[comp.dcom.telecom] What are 700 and 555 Numbers?

hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Peter Anvin) (12/03/90)

Could anyone please explain what that mystical area code 700 is, and
what is so special with the exchange number 555?

I know 555-1212 is the information number, but there must be something
else that is special with it, or no?  Is there a reason for it being
used as a "foo" for phone numbers (no one takes number 555-1234
seriously, no?)

Finally, does the customer pay for calls to area code 700?

[Moderator's Note: 555-1212 was simply adopted as a universal number
for directory assistance, and to the best of my knowledge very little
else has been assigned on 555. I think one AT&T business office uses
something like 555-8111, but that is about all.  Other examples?

Whether or not you are charged for calls to 700 numbers depends on
what carriers and services are involved. 700 is sort of like 900, with
various services and offerings on a carrier by carrier basis. Unlike
900 numbers which are either national or local/statewide, 700 numbers
are by carrier, meaning an AT&T customer usually cannot directly
access the services of other carriers on 700 numbers, etc. Telecom*USA
has their Voice News Network there for *their* customers; AT&T has
their Alliance Teleconferencing Service there as we discussed a couple
issues ago. Does anyone have a complete (more or less) list of
everything in the 700 range, listed by carrier? If so, please send it
along.  PAT]

scb@cs.brown.edu (Spyros C. Bartsocas) (12/04/90)

Our Moderator notes:

>[Moderator's Note: 555-1212 was simply adopted as a universal number
>for directory assistance, and to the best of my knowledge very little
>else has been assigned on 555. I think one AT&T business office uses
>something like 555-8111, but that is about all.  Other examples?

NET uses the 555-1611 and 555-1515 (actually 1-555-1611 and 1-555-1515)
for repair service as follows:

Residence    1-555-1611
Business     1-555-1515
Public (coin)1-555-1611

555-1611 is the same as 611 in other places.

Also from the telephone directory 1-555-1717 is the "Public Service
Center", where "business customers who have or would like to apply for
public or semi-public coin telephone service", should call.

"There is no charge for these calls".

Spyros Bartsocas
scb@cs.brown.edu

tel@cdsdb1.att.com (12/05/90)

AT&T uses 700 numbers for their ISDN service.  Apparently, if you get
a PRI ISDN line from AT&T for switched data (64 or 384 Kbit), you can
get one or more 700 numbers assigned.  I doubt you can call these 700
numbers from a regular phone, but I have never tried it.  Next time I
get a look at the patch panel in one of the labs, I will try calling
and see what I get.

When we were trying some data calls, we had to "dial" the 700 number
to place the call.  When I say dial, I mean the dial string that goes
over then D channel has the 700 number as the destination.

That's all I really know right now.  I will soon be learning more
about this stuff!  I'll pass on anything that I learn.

Tom Lowe       AT&T      tel@hound.ATT.COM

clements@bbn.com (12/05/90)

The Moderator asks:

>Moderator's Note: 555-1212 was simply adopted as a universal number
>for directory assistance, and to the best of my knowledge very little
>else has been assigned on 555. I think one AT&T business office uses
>something like 555-8111, but that is about all.  Other examples?

 From the New England Tel (Boston suburbs) phone book:

    Repair service
	Residence:  1-555-1611
	Business:   1-555-1515
	Public(coin)1-555-1611

    and

	If you are a business customer who has or would like to
	apply for public or semi-public coin telephone service,
	call the Public Service Center at no charge, 1-555-1717.

Bob Clements, K1BC, clements@bbn.com

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (12/05/90)

>From: Peter Anvin <hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>

>[Moderator's Note: 555-1212 was simply adopted as a universal number...
>I think one AT&T business office uses
>something like 555-8111, but that is about all.  Other examples?

This varies by local telco.  We have repair service on 1-555-1611 for
residence and coin and 1-555-1515 for business; the "Public Service
Center" (for dealing with public and semi-public coin phones -- not
COCOTS I think) is at 1-555-1717.  I don't know how out of area 555 is
handled; 700-555 is a per carrier option, except that +700-555-4141
seems to have become the standard "carrier ID" number.

>... 700 numbers
>are by carrier, meaning an AT&T customer usually cannot directly
>access the services of other carriers on 700 numbers, etc.

Not strictly correct; an AT&T customer may access other carriers' 700
services by prefixing the appropriate 10XXX prefix, just as customers
of other carriers may access the AT&T services by using 10288.  (And
obviously this only applies to locations with equal access and service
available from the desired carrier.)

