[comp.dcom.telecom] Auto-Call Back

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (12/10/90)

	I'm not sure I have the right name, but I'm referring to the
(new?)  service whereby if somebody calls you and you don't get to the
phone before it stops ringing, you can just press some code to
automatically generate a call back to the person who called you.  My
question is, does the system filter out any numbers?  If somebody from
Europe called me, will it dial back an international call for me?
What if some slimey 900-type called me?  Neither of the above
scenarios would be appreciated.

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (12/14/90)

In article <15395@accuvax.nwu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy
Smith) writes:

> 	I'm not sure I have the right name, but I'm referring to the
> (new?)  service whereby if somebody calls you ...
> automatically generate a call back to the person who called you.  My
> question is, does the system filter out any numbers?  If somebody from
> Europe called me, will it dial back an international call for me?

For today, the calling number is available for automatic call-back (I
think they call the service Return*Call here in NJ) only on intra-LATA
calls between SS7-connected central offices.  This limits your
liability to the maximum rate for a call within your LATA.  900
numbers only allow inbound calls -- if they called you, then the
calling number is not their 900 number but some other number (which
may or may not be equipped to receive incoming calls).

In the far future, when SS7 connectivity includes the inter-LATA
carriers, you'll probably be able to Return*Call places more distant.
The best defense, probably, is Caller*ID.  It will show you the number
you're about to call with Return*Call, if the last call you received
was from a properly-connected CO.  If the number was not available for
display, it probably won't be available for Return*Call, either.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900 	Fax: 908 647 6857