[comp.dcom.telecom] Last Four Digits of Phone is '0000'

CER2520@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Curtis E. Reid) (11/28/90)

I recall many, many issues ago that someone was interested in knowing
if there is a valid phone number ending with all zeros i.e.,
xxx-xxx-0000.

Well, I found one:

	Bloomingdale's		Sales Order line	800-777-0000

I've used it myself.

Curtis E. Reid
CER2520@RITVAX.Bitnet                 (Bitnet)
CER2520@RITVAX.isc.rit.edu            (Internet)

[Moderator's Note: In fact, 312-743-0000 is FX'd to an attorney in
Wilmette, IL. It comes from the same CO as myself, Chicago-Rogers Park.
312-787-0000 is the number '911' translates into here for some police
districts. And in those instances where it is not a valid ending to a
phone number the intercept lady is *so* funny to listen to as she
tells us of our error: "The number you have dialed, NXX oh! OH! OH!!! Oh!
is not a working number." All those 'oh!' noises could be interpreted
in a lewd way by someone with a dirty mind. (Not your Moderator!) :)  PAT

news@accuvax.nwu.edu (USENET News System) (12/07/90)

In article <15077@accuvax.nwu.edu> "Curtis E. Reid" <CER2520@ritvax.
isc.rit.eduwrites:

>I recall many, many issues ago that someone was interested in knowing
>if there is a valid phone number ending with all zeros i.e.,
>xxx-xxx-0000.

Obviously it's not such an uncommon thing to have four 0's at the end
of a phone number.  In addition to the numbers listed in the above
article, across the street from me is Zero's Pizza, with phone number
on their sign, (617) 625-0000.

Is there some particular reason why such numbers are perceived as
being rare?

Nathan Glasser  nathan@{mit-eddie.uucp, brokaw.lcs.mit.edu}
Nate on IRC, Forum, and Bitnet Relay    Pulsar on Abermud

albert@das.harvard.edu (David Albert) (12/10/90)

mailrus!gatech!mit-eddie!nathan writes:

>Obviously it's not such an uncommon thing to have four 0's at the end
>of a phone number....

>Is there some particular reason why such numbers are perceived as
>being rare?

Sure!  Only about one number in 10,000 has four 0's at the end.  That's
pretty rare, isn't it?

David Albert
UUCP: ...!harvard!albert
INTERNET: albert@harvard.edu

Tad.Cook@cs.washington.edu (12/10/90)

In article <15077@accuvax.nwu.edu>, CER2520@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Curtis
E. Reid) writes:

> I recall many, many issues ago that someone was interested in knowing
> if there is a valid phone number ending with all zeros i.e.,
> xxx-xxx-0000.

Well, I found one:

In Seattle, you reach Al-Anon (support groups for family members of
alcoholics) at 206-625-0000.

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544       Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/11/90)

Nathan Glasser <mailrus!gatech!mit-eddie!eddie.mit.edu!nathan> writes:

> Is there some particular reason why such numbers are perceived as
> being rare?

Well, for one thing, there can only be one per prefix :-) But another
thing is that some telcos, including Pnac*Bell, use the 00XX series for
CO test numbers. If you try to get a '0000' assignment, every excuse
in the book will be trotted out to keep from giving it to you.

"This is a special-case number and cannot be assigned."

"This is a test number and you will receive many wrong numbers from
telco personel."

"We are not assigning numbers in the oh-thousands."

"This is part of a DID assignment."

"Blah, Blah, Blah."

The truth of the matter is that if you rattle enough cages, and yank
enough chains, you can get one of these. A local "celebrity" has
always had '0000' assignments for his home number. Someone at Pac*Bell
described the noises he made, all the way to the PUC, before his first
one was issued. In addition, someone I know at Pac*Bell has one at
home.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

lance@uunet.uu.net (Lance Ellinghouse) (12/12/90)

Well I always thought it was kinda strange we have the number we do.
And now with all this talk it is even stranger.

Our number is 'X00-0000'.

Lance Ellinghouse      E-mail: lance@unigold.uucp
lance@unigold.sr.com   hermix!unigold!lance@anes.ucla.edu

david@llustig.palo-alto.ca.us (David Schachter) (12/17/90)

A long time ago (1982), +1 203 226 0000 was a realtor in Westport or
Weston, Connecticut, USA.  They were surprised I thought their number
was "special", even though they had purchased a advertisement on the
spine of the local non-Telco phone directory.

David Schachter

voice phone: +1 415 328 7425
internet:    david@llustig.palo-alto.ca.us
uucp:        ...!{decwrl,mips,sgi}!llustig!david

bapat@uunet.uu.net (Subodh Bapat) (12/19/90)

In <15360@accuvax.nwu.edu> john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>If you try to get a '0000' assignment, every excuse
>in the book will be trotted out to keep from giving it to you.

>"This is a special-case number and cannot be assigned."