JBL

nets: levin@bbn.com    |    BBN Communications
  or: ...!bbn!levin    |    M/S  20/7A
POTS: +1 617 873 3463  |    150 Cambridge Park Drive
  or: +1 603 880 1611  |    Cambridge, MA  02140

hansen@pegasus.att.com (Tony L Hansen) (12/06/90)

< [Moderator's Note: 555-1212 was simply adopted as a universal number
< for directory assistance, and to the best of my knowledge very little
< else has been assigned on 555. I think one AT&T business office uses
< something like 555-8111, but that is about all.  Other examples?

I've been told that whenever the film studios out in Hollywood want a
phone number for use in a movie, TV show or commercial, they go
through a special liason office with the phone company. (I think AT&T
used to run this, but it's probably done through BellCore now.) The
numbers which the studio receives are always 555-****, taken from a
special pool set aside for this purpose. I think that the liason
office even tries to recycle the number slowly enough so that they
won't seem to be the same too often. The next time that you see a
phone number given in a commercial or movie, it will almost certainly
be a 555 number.

Tony Hansen
att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony
hansen@pegasus.att.com

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Douglas Scott Reuben) (12/06/90)

Hi-

re: 555-1212 and what other services "555" goes to other than Directory
Assistance:

In New England Tel territory, 1-555-6611 (or is it -1611?) gets repair
service.  I've tried "611", which is more standard, and it doesn't
work.

800-555-5000 was the old Bell System "Let's Talk" number, which was
basically an information service set up just before divestiture so
that people wouldn't get "scared" about the breakup, etc. (Although in
retrospect maybe they should have! :) ). Now it seems to go to the
local Bell that is serving you, ie, in New York it goes to NY Tel, and
in CT it goes to SNET, or just dies at their recording, etc. This
seems to change from time to time, or rather, from place to place. I
California (San Jose) I gave it a try last summer, and got the AT&T
Phonecenter Info line, but I tried it a few months later and got
Pac*Bell. Maybe it just cut over in the interim?

Some other Bells have 1-555-xxxx for coin-telephone repair, etc. I
think Pacific Northwest Bell had something like this (now USWEST),
although I can't be sure about this either. A good place to look is on
the instruction card at a Bell payphone, or in the front of the White
Pages.

Note that 1-617-555-6611 will get you NE Tel repair if you dial it
Long Distance. I always thought that 1-Area Code-555-xxxx will ALWAYS
get DA, but I guess not.

Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet
(and just plain old "dreuben" to locals...!! :-)   )

[Moderator's Note: 555-anything here cuts to DA. At least I have not
seen any exceptions.  PAT]

yarvin-norman@cs.yale.edu (Norman Yarvin) (12/07/90)

555 numbers are also used in movies, in scenes where a phone number is
spoken.  The assumption is that 555 numbers will either be unassigned
or will be assigned to a telephone company number (such as directory
assistance) which can handle large amounts of calls.

[Moderator's Note: None of this would be needed of course if it were
not for the nuts who go to the movies then try to actually call one of
the numbers to 'see who they get' when they dial.  PAT]

SABAHE@macalstr.edu (Arun Baheti) (12/09/90)

I'm glad that they at least use 555- numbers now.  I remember about
ten years ago when a muscial group (the B-52s?) did a song about
someone's phone number.  All over the country, the poor owners of
xxx-xxxx were driven batty by fans just trying out the number to see
if anything would happen.  I'm not sure how they phone company (at
that time it was just Ma Bell) dealt with it.

ab

goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (12/11/90)

In article <15341@accuvax.nwu.edu>, SABAHE@macalstr.edu (Arun Baheti)
writes:

> I remember about ten years ago when a muscial group (the B-52s?) did
> a song about someone's phone number.  All over the country, the poor
> owners of xxx-xxxx were driven batty by fans just trying out the
> number to see if anything would happen.

Ah, yes, the song "Jenny" by Tommy Two-tone (sp?).  The refrain was
Jenny's number as listed on a bathroom wall: "eight six seven five
three oh nine".  No, *don't* go ahead and call it :-).

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
62 Alexander Drive			...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA

news@accuvax.nwu.edu (USENET News System) (12/16/90)

I have seen several things done with 700 numbers.  My understanding is
that, unlike all other phone numbers in the US/Canada system, 700
numbers are not unique.  That is, when you dial 1-700-xxx-xxxx, what
you get (if anything) depends on your long distance carrier as well as
on the number itself; different carriers can use the same 700 number
for different things.

The original 700 number, of course, was 700 555-4141, which is free
and gets you a recording telling you what LD carrier you are on.  If
you get any other 700 numbers, check them out with your LD company
before using them.  Not all of them are free on all carriers.

