[comp.dcom.telecom] Holiday Vacation Break: Back in About a Week

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (12/25/90)

This is more or less the final issue of 1990, however I may issue one
or two more over the weekend if any news of importance comes along.
Otherwise TELECOM Digest will resume publication about the middle of
next week as the new year and the new decade gets under way. Or are
you like me, insisting that the new decade began a year ago, despite
what the calendar puritans say?

To close this issue, and probably this year, I've attached a couple
quotes of interest received from readers. The one is from a .signature
file I deleted when an article from the reader first appeared. The
other was sent along specifically for your enjoyment today.

First, a very wise business decision by Western Union over a hundred
years ago which they probably still wish they could change. Gabe
Wiener sent this with an article some time ago:

Gabe Wiener - Columbia Univ.  "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings
gabe@ctr.columbia.edu          to be seriously considered as a means of
gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu    communication. The device is inherently of
72355.1226@compuserve.com      no value to us."  -Western Union memo, 1877

Thanks to Gabe for sending that along. Now a thought from Mark Twain:

  From: 99700000 <haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu>
  Subject: Holiday Greetings From Mark Twain

"It is my heart-warm and world-embracing Christmas hope and aspiration
that all of us - the high, the low, the rich , the poor, the admired,
the despised, the loved, the hated, the civilized, the savage - may
eventually be gathered together in a heaven of everlasting rest and
peace and bliss -- except the inventor of the telephone."

                	Mark Twain, 1890

Let's being 1991 with new topics please: No 'Re' messages on existing
threads, most of which have worn thin. Please hold your articles and
do not mail them here before about December 29 - 30.

In case we don't chat again for a week or so, have a very happy new
year!

Patrick Townson