (They
>  must have searched REALLY hard for that logo!  "Gee ... let's use
>  one of the buttons on the phone!")

You'll appreciate a COCOT I saw last night.  In a font that looked
pretty close to the one used by PACIFIC*BELL, it said WESTERN#BELL.  I
guess other companies will have to use one of the digits, or perhaps
they can use a word with DEF or TUV or OPER in it.  :-)

I had very little time to play with it, but at first glance it seemed
to be pretty reasonable for a COCOT.  Dialing 10288 did not get an
immediate intercept message.  The label explicitly stated that MCI was
the default carrier.

I'm not sure whether the name and logo for WESTERN#BELL was meant to
be deceptive, or if it was an inside joke.  Probably some of both.

Michael

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (12/03/90)

In article <14977@accuvax.nwu.edu>, DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu
(Douglas Scott Reuben) writes:

> US West (at least the ex-Pacific Northwest Bell BOC) USED to use it,
> until maybe about January, 1990. I have a Bend, Oregon directory from
> 1989, and it has the logo, but the newer 1990-1991 book does not. If I
> remember correctly, there was a small passage in the newer book
> stating that PNB was changing its name to "US West", or something to
> that effect.

My latest bill from US West has the old Bell logo on it.  I guess they
still like to be identified as a "real" phone company.  It is also on
the Seattle 1990/91 directory covers.

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544        Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

bapat@uunet.uu.net (Subodh Bapat) (12/04/90)

Talking about the Bell logo, is there any truth to the rumor that,
once long ago, AT&T lost its right to use the Bell logo, as the
copyright expired and they forgot to renew it? The story I heard was
that they had to pay a lot of money to get it back from some smart
entrepreneur who, in the meantime, sneaked in and got the copyright
for himself.

Anyone have any facts to substantiate/dispel this rumor?

Subodh Bapat              bapat@rm1.uu.net     OR           ...uunet!rm1!bapat
MS E-204, PO Box 407044,  Racal-Milgo, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33340  (305) 846-6068

[Moderator's Note: I've never heard that story before. Readers?   PAT]

gs26@prism.gatech.edu (Glenn R. Stone) (12/05/90)

In <15171@accuvax.nwu.edu> mailrus!uflorida!rm1!bapat@uunet.uu.net
(Subodh Bapat) writes:

>Talking about the Bell logo, is there any truth to the rumor that,
>once long ago, AT&T lost its right to use the Bell logo, as the
>copyright expired and they forgot to renew it? The story I heard was
>that they had to pay a lot of money to get it back from some smart
>entrepreneur who, in the meantime, sneaked in and got the copyright
>for himself.                                              ^^^^^^^^^

The use of the word "copyright" itself renders the entire rumor at
least partially bogus ... A logo or word is subject to *trademark*,
not copyright; once either is lost (trademarks are good so long as the
company chooses to enforce it; copyrights have a definite lifetime)
the mark or work is Public Domain and no one can acquire exclusive
rights to it anymore. (Trademarks don't "expire"; they lose their
exclusivity when a company chooses not to enforce them.  Once this
occurs, the company cannot then chose to again start enforcing it,
however.)  Moreover, the "Bell" logo would qualify as a "famous"
trademark (like the Golden Arches of McDonalds or the Checkerboard
Square of Ralston Purina) and the Patents and Trademarks Office would
disallow registry in the first place, even for something totally
unrelated.

So on a purely legal argument, I'd say you've got yourself an urban
legend.

Glenn R. Stone (gs26@prism.gatech.edu)

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (12/05/90)

In article <15171@accuvax.nwu.edu>, mailrus!uflorida!rm1!bapat
(Subodh Bapat) writes:

> Talking about the Bell logo, is there any truth to the rumor that,
> once long ago, AT&T lost its right to use the Bell logo, as the

I have heard this story, but I regarded it as urban legend.  In the
version I heard, somebody in Texas opened an answering service
bureau called 'Blue Bell Answering Service' using the familiar
Bell-in-a-Circle logo.  The story goes on to say that he sold the
rights to his logo to AT&T, and with the proceeds, shut down his
service bureau and retired -- at age 25 or so.

Anybody else heard this one?