74066.2004@compuserve.com (Larry Rachman) (12/16/90)

A few earlier entries in telecom have speculated on why 555-1212 is
often used as the equivalent of 'foo'.

Well, back when I was a kid, all the Bell System (!) ads that showed a
phone showed the phone number:

                       311-555-2368

I remember a pre-DDD advertisement that just showed the NNX, and
someone told me about an *old* phone book that gave as an example:

              "...ask the operator for MAIN 2368"

At the ripe old age of 12 or so, a friend and I spent hours in his
photo darkroom, creating the perfect

                     --------------------------
                    |   AREA CODE              |
                    |      311        555-2368 |
                     --------------------------

dial cards for our phones. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Larry Rachman
74066.2004@compuserve.com

[Moderator's Note: '2368' with variations was always the number used
for example purposes in advertising, along with 'area code 311'. There
were a few ads which also made use of QUincy as an exchange. You know
how far people got calling that!  I think one of the very old ads I
remember had Mr. Jones at QUincy 2368 trying to make a long distance
call to Mr. Smith at ZEigfield 8632. It explained how he would go
about doing it, and what to tell the operator.  PAT]

poulin@acsu.buffalo.edu (Marc C. Poulin) (12/17/90)

writes:

|I'm glad that they at least use 555- numbers now.  I remember about
|ten years ago when a muscial group (the B-52s?) did a song about
|someone's phone number.  All over the country, the poor owners of
|xxx-xxxx were driven batty by fans just trying out the number to see
|if anything would happen.  I'm not sure how the phone company (at
|that time it was just Ma Bell) dealt with it.

Actually, the B-52's song in question is "6060-842", which is from
their first, self-titled album, which came out in 1979.  Back then, I
don't believe there were any valid seven-digit numbers of the form
N0N-XXXX.

Marc      poulin@{acsu.buffalo.edu|softvax.radc.af.mil}

juggler@hale.UUCP (The Juggler) (12/18/90)

> |I'm glad that they at least use 555- numbers now.  I remember about
> |ten years ago when a muscial group (the B-52s?) did a song about
> |someone's phone number.  All over the country, the poor owners of
> |xxx-xxxx were driven batty by fans just trying out the number to see
> |if anything would happen.  I'm not sure how the phone company (at
> |that time it was just Ma Bell) dealt with it.

> Actually, the B-52's song in question is "6060-842", which is from
> their first, self-titled album, which came out in 1979.  Back then, I
> don't believe there were any valid seven-digit numbers of the form
> N0N-XXXX.

I remember another "phone" song by an artist I have forgotten the name
of. I believe the title of the song was "Jenny", and they kept
repeating her supposed phone number, which was 867-5309. This was from
the early 80's ...

[Moderator's Note: One example which has stuck in my mind since this
thread began was the use of BOWery 9-1000. A 'crime on the waterfront'
type movie from the 1940's (title long forgotten -- anyone remember
it?) has a closing scene in which we see a dimly lit, very cluttered
office in the wee hours of the morning. The area is deserted, and a
phone on the desk is ringing incessantly. After it has rung perhaps a
dozen times, from a distance we see the back of a man as he shuffles
down the hall and goes up to the phone to answer it.  He mumbles into
the phone, "Bowery nine one thousand". An indignant woman is on the
other end and her shrill voice demands, "Is Mr. Johnson there?". The
man replies, "Yes, Mr. Johnson is here."  (woman) "Put him on the
phone this minute! That no-good husband of mine!"  (man) "I'm sorry
madame, he can't speak to you on the phone."  (woman) "What! Did you
hear me?" ... then suspicious, she demands, "Say! What tavern is this
I have reached? You send my no-good husband home right now! I don't
want to come there and get him myself!!!"  (man) "This is not a
tavern, madame."  (woman) "What? What number is this?"  (man) "Boweryp
nine one thousand. You're connected with the city morgue. Your husband
is dead, madame; you'll have to come and get him, I'm afraid."  PAT]

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (12/18/90)

In 1979, the only possible N0N-XXXX phone numbers would be in area 213
(now 213/818, with 310 on the way).

But back around 1962, there was a song BEechwood 4-5789, which turns
up occasionally on oldies programs.

[Moderator's Note: Back in the 1950's here, there was a rather famous
bordello which specialized in servicing wealthy and influential
citizens from out of town. Their number was HAymarket 1 - 5111. Around
election time one year the cops raided the joint and shut it down for
good. The phone was disconnected, but it remained in the little black
books of unsuspecting out-of-towners for *years* afterward. IBT was
unable to assign the number for ten years without having the new
subscribers complain about wrong numbers and frequently lewd long
distance calls.  PAT]