[comp.dcom.telecom] Bang, Zoom!

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (12/19/90)

In article <15465@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Arora@uh.edu writes:

> [Moderator's Note: Sorry folks, I just couldn't resist printing this
> you? This guy is gonna get a lot of calls, for sure!   PAT]

Tonight's broadcast of "All Things Considered" (on National Public
Radio, as heard from WNYC, New York) included a story about the folks
in Texas who are using a 900 number to raffle off a trip to Space
Station Mir with some comrades from the Russian space program.

According to the story, the Russian Space Agency has never heard of
these guys, and claims to know nothing about their 'prize' being
available to them to raffle off.

> [Moderator's Note: For the first time in a long time, I'm actually
> tempted to call a 900 number. Either this is a fantastic scam or there
> is a glorious day ahead for some lucky person.   PAT]

Pat: Do let us know what you find ... but be warned -- ATC seemed to
be implying that this may be a scam.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

[Moderator's Note: Indeed, a scam is what it appears to be. Read the