[comp.dcom.telecom] NCR and AT&T: An NCR Employee's Perspective

wescott@ncrcae.uucp (12/14/90)

In article <15396@accuvax.nwu.edu> Ed Hopper writes:

> I am part of AT&T's Computer Systems Division.

I am part of NCR's Multi User Products Division.

> I should point out that the memoranda distributed on the subject and the
> external statements go out of their way to provide assurances to NCR
> employees of continued employment.

Common consensus around here is that those promises are good for about
a year after takeover. But I figure that once a year has gone by those
assurances will succumb to more and more overt meddling.

> No such assurances are offered to
> the AT&T employees, in fact, several statements presume fairly massive
> upheaval in the AT&T ranks.  Certainly NCR employees are upset.  I would
> be too, if the situation were reversed.

All things considered, I'd rather be here at NCR than at AT&T's
Computer Systems Division.

> I don't think the situation was a disaster nor will
> it be one if the merger is consumated.

Possibly not.  It depends on how much disruption this causes. There
are definite market windows in this business which are catastrophic to
miss.  The transition period could be uncertain enough to delay
development and product releases until they miss the window.

> My own prediction is that the deal will be done before the end of
> December for a price in the range of $100 to $110 a share.

Rats...

I was hoping to get a little more than that for my few shares of stock.

Mike Wescott
mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

kthompso@entec.wichita.ncr.com (Ken Thompson) (12/21/90)

Hmmm  NCR & ATT?

Need a name.. hmmm...

C ash
R egisters
A nd
P hones !

If I wanted to work for the ding-a-lings, .....

Ken Thompson     N0ITL
NCR Corp.  3718 N. Rock Road
Wichita,Ks. 67226  (316)636-8783
Ken.Thompson@wichita.ncr.com