[comp.dcom.telecom] Information Needed on AT&T Select Saver Plan

veeneman@mot.com (Dan Veeneman) (12/18/90)

Netters,

     Recently I received in the mail a "Request for Change in Billing"
from AT&T (my default LD carrier), and would like to get the opinion
of the readers of TELECOM Digest.  The letter begins:

"A review of your AT&T account indicates that you could save money by
choosing an alternate AT&T billing plan.  This package includes your
opportunity to do so.

Your present AT&T Long Distance accounts shows that you are currently
being charged standard prices for your out-of-state, direct-dialied
AT&T Long Distance calls, and that you frequently make calls to area
code (301) in Maryland.

We recommend that you consider the AT&T Select Saver(TM) Plan.

For just $1.90 per month, this plan will provide with low per minute
rates each and every time you call anywhere in the (301) area code.
24 hours a day.  7 days a week."

     The letter goes on to explain the 12 cents/minute rate effective
M-F 5pm to 8am and weekends, and 20 cents/minute rate M-F 8am to 5pm.

They'll also throw in a 5% discount on all LD calls to other area codes.

There is an 800 number for me to call to sign-up, and if I order now,
they'll waive the normal $5 sign-up fee.  Gee !

My questions are:

1.  If I sign up for this, am I making it easier for AT&T in the
    future to get a different (and more expensive) LD rate
    structure approved ?

2.  If not, why is AT&T so wont to help me save money ?

3.  When 301 splits, my calls may go to both 301 and 410.  How will
    this effect the rates ?

4.  More generally, what can I expect as far as rate increases under
    this plan ?

I have two lines coming in to my house, a main line and another line I
use for intra-LATA data calls (i.e. no LD, but AT&T is listed as the
default carrier).  This letter lists my home number as the data line
number, *not* the line on which I make (301) calls.

Dan    veeneman@mot.com

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (12/20/90)

My understanding is that long-distance rates are not changed by an
area-code split (but that is based on my reading the {Washington Post}
1973 article -- now long ago -- about the 703/804 split in Virginia).
I am still assuming that recent splits would be taken into account,
say, for the upcoming Maryland split; and I have read in this Digest a
while back that there was some sort of charge waiver for directory
assistance calls between two area codes (one of which areas just
having been formed by splitting the other).

You might also consider where in Maryland you are calling.

[Moderator's Note: In Chicago, the 312/708 split had no affect on
billing whatsoever. Local calls remained local.  PAT]

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (12/21/90)

To respond to Moderator's Note:

I was not talking about local calls.  Yes, local calls are NOT
affected by an area code split -- except that some of them may have to
be dialed differently.  (That toll free number regarding 301/410 split
said that local calls across 301/410 boundary will require ten digits,
as is the case with local calls to DC and Virginia suburbs of DC.)

gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (12/23/90)

In article <15486@accuvax.nwu.edu> Dan writes:

>     Recently I received in the mail a "Request for Change in Billing"
>from AT&T (my default LD carrier), and would like to get the opinion
>of the readers of TELECOM Digest.  The letter begins:

What I think is interesting is what happens if you DON'T select this
calling plan. Here's one that borders on being as bad as slamming"...

On the outside of the envelope:

	"Decsision requested concerning your long distance account.

	 Second Notice-
	 Please read and respond promptly."

Inside the envelope is the same stuff as the last time, with no
opportunity to *respond* "NO" to the mailing.  I know some sleezy
credit card protection companies who do the same thing.

The really bad thing about this is the way they determined the area
code of choice in this case.  Two isolated calls were made to
California one month to place an order for some electronic parts.  In
general, no calls are made outside the area code.

Lastly, the calling plans AT&T is now providing are so confusing to
the consumer, it is now truly difficult to decide WHICH plan to get,
and what savings you will really obtain from that plan.

It took me nearly four months to get my AT&T long distance service moved
properly from NY to Texas, and a friend of mine had the same problems
three months after my move.  AT&T will not put your account "in writing",
making it impossible to track the various credits being applied to your
bill when various calling plans are "turned back on."

I'm not saying that any of the other LD companies aren't doing this
too -- I'm sure they are.  However, if AT&T really wants to keep my
business, and claim to provide better service, then I'd like to see
them concentrate on "providing me with excellent service" and leave
the sleezy solicitations out of it.

[Moderator's Note: For reasons unknown to anyone, Illinois Bell
recently dumped me from AT&T's Reach Out America program. It took me
two months to merely get it back on again. AT&T kept saying they were
telling IBT about it; IBT kept saying they were not, etc. Meanwhile, I
got the very same form letters you mention.   PAT]