[comp.dcom.telecom] 900 Number Sweepstakes

olling@trc.jnoc.go.jp (Cliff Olling) (12/19/90)

In article <15465@accuvax.nwu.edu> Arora@uh.edu writes:

>    The company has a contract with the Soviet space bureau to put an
>American aboard a Soyuz space capsule with two cosmonauts and fly him
>or her to Mir, the [Soviet] space station...

Hmm, I believe it was just a week or two ago that Tokyo Broadcasting
System Corporation did just that for one of their journalists.  They
reportedly paid between $12-15 million to get him up to Mir for eight
days.  They showed lots of real-time video from the space station (at
least I think it was real-time).  For example, I saw the docking of
the journalist's Soyuz with the space station live after dinner one
evening.  Funny how the other networks in Tokyo never mentioned a peep
about any of this :-).

So at $3 per call, Space Travel Services will break even after they
receive about five *million* calls :-) :-).  I'd say this means "keep
dreaming".

Clifford Olling  Japan National Oil Corporation    $@@PL}8xCD(J
Technology Research Center  $@@PL}3+H/5;=Q(J  Chiba City, Japan
olling@jnoc.go.jp    $@KkD%K\6?1X(J   24hrs/day=>81+472-73-5831