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900  		Fax: 908 647 6857

scjones%thor@uunet.uu.net (Larry Jones) (12/06/90)

Doug Reuben asks:

> Anyone know what Cincinnati Bell (not a "real" BOC, and certainly not
> an RBOC) uses? Maybe they borrowed SNET's! (or more likely, SNET
> borrowed Cincinnati Bell's! :-) )

Well, they may not be a "real" BOC (AT&T never owned more than a
minority interest and was not forced to divest it), they are still
using the Bell logo as befits their name.  So no, they didn't lend
their logo to SNET (although they have sold their billing system to a
LOT of other phone companies!).

jmm@uunet.uu.net (John Macdonald) (12/06/90)

(Subodh Bapat) writes:

|Talking about the Bell logo, is there any truth to the rumor that,
|once long ago, AT&T lost its right to use the Bell logo, as the
|copyright expired and they forgot to renew it? The story I heard was
|that they had to pay a lot of money to get it back from some smart
|entrepreneur who, in the meantime, sneaked in and got the copyright
|for himself.

|Anyone have any facts to substantiate/dispel this rumor?

I don't know about the Bell Logo, but before it gets dismissed as an
urban legend, I can cite a somewhat similar case that definitely did
happen.

In the late 1970's (and possibly still today) there was some
difference about registering copyrights in the province of British
Columbia compared to the rest of Canada.  There was at least one person
in BC who made use of this fact to pre-register trademarks of
companies that seemed likely to eventually want to start operating in
BC.

For that reason, at that time, Perkin-Elmer Data Systems used a
different company name within BC than they used in the rest of Canada
and the USA.  This was just after they changed their name from being
Interdata (and there was a different operating name for Interdata in
BC too).

John Macdonald   jmm@eci386

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (12/07/90)

Before the former Bell System adopted the stylized bell logo that
Bellcore and some operating companies still use, AT&T and its
associated companies used a more natural-looking bell-in-a-circle. You
may notice this on some older manhole covers.

Bell Canada used the older bell-in-a-circle logo for a long time (with
the accompanying text "local and long distance service", I believe).
It never adopted the stylized bell of the former Bell System. Rather,
it replaced its old logo with a wordmark, the word "Bell" in a bold
sans-serif face, normally reproduced in blue.

A year or two after divesture, I was shopping in one of the grungier
areas of Toronto, where merchants use the cheapest possible shopping
bags, which often are ones bearing the name of a store that went out
of business (and so the store's liquidators sold the bags for
relatively little). One of the plastic bags bore the American variant
of the Bell logo and the name "Bell Phone Center", or whatever the
storefront outlets of the Bell System were called divesture. I assume
the bags were sold for very little (and made their way to Toronto)
after AT&T was forced to stop using the Bell logo and replaced it with
its present "Death Star".

Bell Canada's parent company, BCE Inc. (formerly Bell Canada
Enterprises) uses a stylized BCE in brown, to avoid any confusion with
Bell Canada.

Bell Canada and its affiliates avoid using the word "Bell" as part of
the name of their U.S. operations. Bell-Northern Research is the
research arm of Northern Telecom (with a minority shareholding by Bell
Canada); the company's U.S. subsidiary is simply BNR Inc. Similarly,
Bell Canada International's U.S. unit is just BCI Inc. (although I
think some BCI installation activities may have been transferred to a
company called Protocol, which may or may not be a Bell Canada
affiliate set up a few years ago to franchise telephone answering
services).

Nigel Allen       ndallen@contact.uucp
52 Manchester Avenue     telephone (416) 535-8916;  fax (416) 978-7736
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6G 1V3

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (12/12/90)

In article <15200@accuvax.nwu.edu> dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave
Levenson) writes:

>In article <15171@accuvax.nwu.edu>, mailrus!uflorida!rm1!bapat
>(Subodh Bapat) writes:

>> Talking about the Bell logo, is there any truth to the rumor that,
>> once long ago, AT&T lost its right to use the Bell logo, as the

>I have heard this story, but I regarded it as urban legend.  In the
>version I heard, somebody in Texas opened an answering service
>bureau called 'Blue Bell Answering Service' using the familiar
>Bell-in-a-Circle logo.  The story goes on to say that he sold the
>rights to his logo to AT&T, and with the proceeds, shut down his
>service bureau and retired -- at age 25 or so.

>Anybody else heard this one?

	All I can add to this is that the twenty-five year old Texan
must have had lotsa cash and savvy to go to Bass & Yeager on Sunset
Boulevard, Hollywood and pay them several thousand - possibly a G or
so to do him a logo.

	Bass & Yeager do corporate logos (Exxon, AT&T Death star etc)
and movie titles. So the old Bell bought a logo from a Texas kid
rather than a company that makes 'em to order? As far as I know, Bass
& Yeager did the Bell in a circle logo. I am not sure who did the old
black silouette "Bell System" logo. That is my favourite.

	Maybe we should have a telecom archive of "telco urban
legends". We could include the psychic dog that knew when the phone
was ringing.  The lifetime credit-card number that Paul Newman was
tired of having.  And the one the telcos perpetuated, how you can
"Damage the network with foreign equipment".

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@N6YN (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495