>"This is a test number and you will receive many wrong numbers from
>telco personel."

>"We are not assigning numbers in the oh-thousands."

>"This is part of a DID assignment."

It's not just 0000 numbers, they'll make excuses if they don't want to
assign you just any number you ask for. When I added two additional
numbers on my residential line for Southern Bell's distinctive calling
service, I wanted to pick the numbers I added. (Southern Bell's charge
for doing so: $5 to search for up to three numbers, then $20 if you
pick one of them).

Since one of the prefixes available in my area was 305-384, I asked
for 305-384-3763 (my trusty "telefun" program told me that
305-ETHERNET was one of the words I could make up with from the
305-384 prefix!). Of course, to maximize my chances, I had called this
number ahead of time and made sure I got a "not-in-service" intercept.

Much to my chagrin, however, Southern Bell told me I couldn't have
this number because it was "reserved for business use". The same was
true of some of the other numbers I asked for. In fact, the only
numbers that seemed to be available were in the 7000-8000 range.

My question is: how do the LECs decide what range of numbers in each
prefix to reserve for whom? Are there different blocks of numbers in
each prefix pre-reserved for, say, residential, business trunks, DID,
and Centrex (even if such services aren't actually connected)? 305-384
is a new prefix in the rapidly expanding West Broward county area, and
it's not even clear that the demographics have developed enough to the
point of presenting a well-defined customer mix profile.

Can anyone with any LEC background or knowledge shed any light on such
number allocation policies?

Subodh Bapat              bapat@rm1.uu.net     OR           ...uunet!rm1!bapat
MS E-204, PO Box 407044,  Racal-Milgo, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33340  (305) 846-6068

cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu (Fubar's Carbonated Hormones) (12/19/90)

>If you try to get a '0000' assignment, every excuse
>in the book will be trotted out to keep from giving it to you.

Really? I have a relative with a 0000 number... then again, he works
for the phone*company. But he assures me he pays the personalized
number fee and applied for it just like a subscriber.

>It's not just 0000 numbers, they'll make excuses if they don't want to
>assign you just any number you ask for. When I added two additional
>numbers on my residential line for Southern Bell's distinctive calling
>service, I wanted to pick the numbers I added. (Southern Bell's charge
>for doing so: $5 to search for up to three numbers, then $20 if you
>pick one of them).

>Much to my chagrin, however, Southern Bell told me I couldn't have
>this number because it was "reserved for business use". The same was
>true of some of the other numbers I asked for. In fact, the only
>numbers that seemed to be available were in the 7000-8000 range.

When I wanted my current BBS number (805) 54-FUBAR, I called the
number to see if it was available. It was not. I asked the party at
the other end, after explaining that my company is "Fubar Systems", if
they would give up the number, perhaps for a small gift (read: I'll
bribe you with $50 if you let me have your number). No go. So I waited
until it was available.  The first day that it was available, I
*grabbed* it. (Of course, it's off right now because of the inanity of
the phone*entities and their inability to understand that I ordered
call*waiting on the OTHER line (no, not THAT one, the OTHER OTHER line
[we have 4])). But at least I got it. No hassle.

>My question is: how do the LECs decide what range of numbers in each
>prefix to reserve for whom?

I've always been told it's random ... they'll take what they need from
where they have it available ... in Santa Maria, all numbers 97xx and
98xx are pay phones. Trivia.

Christopher(); --- cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu --- chris@erotica.fubarsys.com

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/20/90)

Subodh Bapat <mailrus!uflorida!rm1!bapat@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> It's not just 0000 numbers, they'll make excuses if they don't want to
> assign you just any number you ask for.

Ok, here are the legitimate reasons for refusal to assign numbers:

In mechanical offices (through #5 Crossbar), the following may apply:

1. The number falls in a thousands group that simply isn't equipped.
Mechanical switches assign numbers by physical positions on the
equipment. If the equipment doesn't exist, you can't assign a number
on it. For instance, years ago in West Yellowstone there was one SXS
prefix for the whole town. It had two thousands groups installed, 9000
and 4000. If you wanted a number other than 9XXX or 4XXX, it was sorry
Charlie.

2. The number falls in an anticpated hunting growth area of a large
customer. If XYZ Corporation has been adding many lines per year in
its incoming hunt group and the number you want is right in the middle
of where telco expects it to expand, they will withhold the number
from assignment to others. This only applies to mechanical switches
(don't let them trot this out if you are dealing with an ESS).

3. The number falls within a bank of test numbers reserved for telco
use.

For all switches, reasons for denial include the following:

1. The number falls within a DID group, current or anticipated.

2. The number falls within an exchange that is GENERALLY used for DID
or other large-user specialty use.

3. The number is actually reserved by a business for future use (yes,
large customers can get away with this).

4. The number is in an electronic switch and you have ordered service
that can be provided on a mechanical one (and numbers on the
electronic one are in short supply). Tip: If this is the case, ask for
900/976 blocking. This can only be done (in Pac*Bell Land anyway) on
electronic switches and they have to give it to you if
requested -- free.

