[comp.dcom.telecom] Detecting Answer Before First Ring

kevinc@uunet.uu.net (Kevin Collins) (12/23/90)

On 17 Dec 90 at 9:44:56 PST in message <15464@accuvax.nwu.edu>,
tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:

[talking about a box that would accept digits to dial over an incoming
line and dial those digits over an outgoing line.]

> I heard that after awhile the box was modified to listen for ringback
> and busy tone, and stayed on the line long enough to determine whether
> or not to bill.  This must have been a little tricky, because what
> does it do if the called party answers before the first ring?

For a universal two-wire analog trunk, one way to detect that type of
"early answer" is to start a timer after the digits have been sent on
the outgoing trunk and stop that timer when you get the first
recognizable tone (ringback, busy, etc.). If the timer expires, then
no tone was detected, so you can assume that the outgoing line was
answered at the far end and answer the near end. What's important here
is choosing the right value for the timer. If the timer's too short,
it may expire before ringback has been detected, and you'll answer
calls that are still ringing. If it's too long, whoever answered at
the far end will get sick of waiting to hear a reply to their repeated
"Hello"s and hang up.

Note that this is all assuming that telco can't/won't supply battery
reversal on answer. For E&M, T1, or ISDN Primary Rate Interface
trunks, the above situation is not an issue since it is easily
detected via the various signalling protocols.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to help anyone provide phone service in
violation of any applicable tariffs/regulations/laws.

Kevin Collins                   |  Aspect Telecommunications
USENET: ...uunet!aspect!kevinc  |  San Jose, CA
Voice:  +1 408 441 2489         |  My opinions are mine alone.