[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Mail Update: Internet Gateway Announced

ehopper@attmail.com (12/23/90)

This was posted on AT&T Mail Wed. Dec. 19, 1990:

THE INTERNET GATEWAY
====================

The Internet Gateway provides Internet e-mail users with a method of
communication to AT&T Mail.  The Interconnect consisits of various
private e-mail networks and uses an addressing format better know as
Domain Addressing Service (DAS).

A domain address consists of a user name, followed by an @ sign and/or
% sign and a domain name, which is usually the system name.

Example:

        jdoe@attmail.com

SENDING E-MAIL TO INTERNET USERS
================================

To send e-mail from the AT&T MailService to the Internet community use
the UUCP addressing style.

Example:

        internet!system.domain!username

Translates to:

        internet!princeton.edu!jdoe

If you are sending e-mail to an Internet user whose e-mail address may
be in the RFC 822 format (user@domain), you must translate the RFC
address before sending your message to an Internet receipient.

        username@system.domain (Internet user's address)

        internet!system.domain!username (to a UUCP address)

Example:
        username%system2@system.domain (Internet user's address)

Translates to:
        internet!system.domain!system2!username

SENDING E-MAIL FROM INTERNET
============================

To send e-mail to the AT&T Mail Service, Internet users can choose
either the RFC 822 or UUCP addressing style. The Internet recognizes
attmail.com as the domain identifier for AT&T Mail when electronic
messages are sent through the gateway. Although many Internet users
choose to send e-mail using the RFC 822 addressing style, the UUCP
style is also available on many UNIX systems on the Internet, but not
every system supports UUCP. Below are examples of both addressing
styles:

RFC 822 Addressing: username@attmail.com

Example:

        jsmith@attmail.com

UUCP Addressing: attmail.com!username

Example:

        attmail.com!jdoe

Although e-mail can be sent through the Internet gateway, surcharged
services, such as Telex, FAX, COD, U.S. Mail, overnight, urgent mail
and messages destined to other ADMDs connected to AT&T Mail are not
deliverable.  If you are an Internet e-mail user attempting to use a
surcharged service and are not registered on AT&T Mail, you will not
be able to send your message, and will be automatically notified.
Below is a list of surcharged services that are unavailable to
Internet users.

*  FAX
*  Telex
*  COD
*  U.S. Mail
*  Overnight
*  Administrative Management Domain (ADMD) Messages

SENDING E-MAIL TO BITNET USERS
==============================

To send e-mail to BITNET users from AT&T Mail, enter:

        internet!host.bitnet!user

SENDING E-MAIL TO UUNET USERS
=============================

To send e-mail to UUNET users from AT&T Mail via the Internet Gateway,
enter:

        attmail!internet!uunet!system!user

INTERNET RESTRICTIONS
=====================

The following commercial restrictions apply to the use of the Internet
Gateway.

*  Users are prohibited to use the Internet to carry traffic between
   commercial (for profit) electronic messaging systems.

*  Advertising and solicting i.e., messages offering goods or services
   for sale or offers of jobs.

*  Provision of for-profit service, other than electronic messaging to
   Internet users, is permitted (e.g., database services) if such
   service is used for scholarly research purposes and its costs are
   borne by individual or institutional subscription.

[Moderator's Note: So there you have it! The official announcement
from AT&T Mail describing how to get mail beteen Internet and ATTMail.
Remember, the key coming this way seems to be they hand off everything
to the Internet for further routing, so be sure to get 'internet!' in
as the first part of the address, followed -- using the 'bang' method
of addressing -- the actual internet address. This would include
Bitnet, Fido and assorted other points.  It is unfortunate that AT&T
never did send me a copy of this, despite requests. But at least we
now have an official go-ahead for using the gateway.  PAT]

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (peter) (12/24/90)

In article <15656@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ehopper@attmail.com writes:

> *  Users are prohibited to use the Internet to carry traffic between
>    commercial (for profit) electronic messaging systems.

I haven't seen this one before? Is this perhaps just AT&T trying to
keep people from realizing they now have access to MCI and Compu$erve
customers ... and thus are now selling what is purely a commodity
service?

Peter da Silva  (peter@taronga.hackercorp.com)
                (peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)

[Moderator's Note: I doubt that is their motive simply because AT&T
Mail and MCI Mail subscribers have been interconnected directly for
some time now, and MCI Mail customers have been interconnected
directly with Compuserve people for some time now. Neither MCI or AT&T
Mail need the Internet to route their inter-commercial network
traffic. And yes, I have heard it said -- but can't immediatly put my
finger on the reference -- that the Internet is not designed nor
intended to function as a switchboard for third parties not otherwise
using the net. That is, at least one end -- sender or recipient -- to
the mail is supposed to be here on the Internet to start with. It may
be stretching the rules a little to even allow routing of the form
'internet!bitnet!etc' and 'internet!fidonet!etc' but that can be done.
Both MCI and AT&T Mail reach dozens of other commercial networkd
direct, both here in the USA and many other countries.  PAT]