[comp.dcom.telecom] Playing Songs on Tone Telephones

jkw@kodak.com (Jerry K. Wagner Internet: jkw@kodak.com) (12/14/90)

In V10 #880, Paul Schleck writes:

>I'm sure we all remember from our elementary school "playing with the
>phone" dialing "Mary had a Little Lamb" i.e. 321-2333.  In some area
>codes, it's a valid number, in others it connects to dead air.  In yet
>others, you get a busy signal or a "not in service" intercept.  Hmmm...

>Just curious (yeah, I know what you're thinking, GET A LIFE....).  I
>guess my parents ignored me when I was young causing me to seek solace in
>the telcom equipment within my reach.....:)

Does anyone remember {The Pushbutton Telephone Songbook}?  This was
published by Price/Stern/Sloan (Los Angeles), copyright 1972, ISBN:
0-8431-0258-6. I bought my copy about 1981 after my roommate made me
aware of it.  I don't know if it's still in print and whether they
would be more in demand now that more people have "pushbutton"
(shouldn't that be tone?)  phones or if fewer people would play songs
on them now that the novelty has worn off.  The book contains about 36
songs, and, of course, says "to play pushbutton phone songs properly,
always call up a nearby friend and tap out your songs to him or her."
It warns, "If you just pick up the receiver and immediately begin
tapping out Strangers In The Night, you might find yourself connected
to someone in Nome, Alaska."  This I doubt, since the first "notes"
are 4-8-8.

Jerry Wagner
(716)722-9532, Fax: (716)477-0127
Internet:  jkw@kodak.com

floyd@ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) (12/15/90)

In article <15405@accuvax.nwu.edu> jkw@kodak.com writes:

>In V10 #880, Paul Schleck writes:

>>I'm sure we all remember from our elementary school "playing with the
>>phone" dialing "Mary had a Little Lamb" i.e. 321-2333.  In some area
>>codes, it's a valid number, in others it connects to dead air.  In yet
>>others, you get a busy signal or a "not in service" intercept.  Hmmm...

>It warns, "If you just pick up the receiver and immediately begin
>tapping out Strangers In The Night, you might find yourself connected
>to someone in Nome, Alaska."  This I doubt, since the first "notes"
>are 4-8-8.

Well that isn't that far off.  488-nnnn might get you...  North Pole!
For Nome try a 443-nnnn number.  (The area code is 907.)

I don't mean to be commercial about it (heh heh) but if a few thousand
call records show on account of this I may ask for a raise.

Floyd
(Fairbanks Toll Center, Alascom, Inc.)

Floyd L. Davidson                             floyd@hayes.ims.alaska.edu
Salcha, AK 99714                    paycheck connection to Alascom, Inc.
 When I speak for them, one of us will be *out* of business in a hurry.