5. The number falls in an exchange that is about to cut to new
equipment and number assignments are frozen.

6. The number, while out of service, may have only recently been
disconnected and the "dead" time has not expired. If you agree to
accept any wrong numbers, this can be negotiated.

The above are the legitimate reasons. Nonsense reasons include:

1. That number is reserved for business. (There is no functional
difference between a business line and a residential line.)

2. That number is reserved by telco. (Telco can "unreserve" any number
it likes.)

3. That number is in a reserved hunt group (in an electronic switch).
(An electronic switch can jump-hunt anywhere it likes.)

ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com (Ed Hopper) (12/20/90)

mailrus!uflorida!rm1!bapat@uunet.uu.net (Subodh Bapat) writes:

> My question is: how do the LECs decide what range of numbers in each
> prefix to reserve for whom? Are there different blocks of numbers in
> each prefix pre-reserved for, say, residential, business trunks, DID,
> and Centrex (even if such services aren't actually connected)? 305-384
> is a new prefix in the rapidly expanding West Broward county area, and
> it's not even clear that the demographics have developed enough to the
> point of presenting a well-defined customer mix profile.

> Can anyone with any LEC background or knowledge shed any light on such
> number allocation policies?

Well, my LEC background is getting ancient (1982), but here goes.

Assume that Megacorp's DID PBX uses NNX-1000 to NNX-2500.  You want
NNX-2754.  The next 500 numbers could easily be "reserved" for
Megacorp.  I know I made exactly those sorts of "reservations" for my
customers several times.  Mountain Bell (now AKA US West) did not
charge for these, of course, that was a simpler time.

Ed Hopper

BBS: 713-997-7575  ehopper@attmail.com  ehopper@ehpcb.wlk.com

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (12/21/90)

In article <15515@accuvax.nwu.edu>, mailrus!uflorida!rm1!bapat@
uunet.uu.net (Subodh Bapat) writes:

>Much to my chagrin, however, Southern Bell told me I couldn't have
>this number because it was "reserved for business use". The same was
>true of some of the other numbers I asked for. In fact, the only
>numbers that seemed to be available were in the 7000-8000 range.

Last time I ordered a phone line (residential), I tried to get the
suffix 7337 (spells my last name), in any prefix.  The agent was very
nice about it, said there was no charge, but that this suffix was not
available in any of the local prefixes.  I found this hard to believe
since there are about a dozen prefixes serving this area.

Then I did some math.  Out of about 10000 numbers in any given prefix,
only about 4000 (8^4) will be "desirable" (in the sense that you can
spell something with them).  Of these, not all are really usable,
since you need a certain number of vowels, for example.

Two possibilities come to mind.  Either the phone company reserves
these numbers, or they have all been snatched up by businesses.  It
would be interesting to find out whether business users pay extra for
vanity phone numbers.

I'm in Michigan Bell land, NOrmandy-5 exchange.

On a completely unrelated subject -- in the mux room of our local CO
there are three BBN C-30s sitting in one corner.  Any idea what they
might be doing?  Did BBN have a clearance sale when the Arpanet went
out of business?  Are my phone calls being routed by IMPs?

Paul.Schleck@iugate.unomaha.edu (Paul Schleck) (12/23/90)

John Higdon writes:

>6. The number, while out of service, may have only recently been
>disconnected and the "dead" time has not expired. If you agree to
>accept any wrong numbers, this can be negotiated.

That brings up an interesting point.  Just how long does the phone
company wait before reassigning numbers?  According to my mother,
calls for the previous subscriber *never* happened in the past (my
mother is 58).  In recent years, when she moves and/or switches phone
numbers, she complains about receiving a significant number of calls
for the previous owner of the number. "Stupid phone company doesn't
give its numbers a chance to cool off anymore!" she complains.  Is
this just my mother's imagination or has Ma Bell, in her hunger for
numbers to assign in populated areas, shortened the "cooling off" time
to less than ideal?

My mother lives in the Washington DC area, by the way.

Paul W. Schleck, KD3FU  pschleck@alf.unomaha.edu   (402) 291-6176

 --- Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.12 r.5
[1:285/27@fidonet] Neb. Inns of Court 402/593-1192 (1:285/27.0)

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (12/24/90)

|That brings up an interesting point.  Just how long does the phone
|company wait before reassigning numbers?  According to my mother,
|calls for the previous subscriber *never* happened in the past (my
|mother is 58).

|My mother lives in the Washington DC area, by the way.

The reuse time varies inversely with the number of empty assignments.
The DC area has been hurting for years (After all, it's the only place
[other than John Higdon's house ;-} ] where the phone to people ratio
is >1.0) hence the recent mandatory NPA dialing.

I've often talked Assigning into giving me numbers that were too
'fresh' but the price is lots of wrong numbers.