[comp.dcom.telecom] Stupid AT&T Advertisements

NETWRK@harvarda.bitnet (Steve Thornton) (12/07/90)

I specifically changed service *from* AT&T because of their stupid,
insulting ads. I also change the channel whenever they come on. I
don't know exactly what it is about them, but I have a strong visceral
reaction against them.

Steve

david@mcnc.org (David Link - Lenoir-Rhyne College) (12/10/90)

> I specifically changed service *from* AT&T because of their stupid,
> insulting ads. I also change the channel whenever they come on. I
> don't know exactly what it is about them, but I have a strong visceral
> reaction against them.

AMEN.  I don't like the AT&T ads.  One would think they have something
better to do.  I asked AT&T to put it in writing and they did not!
They said they would, but never did.  I asked SPRINT to put it in
writing and they gave me a list of the rates the next week.  I have
NEVER gotten a call from ANY other telephone company asking be to
switch.  I have AT&T and like the service, but HATE their ads.  I am
thinking about switching to another company in hopes AT&T will stop
the ads.

David J. Link                 UUCP: lrc!david@mcnc.org
Lenoir-Rhyne College          I make no claims.
Hickory, NC  28603 (USA)

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/11/90)

Steve Thornton <NETWRK@harvarda.bitnet> writes:

> I specifically changed service *from* AT&T because of their stupid,
> insulting ads.

I agree that some of AT&T's advertisements (as well as many others,
including other LD companies) are stupid and somewhat insulting. But
never lose sight of the purpose of advertising: the sale of products.
AT&T's agency could probably produce much evidence that these
commercials are effective in increasing count and volume for its
client.

If you allow your emotions over advertisements to override your
logical and practical decision-making process, you may deprive
yourself of real benefits. As a person who is perhaps closer than most
to the world of advertising, I would exhort all and sundry to never
allow commercial messages to be the basis for any action concerning
contracting or purchasing. This goes for both commercials you may
enjoy and those you hate.

> I also change the channel whenever they come on. I
> don't know exactly what it is about them, but I have a strong visceral
> reaction against them.

I can accept that. But you don't really believe that your reaction to
these spots make AT&T's service bad and wrong do you?

Also it is discovered in a good many cases that people hold prejudices
for or against a particular company's goods or services. When they see
advertisements for those goods or services, the reaction that ensues
becomes justification for those preconceived notions.

Someone please tell me that readers of the Digest base purchasing
decisions on price, service, quality, suitability for intended use,
and value and not on what some ad agency produces to brainwash the
public.  Someone please tell me that.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (12/12/90)

In article <15367@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>
writes:

>Steve Thornton <NETWRK@harvarda.bitnet> writes:

>> I specifically changed service *from* AT&T because of their stupid,
>> insulting ads.

>I agree that some of AT&T's advertisements (as well as many others,
>including other LD companies) are stupid and somewhat insulting.

>I can accept that. But you don't really believe that your reaction to
>these spots make AT&T's service bad and wrong do you?

>Also it is discovered in a good many cases that people hold prejudices
>for or against a particular company's goods or services. When they see
>advertisements for those goods or services, the reaction that ensues
>becomes justification for those preconceived notions.

>Someone please tell me that readers of the Digest base purchasing
>decisions on price, service, quality, suitability for intended use,
>and value and not on what some ad agency produces to brainwash the

How about this: In the minds of many people, AT&T provides service
which is essentially equivalent to MCI and/or Sprint. AT&T costs more
than either.  AT&T has to resort to insulting advertising to woo
customers. Perhaps it's little things like this which "break the
camel's back," and provide just enough weight on AT&T's
"disadvantages" column to cause people to switch to another LD
carrier.

As you point out, it would be stupid to base a purchasing decision
solely upon the advertising. However, I strongly suspect that nobody
intelligent enough to subscribe to this digest would ever do such a
thing! ;-)

Scott Coleman                tmkk@uiuc.edu

tony@oha.uucp (Tony Olekshy) (12/15/90)

In message <15367@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

> Steve Thornton <NETWRK@harvarda.bitnet> writes:

> > I specifically changed service *from* AT&T because of their stupid,
> > insulting ads.

> I agree that some of AT&T's advertisements (as well as many others,
> including other LD companies) are stupid and somewhat insulting. But
> never lose sight of the purpose of advertising: the sale of products.

John then goes on to write a set of items I agree with.

Now, on to advertising.  I used to complain about it, until a friend
with a graphics arts and literature background asked me why I didn't
"study" it, instead.  After all, this would give me something to do
while waiting for the commercials to end.  With a little help, I was
on my way.

The AT&T advertisement campaign of the last two or three years has, as
you know, consisted of a series of phased advertisements on particular
themes.  When the campaign summary spot came out a few months ago, and
I saw it for the first time, I was awestruck by the technique: slowly
builing a public image, responding to market shifts and competitor's
counter-attacks, challenging competitor's counter-claims, and then
pulling it all together.

You (the reader of this group) know way to much to be softsoaped by
these ads, but their *purpose* is *not* to sell more telephony to
comp.dcom.telecom readers.  I doubt that any other LD ad campaign is
as familiar to the average USA consumer.

The ad campaign, is, IMHO, a candidate for an advertising award.

Disclaimer: I tend to watch only PBS and CNN from the USA, except for
	    Letterman, of course.  This posting is an amateur's opinion.

Yours etc,

Tony Olekshy       Internet: tony%oha@CS.UAlberta.CA
		  BITNET: tony%oha.uucp@UALTAMTS.BITNET
		       uucp: alberta!oha!tony